Worst Injury In Hockey History?

becoh

Jun 7, 2011
London
Has to be Crosby in game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. I mean, you really really have to be injured to leave with your team down by 1 in game 7 of the Cup Finals. Especially since you're the captain afterall.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Yeah, they inserted a steel spike, fixating his leg in upright position. Not only did he not run or skate after the injury, his death came as a direct consequence of the complications from his leg injury.

Well, I don't know if the heart attack was a complication of the injury. I think the most common theory attributes it to excessive alcohol consumption combined with being completely sedentary and being under a lot of mental stress.

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
"There have been claims recently from musico-journo Dave Bidini that Ed Kea's drowning was suicide, not an accident. Asked him where he got this info and he replied that it came from Kea family member(s)"

I wonder if the Kea tragedy should do another thing and that is highlight the orgins of a very dirty little secret of the modern game that is finally coming to roost with the concussion lawsuits being filed by former players. The "finishing your check" is a very dirty tactic and from the accounts I've read about the incident, it seems that George McPhee could have very well possibly avoided very seriously injuring Eddie by slowing down somewhat and not hitting him full force the way he did when Eddie was for those two or three seconds probably fully focusing on the puck and not who may have been converging on him. For years afterwards, all we got about the Kea incident were lectures about wearing helmets.

It does not take much to visualize, however, had McPhee hit ("finishing his check" as he had been probably coached to do so) someone like Steve Payne (or anyone else a few years younger than Kea and quite likely wearing headgear), that player may not have suffered the severe and permanent injuries Kea did. But still probably have been finished for the night but then back in the lineup the next game or the one afterwards and most likely vulnerable to another concussion and its continued problems. I recall reading in Jeremy Roenick's last book about how during his first or second exhibition game as a Chicago Blackhawks rookie, his coach Mike Keenan yelling and swearing at him for allegedly failing to "finish his check". Forgive me for dredging up an older thread here, but am curious if "finishing your check" has been discussed as it should concerning the players' lawsuits.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Zednik is very unlucky.He had a very bad concussion and was never the same after that.Then he had his throat sliced, a bit like Malarchuk but to a lesser degree I think.

Montreal ones:

McCleary
Pacioretty

I also saw a guy broke his leg or something in the MLB.It was in the 1990s and I don't remember his name.His leg twisted in such an unnatural way that I almost felt the pain.I really hated watching that leg twist like that.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I just checked Malarchuk's wikipedia, and wow some stuff about the incident is ****ed up:

Many spectators were physically sickened by the sight. The excessive amount of blood caused eleven fans to faint, two more to suffer heart attacks and three players to vomit on the ice

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Has anybody mentioned Ace Bailey yet?

Dont believe so but yes, ranks right up there. Ted Green another. Lou Fontinato.... Doesnt get any worse than Bill Masterton... For just having your stomach
hit the floor, Clint Malarchuk in March 89. Severed jugular. Something like 9 people in the stands fainted & 2 had heart attacks it was so disturbing.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Herb Dickenson, November 5, 1952 career ending eye injury.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/d/dickehe01.html

Yes, that was extremely tragic. Serious sniper with Guelph of the OHA. On his way to Stardom, playing on the 1st Line in NY with Paul Ronty & Wally Hergesheimer. Struck in the eye by an errant puck during a warmup in a game against Toronto. Career ended.... Before Andy Bathgates arrival I believe, but those two on the PP wouldve been very dangerous indeed.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Doug Barkley left blind in one eye. Career ended by Doug Mohns high stick.

Ted Green had to live with a metal plate in his head after Wayne Maki stick swinging incident.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad