Worst draft pick over the last decade?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
this is just false, 10 yrs the worst pick has to be Yakapov but nice try. Over all the worst in time may be Alexandre Daigle

Ok ? Never argued otherwise. Both picks were adressed in the OP and irrelevant to the OP, or the discussion I was having about the '15 draft.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
There’s a lot of misunderstanding in this thread. What’s being asked is who was a big reach of a pick when drafted and turned out to not be worthy of his high pick. Wheeler was a reach, but he turned out worth it (for a different team). Yakupov was the consensus first pick and was the first pick. That he ended up not worth his draft status is irrelevant to this thread. Edmonton did not reach for him. Mcilrath was a reach at his pick and turned out to not be worth his pick so he qualifies. This thread is not about who busted. It’s about who was a reach and busted.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
this is just false, 10 yrs the worst pick has to be Yakapov but nice try. Over all the worst in time may be Alexandre Daigle
You’re missing the premise of this thread. Daigle was supposed to be the first overall. Pre-draft he was expected to be the next Mario. That he did not pan out is irrelevant. He was not a reach. And then there was “The fail for Nail”. He was not a reach.

Reactions: HisIceness

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
You’re missing the premise of this thread. Daigle was supposed to be the first overall. Pre-draft he was expected to be the next Mario. That he did not pan out is irrelevant. He was not a reach. And then there was “The fail for Nail”. He was not a reach.
Thread title says "Worst draft pick over the last decade" till that is changed it is Yak. I think including the last few years is laughable as it is too soon. Should be 2013 and back 10 years to be fair.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Thread title says "Worst draft pick over the last decade" till that is changed it is Yak. I think including the last few years is laughable as it is too soon. Should be 2013 and back 10 years to be fair.
OP, if you read it, asks who was picked above his expected position and turned out that he should not have been picked that high.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I had my fingers crossed that Arizona would take Strome. Struck me as a jack of all trades, master of none kinda guy, a “safe” pick, but with lots of work to do on his skating. But lots of people saw the big Canadian C, with intangibles and a good name, and he got pushed up in the rankings.

When you consider what else was available... it really was a bad pick, IMO. I don’t see him as much more than a 2C/3C... he might prove me wrong there, but I find it hard to believe he surpasses Marner, Werenski, Provorov, Rantanen, Hanafin, or Barzal(which... come on Florida, Dallas & Boston, wtf).

Outside of maybe Hanafin, all those guys are going to wind up being cornerstone-type players.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Actually, you should back up your claim, as at the time, the multiple draft threads on the boards were all surprised by Bostons picks. You even have posters specifically mention Barzal, Chabot and Connor.

That Zboril was the best defenseman available is false in itself. At best it was debatable. Regardless though, how is it a good argument for the pick that it was made because of needs ? Do you not see how a high upside forward (three, actually) could eventually take care of those ?

NHL Central Scouting's 2015 final rankings

NHL central scouting had Zboril at 12

https://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-s-final-ranking-mcdavid-eichel-and-1.300634

McKenzie had him at 14, which is kind of unanimously viewed as the most accurate list

McKeen's Final Top 30 2015 NHL Draft Rankings

Mckeens had him at 18

So no, he was not some kind of big reach and horrble pick like you seem to think. He was picked basically right where he was expected, especially a team who needed help on D.

Reactions: Estlin

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
NHL Central Scouting's 2015 final rankings

NHL central scouting had Zboril at 12

https://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-s-final-ranking-mcdavid-eichel-and-1.300634

McKenzie had him at 14, which is kind of unanimously viewed as the most accurate list

McKeen's Final Top 30 2015 NHL Draft Rankings

Mckeens had him at 18

So no, he was not some kind of big reach and horrble pick like you seem to think. He was picked basically right where he was expected, especially a team who needed help on D.

Are you following the debate ?

You should. It's an interesting one and it puts quite the emphasis on what a disaster that 2015 draft was for Boston.

Now, since you weren't following. I called out an ignorant Bruins fans claiming Zboril was the consensus best defenseman available.

However, by all measures he wasn't.

He wasn't on these boards and in spite of you choosing the 3 rankings where he's ahead but also clearly out of the top 12 (you know, the top 12 everyone was talking about that year), many did not have him over Chabot, for example: THN, the hockey writers, Craig Button, Sportsnet, hockey prospectus amongst others. MyNhlDraft actually runs a consensus draft rankings from 7 major publications with... Chabot in front of Zboril.

So, that would make my post right: his claim was false.

But, what makes it even more of a terrible pick is the second point I've been mentioning, which you also convieniently ignore: he wasn't anywhere close to the BPA, by any consensus. Trying to argue that he was drafted for an organisational need doesn't defend the logic behind the pick, it actually does the opposite and reminds people of the old adage of drafting for BPA, always.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

You should. It's an interesting one and it puts quite the emphasis on what a disaster that 2015 draft was for Boston.

Now, since you weren't following. I called out an ignorant Bruins fans claiming Zboril was the consensus best defenseman available.

He wasn't on these boards and in spite of you choosing the 3 rankings where he's ahead but also clearly out of the top 12 (you know, the top 12 everyone was talking about that year), many did not have him over Chabot, for example: THN, the hockey writers, Craig Button, Sportsnet, hockey prospectus amongst others. MyNhlDraft actually runs a consensus draft rankings from 7 major publications with... Chabot in front of Zboril.

But, what makes it even more of a terrible pick is the second point I've been mentioning, which you also convieniently ignore: he wasn't anywhere close to the BPA, by any consensus. Trying to argue that he was drafted for an organisational need doesn't defend the logic behind the pick, it actually does the opposite and reminds people of the old adage of drafting for BPA, always.

You are so laughably wrong on every level. Starting with putting mynhldraft ahead of Bob MacKenzie.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

This does nothing to change that many reputable sources had Zboril right where the Bruins took him. Everyone has different lists.

js31

Aug 2, 2005
Keeping to the OP's question - draft reach who's flopped - here's who I got:

1. Zach Senyshyn - consensus 2nd rounder, picked right in front of Barzal and Connor, both who fell right into their laps with three picks in a row. Most egregious pick for me over the last decade.

2. Derrick Pouliot - I was at this draft, and this one came outta left field after the Pens traded Jordan Staal and got this pick. I was sure Filip Forsberg was gonna be playing on Crosby or Malkin's wing for a decade. Pouliot was expected to go in the 15-25 range if my memory serves me correct. Bad miss for the Pens, but they've done alright for themselves.

3. Slater Koekkoek - Again, similar to Pouliot, Koekkoek was expected to go a little later in the 1st round. Again, with Forsberg falling right to them, this pick was a reach that ended up hurting.

4. Samuel Morin - I think most had him going 10+ picks later. Zadorov, Morrissey, Pulock were all generally rated higher, and I think they would have been better served with any one of them instead. Time will tell.

5. Denis Gurianov - Went a little higher than expected. Still young, but again, Barzal and Connor were right there for the taking.

Reactions: schnapshot

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
For the Jackets I would say Filatov in 08.

All the talent in the world but absolutely terrible personality and no work ethic.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
You are so laughably wrong on every level. Starting with putting mynhldraft ahead of Bob MacKenzie.

No actually, I did not do that at all. I cited an example of a website that compiles rankings from 7 major publications every year. The point wasn't to put this list "in front" of Mackenzie's, which is an absurd way to understand an argument, but to highlight that Zboril was anything but a consensus best defenseman available. But then again that was a useless way to evaluate and defend a pick in itself.

This does nothing to change that many reputable sources had Zboril right where the Bruins took him. Everyone has different lists.

Yes, so let's get back to the topic of debate, which now It seems you're agreeing with. Zboril was ranked around that pick, one of the actual consensus from every reputable source had one (almost, almost two) of the available players in front. Some posters are taking issue because I suggested he was, at best, a debatable best defenseman prospect available there, which turns out is true. Regardless, that's deflecting from the real reasons why that was an awful pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad