Worst Goaltender Interference Call in History- CGY/EDM

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not sure this has been mentioned in this thread, but apparently between goalie interference/offside/video review calls - both Oilers challenging and being challenged - 14 calls in a row have gone against Edmonton.

That's almost unbelievable.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
Late to the party on this one but don't see what the fuss is about? McDavid skated through the crease and made contact that completely affected the goalie's ability to make a save on the rebound.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If they are going to call that goalie interference then every time the goalie is bumped which impacts their ability to make a save then it should be no grey area.

If that’s the case then I have no problem with that call.

It’s just based on history, that was a weak call.

Reactions: mcdraividmoto

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Late to the party on this one but don't see what the fuss is about? McDavid skated through the crease and made contact that completely affected the goalie's ability to make a save on the rebound.
There's plenty of instances where the exact same thing was NOT determined to be goaltender interference and the goal stood. It's never a black or white call.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
There's plenty of instances where the exact same thing was NOT determined to be goaltender interference and the goal stood. It's never a black or white call.

Okay, so complain about those calls. This one was correctly called as per the rules.

Players need to learn to stay out of the crease.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Okay, so complain about those calls. This one was correctly called as per the rules.

Players need to learn to stay out of the crease.
People have and are complaining. Yet the inconsistency remains. Oilers fans especially have reason to bitch about it after what happened in last years playoffs.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
If they are going to call that goalie interference then every time the goalie is bumped which impacts their ability to make a save then it should be no grey area.

If that’s the case then I have no problem with that call.

It’s just based on history, that was a weak call.
Bingo. It could have gone either way.

It's the fact that you see worse things let go, etc. Happens to every team. There is zero consistency.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

Exactly this. And he was not, like the announcers said, totally recovered and set to make the save on the opposite side. He was still recovering and scrambling into position as best as possible.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
By the rules, the refs get this one right again, just like all the other "controversial" goalie interference calls recently. This one is definitely a bit rougher than the others though, league should look into rewriting the rules to keep the review decisions more in line with the spirit of the rules.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
By the rules, the refs get this one right again, just like all the other "controversial" goalie interference calls recently. This one is definitely a bit rougher than the others though, league should look into rewriting the rules to keep the review decisions more in line with the spirit of the rules.
Isn’t the “spirit of the rules” all about allowing the goaltender to not be hindered in his attempt to stop the puck?

BigBadBears

Jun 13, 2014
The matthews call is so overblown. That’s a TSN catering to their audience issue. Not a GI.

The McDavid one is just bad.

Still though, in the end calls even themselves out. A bad call doesn’t mean the rule should be changed. That’s just being a poor sport.

North

Jun 25, 2009
The reason this is an issue is because of the refs refusing to apply the rule consistently.

If we're going to call a play like this one goalie interference, then all plays like this should be called similarly. They aren't by both the refs and the situation room.

They are the reason this is a controversy now.

There is no standard they stick to and that's why teams are confused about what constitutes goalie interference and what doesn't.

They need to get their shit together or they are going to continue to be rightfully criticized and mocked.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
This is going to be unpopular... but I think it was the right call.

McDavid applied momentum to the goalie that was opposite to the direction he needed to go to make the save. While I completely understand the outrage, It's honestly a textbook call.

It may have looked insignificant, but it did restrict the goalie from moving freely in his crease. That's exactly what goalie interference is.

Reactions: Burke the Legend

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
This is going to be unpopular... but I think it was the right call.

McDavid applied momentum to the goalie that was opposite to the direction he needed to go to make the save. While I completely understand the outrage, It's honestly a textbook call.

It may have looked insignificant, but it did restrict the goalie from moving freely in his crease. That's exactly what goalie interference is.
I agree with you and frankly am extremely surprised at the sheer amount of posts stating otherwise. This is not a blown call. McDavid’s skate makes contact with goalie → goalie slightly spins and moves to his right → is now not in same position as he would have been if McDavid has not made contact (that position being slightly to the right and not square to direction of upcoming shot) → did not make save
I don’t understand. Please someone use detail to enlighten me if I’m missing something here. He caused goalie to be out of position. This in turn caused him to not be as ready for the upcoming shot on goal as he would have been had McDavid NOT made contact.

Reactions: stampedingviking

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I agree with you and frankly am extremely surprised at the sheer amount of posts stating otherwise. This is not a blown call. McDavid’s skate makes contact with goalie → goalie slightly spins and moves to his right → is now not in same position as he would have been if McDavid has not made contact (that position being slightly to the right and not square to direction of upcoming shot) → did not make save
I don’t understand. Please someone use detail to enlighten me if I’m missing something here. He caused goalie to be out of position. This in turn caused him to not be as ready for the upcoming shot on goal as he would have been had McDavid NOT made contact.
The goalie didn’t slide to the right because Mcdavid touched him he slid to the right to stop Mcdavid from scoring. If he stayed to the left of his net while mcdavid cut across the front Mcdavid would have scored and this wouldn’t be a discussion.

Reactions: LucicDestroyedHaley

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
The goalie didn’t slide to the right because Mcdavid touched him he slid to the right to stop Mcdavid from scoring. If he stayed to the left of his net while mcdavid cut across the front Mcdavid would have scored and this wouldn’t be a discussion.

Does Newtonian Physics not apply in Edmonton? I've never been up there so I'm not sure.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
With how they have been calling goalie interference, I thought it would be a 50/50 chance either way. There was clear contact. Debatable if it impeded Rittich from making the save or not. It is one of those calls that I don't argue either way.

It most definitely was not the worst goaltending interference call ever. Heck, not even the worst one this week. I didn't think they would overturn the goal on it, but there was contact, and to me, it instantly makes it 50/50. Didn't matter much in the end though, as the Oilers won in shootout (and let's face it, getting an extra ROW wouldn't matter to them this season anyway).

mcdraividmoto

Sep 28, 2017

As countless people have stated already in this thread, if they were just consistent this would be much easier to swallow. There are two examples in this thread from last year's playoffs where it was clearly not consistent. Also, for those saying the calls even out. The Oilers have had 14 in a row against them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad