Worst draft pick over the last decade?

Cygnusx1018

Jul 17, 2017
Stop. Zboril was the consensus best defenseman available. It was, in no way, a controversial pick at the time. Moreover, the Bruins had virtually zero defensive prospects at the time and followed up this pick with Carlo and two more defensemen picked in the first round the next two years. They needed people to play defense and using one of their 3 first round picks on the best defenseman available is, in no way, controversial. It's not even close (actual poll of actual NHL scouts predraft: https://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-s-final-ranking-mcdavid-eichel-and-1.300634)

Chabot

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
I remember watching Glennie in junior, dude was big and when fully engaged a beast. His stats back it up. Hindsight ya it didn’t work but that wasn’t there terrible of a pick at the time

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Brett Connolly was a risk that didn't work out, although a lot of the blame lies on Tampa for developing him poorly.

I get the feeling he didn't really want to play there. His demeaor when he got picked seemed to be one of "ugh, get me out of here". May have been his personality, not sure.

Seems to be doing okay in Washington.

Reactions: tarheelhockey
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Erik Gudbranson, 3rd overall, 2010, Panthers. Tallon's first pick as Panthers' GM.

391 GP 14 G 40 A 54 PTS 0.14 PPG 399 PIM -70

There's none worse than this.

End thread.

As a Columbus fan, I was hoping the Panthers would pass on Gubranson so the Jackets could take him. Then I expected them to take Gormley. I was unhappy when they made what I thought was a reach for Ryan Johansen.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Probably not the worst as he's at least doing something in the NHL, but I don't know if there was a single Penguins fan that liked the Derrick Pouliot draft pick at the time.

One of the rare times HFBoards hive mind was right: Forsberg or Trouba >>>>>>>>>> Pouliot

There was even a bit of an audible groan in the arena when Pouliot was taken.

I mean it wasn't loud like booing Philly loud, but it was more like a groan, like "dammit Ray, stop drafting more PMDs with all of our picks... AGAIN!"

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Wild's honorary mention:

Benoit Pouliot (yes he is still playing!)

Who was picked after this amazing 4th overall pick?

5th - Carey Price
11 - Anze Kopitar
12 - Marc Staal
21 - Tukka Rask
24 - TJ Oshie
28 - Matt Niskanen

So while there are probably some other's that will top the list. Benoit was nothing but a PITA to the Wild org because of his under utilization and poor results on the ice. Then you look at just those names as a Wild fan and weep.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Wild's honorary mention:

Benoit Pouliot (yes he is still playing!)

Who was picked after this amazing 4th overall pick?

5th - Carey Price
11 - Anze Kopitar
12 - Marc Staal
21 - Tukka Rask
24 - TJ Oshie
28 - Matt Niskanen

So while there are probably some other's that will top the list. Benoit was nothing but a PITA to the Wild org because of his under utilization and poor results on the ice. Then you look at just those names as a Wild fan and weep.

If I remember correctly he was supposed to go near the end of the first round. Didn’t even average a point per game in his draft year, but he was a riser throughout the year and Minnesota loves to reach for players.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Thomas Hickey is probably the worst pick I can recall. He went 15-20 slots ahead of where he was projected, and before Alzner, Voracek, McDonagh and Couture who were all ranked higher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad