Worst draft pick over the last decade?

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
It might be McIlrath, yeah. From the very second he was picked, it looked bad. Griffin Reinhart was also another real bad one, but there was a delay of at least half a year after he was drafted before it started looking like a seriously bad pick.

Reactions: Riseonfire and MC2D

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm not talking biggest bust, like a guy who was projected to be great and then flopped like Yakupov. There's a distinction.

Is it the rags taking McIlrath with the 10th pick back in 2010?

That was certainly a head scratching choice. Best part was Pierre McGuire going nuts that Cam Fowler was still available. He was near tears when Dallas took Jack Campbell with the next pick.

Speaking of whom, what's he up to these days? Played what, one NHL game so far?

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
That was certainly a head scratching choice. Best part was Pierre McGuire going nuts that Cam Fowler was still available. He was near tears when Dallas took Jack Campbell with the next pick.

Speaking of whom, what's he up to these days? Played what, one NHL game so far?

I remember the old HFNYR 2010 draft thread pretty agonized over passing up on Gormley too who had basically a goose egg career in the league.

Had more games than McIlrath though :facepalm:

Reactions: HisIceness

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Agree with above posters regarding Mcllrath but I would add Scott Glennie here as well. Never understood why he was picked so high in '09 8th overall. Wasn't Top 10 prospect back then, more like mid-end of 1st rounder.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Stefan

...jk

Agree with most the awful picks mentioned in this thread. I can't recall the Gudbranson draft, was he projected to go top 5/10? Either way, brutal pick.

I'll throw Pouliot into the mix for dropping a few spots from most rankings with Trouba and Forsberg still available.

Reactions: Ignatius

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Biggs was pretty bad. Nonis said he had a 3rd line ceiling when he took him but was a near-guarantee to get close to it. Ended up with a career-high 9 points in 57 AHL games. To make it worse, Nonis traded up to get him, so they had this guy targeted. Anaheim took Rakell and Gibson with the picks they got from us.

Nonis still has a job in the NHL.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
McIltrash was a goon...who the rags took because Marian Gaborik got beat up once the year prior

Not defending the McIlrath pick, but I remember going into that draft their was talk he might slip into that top 15, I guess the Rangers just jumped on the hype train. All that being said they should have went with Fowler(ie the obvious pick that that point)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Biggs was pretty bad. Nonis said he had a 3rd line ceiling when he took him but was a near-guarantee to get close to it. Ended up with a career-high 9 points in 57 AHL games. To make it worse, Nonis traded up to get him, so they had this guy targeted. Anaheim took Rakell and Gibson with the picks they got from us.

Detroit was targeting Biggs at #24 and up to that point they had been the gold standard for a generation.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Yeah. I've seen stats for guys who get the kind of label that Biggs got. The safe but low ceiling picks actually have a hilariously bad hit rate. Guys that get labeled as boom-or-bust picks has a higher hit rate compared to draft position.

Detroit was targeting Biggs at #24 and up to that point they had been the gold standard for a generation.
It's interesting how much that has changed. Detroit's 2017 draft look horrible. Just went through it and outside Rasmussen, I don't know if they had one player that still look like a real prospect. And I'm not a fan of the Rasmussen pick either.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Yeah. I've seen stats for guys who get the kind of label that Biggs got. The safe but low ceiling picks actually have a hilariously bad hit rate. Guys that get labeled as boom-or-bust picks has a higher hit rate compared to draft position.

It's interesting how much that has changed. Detroit's 2017 draft look horrible. Just went through it and outside Rasmussen, I don't know if they had one player that still look like a real prospect. And I'm not a fan of the Rasmussen pick either.
Eh, Gustav Lindstrom is ok. Nothing too special but at least something.

Reactions: Skippy73

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Mitchell Heard - 2012, 41 overall. Not the worst in the NHL because he was a second round pick, but the worst Avs pick I can remember. We didn’t have a first that year so we waited quite a while to take him in the second. Total headscratcher even at the time. He was an energy guy in the OHL with bottom six NHL upside. He’s the kind of guy you find a dime a dozen in rounds 5-7. In round two, take your shot on the undersized skill guy.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Koekkoek over Forsberg I guess? I still think Koekkoek would be good on the right team. And we did snag Vasilevskiy in that draft.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I think the Dallas guys, Glennie and Campbell have an argument.

Glennie because it was higher than expected and the team never even interviewed the guy.

Campbell because high pick for a goalie is always a question mark. Then you add the fall of Cam Fowler and it was just awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad