Worst draft pick over the last decade?

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
Glennie was pretty highly ranked, I don't remember too many people being surprised he went 8th. I remember a few posters wanting him with the Oilers pick.

I remember a lot of people being pretty disapponted with the Alex Plante pick at the time, and it looks even worse in hindsight. 3 first rounders in that 2007 draft, and Edmonton ended up with almost nothing to show for it.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Erik Gudbranson, 3rd overall, 2010, Panthers. Tallon's first pick as Panthers' GM.

391 GP 14 G 40 A 54 PTS 0.14 PPG 399 PIM -70

There's none worse than this.

End thread.

Doesn't fit what the OP is talking about. Gudbranson was seen as one of the top defensemen in his draft class, with "untapped" potential. It wasn't a head scratcher pick.
Short term, he fit the team to a T due to his toughness and physical play. He just didn't develop as much as expected for a guy taken that high.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Have to go with either Scott Glennie or Kyle Beach. Both deserved to get drafted, but not that high. Glennie basically leached off Brayden Schenn.

Yakupov deserves a mention, but I think his development was mostly screwed up. I think Tampa should sign Yakupov as that's almost the most perfect fit for him at this time. Cheap signing, Russian factor, he could possibly make a huge comeback there. I'd say any team with Cap problems like Chicago, but he has to sign in Tampa if he still wants to be in the NHL.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Not when Reinhart went even earlier than him in the same draft. Koekkoek is just a guy who's in a bad position being on a stacked team so can't get the chances he needs. With a change of scenery he could become a possible top 4 guy still, at least a bottom pair one. He's showed some decent flashes already, this is his rookie year too not like he's been in the league for years and can't crack the lineup.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not when Reinhart went even earlier than him in the same draft. Koekkoek is just a guy who's in a bad position being on a stacked team so can't get the chances he needs. With a change of scenery he could become a possible top 4 guy still, at least a bottom pair one. He's showed some decent flashes already, this is his rookie year too not like he's been in the league for years and can't crack the lineup.
Except the question was more about bad picks that went against consensus. Reinhart was a worse pick but was also highly touted.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Its a bit more than a decade ago, but the worst one is probably the reach for Thomas Hickey in 2007. He was a projected mid-first at best and ended up being waiver fodder for the team that drafted him. Although he turned into a serviceable player for the Isles, he really brought nothing of value to the Kings which is a massive mistake for a 4th overall pick and he was a big reach at the time.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Except the question was more about bad picks that went against consensus. Reinhart was a worse pick but was also highly touted.

Koekkoek was highly touted too, especially going into his draft year but injury dropped him in the rankings. Preseason rankings had him with an average in the top 15. He had a good start to the year too so could've easily held his spot or moved up. They reached a bit for him it so did the Islanders for Reinhart because most had him out of the top 5. To date Koekkoek has played more games and produced better and looks like he can still make an impact in the NHL while Reinhart might not play another game.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
NAIL YAKUPOV

Rare for a first overall to bust as much as he did in this modern age.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I remember the old HFNYR 2010 draft thread pretty agonized over passing up on Gormley too who had basically a goose egg career in the league.

Had more games than McIlrath though :facepalm:
Oh man yea... I remember that draft so much. I think a lot of us thought Gormley was a sure thing. Man what a bust these players became.

Reactions: Bob Richards

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Erik Gudbranson, 3rd overall, 2010, Panthers. Tallon's first pick as Panthers' GM.

391 GP 14 G 40 A 54 PTS 0.14 PPG 399 PIM -70

There's none worse than this.

End thread.

Was it a bad pick at the time though?

This thread seems to be talking about picks that people knew were bad from the beginning and I remember Gudbranson getting a bunch of praise at the draft.

Richard Moistmaker

May 9, 2018
Yeah. I've seen stats for guys who get the kind of label that Biggs got. The safe but low ceiling picks actually have a hilariously bad hit rate. Guys that get labeled as boom-or-bust picks has a higher hit rate compared to draft position.

It's interesting how much that has changed. Detroit's 2017 draft look horrible. Just went through it and outside Rasmussen, I don't know if they had one player that still look like a real prospect. And I'm not a fan of the Rasmussen pick either.
Dude, its 2018....

No where near enough time to judge a draft from last year.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Hickey was really off the board in 2007. Central scouting had him 26th among NA Skaters, LA took him 4th. Notable players LA took Hickey ahead of that were ranked solidly ahead of him: Voracek, McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Pacioretty, Couture, etc.

He's not a complete bust, it took him a long time to develop, but he is an NHLer now. But was a very bad value pick for 4th OA, especially considering he was a major major reach at the time.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Dude, its 2018....

No where near enough time to judge a draft from last year.
You can judge a draft any time you want, as long as you do it knowing how much can change going forward.

All I'm saying is that the draft looked bad right away for them, and early returns are not promising. Guys who are trending the way of Kotkansalo, Fraser, Setkov, and Zablocki pretty much never becomes anything. Doesn't mean they won't turn it around and take huge steps going forward, just that the odds are against them.

Went right near he was suppose to go....NEXT!
He was not supposed to go anywhere. It's not a scripted event. The consensus list only tells you the subjective opinion of a few people, most of whom have absolutely nothing to do with the event itself. They're good for an at-glance impression of the draft, and not much more.

Reactions: schnapshot

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Probably not the worst as he's at least doing something in the NHL, but I don't know if there was a single Penguins fan that liked the Derrick Pouliot draft pick at the time.

One of the rare times HFBoards hive mind was right: Forsberg or Trouba >>>>>>>>>> Pouliot

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Paradis has to take it for me, with the Rangers taking McIlrath over Fowler trailing by a hair. Paradis is what happens when your teams scouts and management are completely disorganized. Literally leading up to that pick guys that the Canes were looking at were dropping off the board one by one, to the point that by the time it got to their pick they had nobody that they had seriously considered left. So... instead of trying to trade down in to the 2nd round and pick up even a 4th to do so and take the opportunity to regroup, they instead take a guy that they were looking at with their 2nd round pick (which wasn't until #51) and even then would have been a reach. Two picks later Detroit traded down with Tampa to move down 4-5 picks receiving a 3rd in the process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad