• Total voters

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
1. Filatov
2. Picard
3. Rychel
4. Carlsson

Don’t really think it’s fair to include Dano, Foudy, or Moore in this equation because

1. Dano was on track to be really good before injuries hit. And was also traded because he was a top prospect
2. Foudy is still here and this is his first full nhl season
3. Moore was also traded as a young NHL player when he was starting to get things figured out. He wasn’t anything special but he was a serviceable 4-5 dman for a while there

Filatov gets the nod over Picard because of the off ice drama and the hype behind him (was ranked above stamkos on some high profile scouting lists). And no offense but if you’re picking Picard you’re either too young to have experienced the Filatov years or you’re just strictly looking at stats. Picard was seen as a reach/gamble and Filatov was seen as a rock star.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
-Filatov played 44 games for the Jackets, posting 6-7-13. He was out of the NHL after 53 career games.
-Brule posted 12-20-32 in 146 games for the CBJ, and was out of the NHL after 299 career games. Mostly known for who the GM *didn't* select, though.
-Picard played all 67 of his career games with the Jackets, posting 0-2-2.
-Rychel played just 37 games for Columbus, posting 2-10-12, an was out of the league after 43 career games.

Not sure why John Moore is on this list. He was 2-6-8 in 86 games for the CBJ before being included in the Gaborik trade, but he went on to play in 544 career NHL games, including 49 more in the postseason. That's not really a bust, imo.

I think it's pretty clearly Filatov or Picard.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
dano scored at a 50pt/82gp pace as a 20-year-old rookie playing mostly with a deer-in-the-headlights rookie wennberg. then he got traded for a young top line player with term (saad), got hurt, got traded again, got hurt again, then got traded a third time.

as a player, he didn't pan out (not cbj's fault, nor is it their problem).

as a draft pick, he provided outstanding value:
- 21 points in 35gp as a rookie
- main piece in the saad trade (106 points in 2 years)
- saad was then the main piece in a panarin trade (169 points in 2 years)

add those up and they got 296 points (in 4.5 seasons) of production out of the 27th overall pick. that draft was a decade ago and only 11 players have surpassed that total on their own.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
1st off, honorable mention to Gilbert Brule, this is more on Dougie Mac for allegedly not listening to any of his scouts, but lets do a deep dive.

Lets look at players you listed.

Picard: 2 points for the Jackets. Traded for Chad Kolarik (career minor leaguer)
Filatov: 13 points for the Jackets. Traded for pick that turned into T.J Tynan (career minor leaguer)
Moore: 8 points for the Jackets. Traded in a package for Marián Gáborík (we know who he is)
Rychel: 11 points of the Jackets. Traded for Scott Harrington (solid 7th d-man for the Jackets)
Dano: 21 points for the Jackets. Traded in a package for Brandon Saad (we know who he is)
Carlsson: 16 points for Jackets. Lost via free agency
Foudy: 10 points for the Jackets. Still with the club.

Its down to Picard and Carlsson for me. I always wondered if Carlsson would have a better fate if he didn't play for the CBJ during thier greatest period of defensemen ever, but he did play during that period and he didn't develop. Yes the CBJ got nothing for him, but I will have to go with Picard.

Not only did he get a whopping 2 NHL points, half of what Pascal Leclaire got, and he was a goalie, its the lowest point total by any CBJ 1st round pick who has played for the club not named David Jiříček (he gets a pass for obvious reason.) But, once again going back to Dougie Mac, if Dougie was smart enough to trade this bust when he was just a prospect, the Jackets would have landed Chris Pronger.

Reactions: DJA

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
And no offense but if you’re picking Picard you’re either too young to have experienced the Filatov years or you’re just strictly looking at stats. Picard was seen as a reach/gamble and Filatov was seen as a rock star.
Huh? Picard was drafted 4 years before Filatov so how would that make someone too young to have experienced Filatov?

Anyway, I picked Picard because 2 career points in 60+ games as a forward is a nearly impossible stat to obtain. (And I think you’re misremembering him as a “project” - he had scored 40+ goals in juniors the prior year and I think led the league)

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Huh? Picard was drafted 4 years before Filatov so how would that make someone too young to have experienced Filatov?
My punishment for trying to type to fast and not getting my thought out well.

Meant to say too young to have lived through the Filatov hype train. Dude was on a level with Rick Nash in our fan base after the hat trick.

I just watched footage of that draft recently. Bob McKenzie had him in the late teens-early 20s and the TSN desk was talking about how “mature” he was, however his skating stride was a mess and was a massive concern with scouts.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
My punishment for trying to type to fast and not getting my thought out well.

Meant to say too young to have lived through the Filatov hype train. Dude was on a level with Rick Nash in our fan base after the hat trick.

I just watched footage of that draft recently. Bob McKenzie had him in the late teens-early 20s and the TSN desk was talking about how “mature” he was, however his skating stride was a mess and was a massive concern with scouts.
I lived through both. They both sucked.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Depends on how you evaluate it. From a “worst pick based on draft spot” perspective, I think it has to be Picard. How many top-10 pick forwards never score even one single NHL goal in their entire careers?

BUT… from a “worst pick compared to the possible alternative(s)” perspective has to be Brule (even though he himself was definitely a better player than Picard). We all have heard the story to know why.

Obviously a guy like Rychel was terrible, but he was “only” drafted at 19th. Carlsson was late 20s. That’s a different level of standard than a top-10 pick.

Reactions: cslebn

614 CBJ

Jul 12, 2022
Raleigh, NC
Picard was the worst player drafted at such a high slot. His stats are almost not replicable for a forward.

Brule was the worst pick because Mr. “Smartest Guy in the Room” Dougie ignored his scouts and passed on Kopitar.

using this logic Carlsson just as bad. Jarmo could have taken Aho with that pick

Last edited:

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
Add me to the ranks of the #StillBitterAboutBrule.

I'm voting Picard.
Filatov at least had moments where he looked like a prospect.
Picard was just WTF from the moment they called his name. Nothing against the guy, but that was a clear case of front office ineptitude.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I voted Picard.

Filatov was an odd situation. CBJ was framing him as the anti-Zherdev. But he ended up subleasing Zherdev's condo and I remember how his agent (and the JAckets) screwed up and didn't have cable and internet on when he moved in. He was sitting out in the hallway, borrowing the neighbors wifi signal... He was one of the several CBJ prospects that in his first abbreviated season he looked good, but when he came back for next season it wasn't the same guy (plus the whole Hitch bencing him and him going back to Russia). Again he had the talent IMO.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Forgot about Brule. He never had a chance with that regime. Throw him behind Picard for #3 biggest bust. I could make a case for second due to his hype and what happened at the draft (with Doug over ruling his head scout).

I still can’t believe people are picking Picard over Filatov. People must not remember Filatov’s hype.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The question in the thread title and the question in the poll have different answers.

The thread title question asks who was the worst CBJ first round pick. If that means which player (of those listed) is the worst player, the answer is Picard.

But I tend to agree with CBJW on the hype around Filatov making him a bigger bust. But he was a better player than Picard.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Forgot about Brule. He never had a chance with that regime. Throw him behind Picard for #3 biggest bust. I could make a case for second due to his hype and what happened at the draft (with Doug over ruling his head scout).

I still can’t believe people are picking Picard over Filatov. People must not remember Filatov’s hype.
Fair but here’s the deal. Picard’s skill just didn’t translate to the NHL - he just wasn’t good enough. Filatov‘s talent was but his head wasn’t. That’s sometimes harder to glean for a GM.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
The question in the thread title and the question in the poll have different answers.

The thread title question asks who was the worst CBJ first round pick. If that means which player (of those listed) is the worst player, the answer is Picard.

But I tend to agree with CBJW on the hype around Filatov making him a bigger bust. But he was a better player than Picard.

Or you could interpret it with the pick value and the decision tree on making the pick and come up Brule ;)

Pickard had been #3 in the final NA skaters from the CSB.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad