Worst Hockey books ever

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Matti Hagman - Stadin Kingi by Marko Lempinen is a pretty damn bad book. It's really narrow and lacks meat badly. I hope someone makes a twice as thick book about the best center Finland has ever produced. Best hockey iq by far, with Sebastian Aho finally as a possible heir to carry the torch. The book follows a grand tradition of shitty Finnish hockeybooks that are very short in text. Only the Jarkko Ruutu book really has meat in it and stuff that's perhaps not known and obvious.
ps. OK, Meidän Päivä has some merit too.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Matti Hagman - Stadin Kingi by Marko Lempinen is a pretty damn bad book. It's really narrow and lacks meat badly. I hope someone makes a twice as thick book about the best center Finland has ever produced. Best hockey iq by far, with Sebastian Aho finally as a possible heir to carry the torch. The book follows a grand tradition of ****ty Finnish hockeybooks that are very short in text. Only the Jarkko Ruutu book really has meat in it and stuff that's perhaps not known and obvious.

... :laugh: so "some merit" afterall Merya.... and sometimes thats ok with books, particularly about something that you love like hockey. That you do get something out of it. I think I posted earlier that one book I thought dreadful & surprising me that it was, was Bob McCown's book.... McCowns Law: 100 Hockey Arguments..... not because it was written badly, wasnt researched properly & full of errors or whatever, it was just some (not all but enough) of his "arguments" that I felt ill conceived. Amateur. Clearly no depth of understanding & shouldve just stuck to what he does know HOWEVER..... A- for Effort..... But, it did "annoy me". So much so that I could barely finish it but finish it I did.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I used to love those books. Probably got everyone from 71 to 78. They used to let us order the books in school.

71 to 78? Used to order them through school as well, some reason those were the only 2 yrs available as I would have ordered one every year. They were good for the age true enough and had great BW pics that you didn't see often back then, which is the only reason these survived.

Merya

Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
... :laugh: so "some merit" afterall Merya.... and sometimes thats ok with books, particularly about something that you love like hockey.

It's about a very controversial time in the Finnish national team. It explains only the viewpoint of coach Raimo Summanen. Hence only "some merit". It's an odd book in other ways as well, or an early look at the mind of a genious who indeed is probably utterly insane. He became much more excentric after...
ps. yeah slight OT, I wanted to mention couple good Finnish hockey books along the really bad one. Patriotic free commercial. :P

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It's about a very controversial time in the Finnish national team. It explains only the viewpoint of coach Raimo Summanen. Hence only "some merit". It's an odd book in other ways as well, or an early look at the mind of a genious who indeed is probably utterly insane. He became much more excentric after...

Oh? I might enjoy that then Merya. I like me some crazy people. :laugh:

Reactions: DaveG

Merya

Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Oh? I might enjoy that then Merya. I like me some crazy people. :laugh:
Unfortunately I couldn't find a translation from Finnish sources or library of congress. :/
e: Maybe try learning finnish? Afterall, we're the only country with Canada, that has hockey as clear number one sport. ;)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Unfortunately I couldn't find a translation from Finnish sources or library of congress. :/

No I kind of assumed it wasnt in translation however... I do read a little bit of Finn, enough to struggle through... speak enough of it to seriously upset anyone of Finnish extraction that speaks the language fluently.... Mostly swear words... curses.... food & beverage references of course... at Customs, Helsinki... Tulli Mies with his "kuljetatko mitaan aseita tai huumeita"?.... I always like to respond with "why, why yes, yes I am. Joo. Mita tarvitset?... Bit broken up I suppose but they understand. Everytime. Gracious hosts. Little office off to the side.... Thats always good for a laugh.

Last edited:

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Adrian Dater - Blood Fued. Terrible writing, one of the worst books I've ever read.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Jonesy by...surprise, Keith Jones is pretty bad
like he kept out all of the good stories he must have accumulated by playing in the league for a decade on purpose

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
71 to 78? Used to order them through school as well, some reason those were the only 2 yrs available as I would have ordered one every year. They were good for the age true enough and had great BW pics that you didn't see often back then, which is the only reason these survived.
Maybe it was only those two years. I remember I used to get a lot of hockey books through them. One I still have is the history of the Stanley cup which had a lot of the more colorful stories of its past. Which for some reason didn’t include the Rangers pissing in the cup in 1940

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Maybe it was only those two years. I remember I used to get a lot of hockey books through them. One I still have is the history of the Stanley cup which had a lot of the more colorful stories of its past. Which for some reason didn’t include the Rangers pissing in the cup in 1940

Made me curious, Amazon has a few other years available, oldest one I found was 1969. I guess they were not available every year from Scholastic or whatever that book club was.

Reactions: sharkhawk

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
How about Roy MacGregor's 1993 screed "Road Games"? I took a read through it back when it first came out and then years later (must have been at the local public library) and found on both occasions the arrogance and posturing in the book that very repulsive and basically insufferable.
I loved this book. I was always fascinated by the 93 season (I was 10 when I got into hockey in 94, you can guess why), and I learned a lot that I never otherwise would have.

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
Not the worst books but I found the two books I've read in the past couple years on Bobby Orr to be rather dull.
I believe they were 'Searching for Bobby Orr' and 'Orr: My Story'

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
My vote would go to Bob McCown's The 100 Greatest Hockey Arguments. You could honestly take any member off this board, pick 100 of their posts at random, put in a book, and it would be more intelligent than this. A lot of the "arguments" are just different variations of him saying that fighting should be banned. His "lists" aren't much better.

Prime example is his list of the greatest goalies ever. He has Georges Vezina at #5. That's not the problem. The problem was the reasoning he gave for it, which honestly went something like "I don't know much about Vezina, but he must've been pretty good if there's a trophy named after him, so he makes my list."

He also named Phil Housley as the best player to never win a Stanley Cup. I have no idea how this guy wrote a hockey book. He doesn't know a lick about hockey.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Matti Hagman - Stadin Kingi by Marko Lempinen is a pretty damn bad book. It's really narrow and lacks meat badly. I hope someone makes a twice as thick book about the best center Finland has ever produced. Best hockey iq by far, with Sebastian Aho finally as a possible heir to carry the torch. The book follows a grand tradition of ****ty Finnish hockeybooks that are very short in text. Only the Jarkko Ruutu book really has meat in it and stuff that's perhaps not known and obvious.

Not only that but that's the book that claims that the (late '70s) Boston Bruins "concentrated on fighting", and thus was a wrong team for Hagman. (Certainly more of a blue collar team than skills team, and Don Cherry as a coach wasn't ideal for Hagman, but come on... :help:). His later failure to make it big in Edmonton is rather lazily handled too. (Gretzky and his huge ice-time was supposedly the 'culprit'.)

Merya

Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Not only that but that's the book that claims that the (late '70s) Boston Bruins "concentrated on fighting", and thus was a wrong team for Hagman. (Certainly more of a blue collar team than skills team, and Don Cherry as a coach wasn't ideal for Hagman, but come on... :help:). His later failure to make it big in Edmonton is rather lazily handled too. (Gretzky and his huge ice-time was supposedly the 'culprit'.)
He really wasn't a nice guy at all. Still he is the best Finnish center of all time. If Aho eventually moves back to center and thrives, then there would be a challenger. Aho is the onlyone after Hagman with hockeyIQ up to the roof, since Matti.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Wanted to bring this up as I read a few hockey books recently. Most were alright, and I'd add them to the hockey history book thread if I could find it (and if it's revived I'll be glad to add there). But one in particular is deserving of mention in the worst book section:

The Ovechkin Project: A Behind-The-Scenes Look at Hockey's Most Dangerous Player by Damien Cox and Gare Joyce.

Going in I should have known that as a book written by Cox it would be bad (see my comments about his ghost-written Brodeur autobiography above), but Joyce isn't too bad so maybe it would balance out. It did not, frankly was terrible. To start with, it was not done with the consent of Ovechkin, so his perspective is completely absent, and all references to him are second-hand. That doesn't necessarily make a bad book, but this one was.

First, there are several obvious errors throughout the book, ones that any seasoned hockey fan would notice, and one would expect an experienced journalist and book publisher would catch. Things like a "1988 Canada Cup", referring to a "Rich Stadium" for the 2007 Winter Classic (it had been Ralph Wilson Stadium for about a decade by that point), noting Lester Patrick as the Rangers coach in 1940 (Frank Boucher had taken over), and saying Crosby and Stamkos shared the 2010 Art Ross Trophy for goal scoring (they shared the Rocket Richard; the Art Ross of course being for points, which Henrik Sedin won that year). These are beyond embarrassing for two people who are literally paid to write about hockey, and while some may think it's pedantic to note, I would think people here would understand.

Next, the book has an unusual focus: it covers Ovechkin's rookie season over parts of two pages, and the first three seasons of his career in less than five. However it spends ten pages detailing a meaningless game between the Capitals and Penguins in 2010, and then exact detail on the 2010 first round playoff series between Washington and Montreal. One would be forgiven for not knowing Ovechkin scored 65 goals one season, the first time in a decade someone had scored that many, or that he won the Art Ross Trophy the same year, as they are quickly passed over. Instead pages are spent critiquing the coaching techniques of Viacheslav Bykov, who led the Russians at the 2010 Winter Olympics. On multiple occasions the writers outright suggest broadcaster Pierre Maguire knew more about what was going on than Bykov did, and while Bykov should be criticized for his efforts, Maguire is not exactly a good comparable.

There is also considerable emphasis placed on Crosby. This of course is to be expected in writing about Ovechkin, however the way the book fawns over Crosby, seeing no fault in him, while Ovechkin is perceived to be full of errors, is grating, and at times it feels like the book is written about Crosby and not Ovechkin (Joyce of course wrote a book on Crosby a couple years before this, and had a second one published in 2019 extolling the virtues of Crosby as the best player in NHL history).

Lastly there is an undue attack on Ovechkin the person, and perceived slights towards the media. Again, pages are spent on some insignificant time he brushed off Ken Campbell, and undue weight is spent on Ovechkin signing with an ad agency, and then worrying about the agency's investment in Ovechkin. It comes across as a couple writers angry that Ovechkin wouldn't talk to them, so they want to showcase him as someone unfriendly with the media, which is definitely not something that one could say about Ovechkin, especially in the early years of his NHL career.

Hopefully there will come a time when a real biography of Ovechkin is written. But this is not it, and should not be considered something anyone should read with any hopes of learning anything useful about the individual.

Reactions: The Pale King

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I'm still in shock that there hasn't ever (?) been a good English-language biography of Maurice Richard or Mario Lemieux. I'd buy those in a flash if they existed. They don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad