Worst Cup Winning Team, Roster Wise.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Correct me if I'm wrong and feel free to continue what I was doing lol.

Just did the first 3 teams on the list cause I was getting bored, but Carolina played less regular season games against playoff teams than all 3 of them (16 Pens, 15 Hawks and 14 Kings)

Carolinas SOS that years was like 30th.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Correct me if I'm wrong and feel free to continue what I was doing lol.

Just did the first 3 teams on the list cause I was getting bored, but Carolina played less regular season games against playoff teams than all 3 of them (16 Pens, 15 Hawks and 14 Kings)

Part of the problem there is, as I mentioned earlier, that season the schedule was incredibly heavy on intradivisional play. The NHL schedule that season for each team was 32 games against your own division (8 games against each division member), 40 games against the rest of your conference (4 games against each of the other teams in your conference), and then 10 games against the other conference (one game against each member of two opposite conference divisions - that year the Southeast played the Central and Pacific, the Atlantic played the Central and Northwest, while the Northeast played the Northwest and Pacific). With only one other playoff team coming out of the Southeast that year and one of our cross-Conference series against the Central Division (which also only had two playoff teams in it) that's a heavy penalty. But that said, here's their record against the other playoff teams that year.

vs. Ottawa - 2-2-0
vs. New Jersey - 2-1-1
vs. Buffalo - 3-1-0
vs. Philadelphia - 2-0-2
vs. New York Rangers - 3-1-0
vs. Montreal - 4-0-0
vs. Tampa Bay - 3-3-2

vs. Detroit - 1-0-0
vs. Dallas - 0-0-1
vs. Nashville - 1-0-0
vs. San Jose - 0-1-0
vs. Anaheim - 1-0-0

That's good enough to earn a 22-9-6 record and 50 of their 112 points earned against other teams that made the playoffs.

That scheduling would be altered in the 2008-2009 season to 24 games against your division, 40 games against the rest of the conference, 15 games against the other conference, and 3 wildcard games and then altered again in 2013-14 to the present format.

Last edited:

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
and it has already been established that the hurricanes sucked against the southeast division that year regardless of how many of those teams made the playoffs

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Well the overwhelming number of people agree with him. Who do you think is the least talented post lockout cup winner? I'm interested in that answer

I tend to think that a team's overall performance should be a judge of their "talent" since talent level is inherently subjective for all but the very best players. Nobody is looking for who had the best 3rd line and 4th lines, or the best #5 d-man, yet those are parts of a team that still play a very big factor in wins and losses and overall contribute to the team's total "talent level."

So I guess, if I were so inclined to actually care about who is the "worst", I'd look for teams that had comparatively lower number of regular-season points.

Having said that, I think all these posts that are based around who is the "worst" at something are pretty juvenile and pointless, and only serve to upset people for no reason, so I don't participate in things like that.

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
Having said that, I think all these posts that are based around who is the "worst" at something are pretty juvenile and pointless, and only serve to upset people for no reason, so I don't participate in things like that.

If that's what you want to believe, then I am not sure why you participated in this discussion. It's like asking who is the worst HOF'er. It's just a question. The person is still in the HOF.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
If that's what you want to believe, then I am not sure why you participated in this discussion. It's like asking who is the worst HOF'er. It's just a question. The person is still in the HOF.

As I have already said at least 5 times, my only purpose is to show that the 06 Canes were not the "worst" and back that up with statistical evidence. I believe plenty enough has been produced to suggest I am correct.

But you haven't seen me going around saying such and such is the worst. That's a pointless waste of time and an exercise in negativity.

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
This is not a bash thread and I do not need a lecture about how "you don't need a ton of stars". I am aware, this is just for purposes of opinion on who do you think had the worst roster, or may the most surprising roster to win a Cup.

I was looking through some of the past teams to win it all. The 2006 Hurricanes were the #2 seed in the East, but I really am surprised looking back on their roster. Staal had a big year with 100 points, while Williams and Brind'Amour tallied 30 goals. But looking at that roster, it is shocking to me they won the Cup. Not to mention their goaltending was terrible in the regular season, even though Ward stood on his head in the playoffs.

Martin Gerber was the designated starter. In the first round, the Canes drew Montreal who won the first 2 games of the series in Raleigh. Laviolette pulled Gerber and made Ward the starter after that point, Canes won 4 in a row, and the rest is history.

The aftereffects of the lockout made the playoffs incredibly odd, Edmonton being an 8 from the West, and the Finals went 7 games.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
keep in mind that gerber had a very bad illness that he was playing through at the end of the 2006 regular season that caused him to drop 20 pounds and play like garbage down the stretch and into the playoffs (and honestly probably prevented the hurricanes from winning the #1 seed in the east and potentially the president's trophy)

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
This whole thread is stupid and nothing but a [MOD] match.

If you win the Stanley Cup then obviously you had the BEST roster that year. You can't compare rosters against others as each year is different. And saying X team is a better cup winner because they had more HOFers is such a BS reason.

If Team A has 5 future/potential HOFers and ends the season in 30th place and
Team B has 1 future/potential HOFer and ends the season in 20th place then who has the worst roster? Team A does, they came in last, therefore, their roster was worse than Team B.

No team who won the cup was the worst team to win it. It's a grind and the hardest trophy to win in sports. You don't luck into it, it's not a fluke, you were/are the BEST team for that year. Slates are wiped clean come the next season. The next season comes yet another battle of who can end on top.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
If you win the Stanley Cup then obviously you had the BEST roster that year..

That's not true.

If Edmonton had won game seven that year, they wouldn't have had the best roster in the league, and they'd be in this discussion instead of Carolina.

And that's fine. The best roster doesn't always win the Cup. That's life.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Martin Gerber was the designated starter. In the first round, the Canes drew Montreal who won the first 2 games of the series in Raleigh. Laviolette pulled Gerber and made Ward the starter after that point, Canes won 4 in a row, and the rest is history.

The aftereffects of the lockout made the playoffs incredibly odd, Edmonton being an 8 from the West, and the Finals went 7 games.

TIL that a starter that finishes 12th among starters in a 30 team league is "terrible"

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
TIL that a starter that finishes 12th among starters in a 30 team league is "terrible"

TIL you can pull statistics out of left field.

05-06: Carolina was 20th in GA/G and 16th in Save%. There are 30 teams in the league....

So I will correct my statement, Carolina had BELOW AVERAGE goaltending during the regular season. Sorry sir.

This whole thread is stupid and nothing but a [MOD] match.

If you win the Stanley Cup then obviously you had the BEST roster that year. You can't compare rosters against others as each year is different. And saying X team is a better cup winner because they had more HOFers is such a BS reason.

Team B has 1 future/potential HOFer and ends the season in 20th place then who has the worst roster? Team A does, they came in last, therefore, their roster was worse than Team B.

No team who won the cup was the worst team to win it. It's a grind and the hardest trophy to win in sports. You don't luck into it, it's not a fluke, you were/are the BEST team for that year. Slates are wiped clean come the next season. The next season comes yet another battle of who can end on top.

Christ this went way over your head. You can compare different teams to different season because everyone has an opinion. Apparently your opinion is to call this debate stupid. Then leave lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
'06 Canes. Easily.

- Inflated point total due to bad SE division
- They won an ungodly amount of 1 goal games and shootouts
- Injuries to Buffalo's defense got so bad that they had to call up Mike Card, who was playing in Kelowna at the time
- Zero HOF caliber players
- Employed Justin Williams
- They missed the playoffs for the next two years
- Cam Ward never lived up to his 2006 heights ever again
- Laviolette was fired a couple years later
- Roloson
- They didn't have to play Detroit
- Only one playoff appearance since
- Anything else? Case closed.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
67 Leafs.... I believe theyre the only Cup winners to have negative GF/GA difference during the season
86 and 93 Habs
06 Canes
2012 Kings

pretty much it

Other than missing a #1D, that was a very stacked lineup. I also really question the addition of the Kings there.

But I would add the 09 Penguins. They're easily the weakest team to win the cup since the 05 lockout - probably for a long time before that as well.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
'06 Canes. Easily.

- Injuries to Buffalo's defense got so bad that they had to call up Mike Card, who was playing in Kelowna at the time
- Roloson

They have only made the playoffs once since then? Wow, that caught me by surprise.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This whole thread is stupid and nothing but a pissing match.

If you win the Stanley Cup then obviously you had the BEST roster that year.
You can't compare rosters against others as each year is different. And saying X team is a better cup winner because they had more HOFers is such a BS reason.

No team who won the cup was the worst team to win it.
It's a grind and the hardest trophy to win in sports. You don't luck into it, it's not a fluke, you were/are the BEST team for that year. Slates are wiped clean come the next season. The next season comes yet another battle of who can end on top.

Negative. Pittsburgh won in 09 and were lucky as **** to do so. They had a couple great matchups and then got lucky when needed. They certainly did not have "the best roster". They had 2 superstar players who dominated the playoffs and dragged the Pens to the cup.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
They have only made the playoffs once since then? Wow, that caught me by surprise.

Yep, 2009. Happened to make the ECF that year as well.

Last three playoff appearances:
2001-02: Lost in SCF
2005-06: Won Cup
2008-09: Lost in ECF

Don't make it often, but when they do, look out.

Twice (2008, 2011) they held their fate in their own hands in game 82 to make the playoffs, but lost to Florida and Tampa, respectively.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
'06 Canes. Easily.

- Roloson

Don't encourage them, Brock. You know as well as I do that there are people who will take you seriously.

As for the answer to the OP's question, it's the 09 Penguins in the modern era. Malkin basically went superhuman and dragged that team to a Cup win. It was a hell of a performance, but it basically required a performance like that to get them their win, due an overall weak roster and a disappearing act from Sidney Crosby.

I'd also argue that the 2011 Bruins should probably be below the Canes, simply because they won the Cup due to similar reasons (both teams basically won because of an insanely hot goaltender), but the Canes goaltender at least had a career to speak of outside of the Cup win.

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
It was a hell of a performance, but it basically required a performance like that to get them their win, due an overall weak roster and a disappearing act from Sidney Crosby.

I'd also argue that the 2011 Bruins should probably be below the Canes, simply because they won the Cup due to similar reasons (both teams basically won because of an insanely hot goaltender), but the Canes goaltender at least had a career to speak of outside of the Cup win.

1) Crosby had 31 points in 24 games in those playoffs. What the hell are you talking about? If you are referencing the SCF, that is what you have teammates for. You're acting like Crosby did nothing for the team.

2) Yeah, we all must have forgotten the multiple Vezina's Ward won and Thomas didn't, right?

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
'06 Canes. Easily.

- Roloson

this post really has opened my eyes

what a fool i have been all these years

ty sir :)

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
You can compare different teams to different season because everyone has an opinion.

Opinions should be based in as much factual evidence as possible. What people are trying to show you (and others) is that there is plenty of evidence that the 06 Canes were in fact NOT the "worst roster ever". I fail to see why the effort to do so offends you so much that you feel the need to condescend and insult people.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Yep, 2009. Happened to make the ECF that year as well.

Last three playoff appearances:
2001-02: Lost in SCF
2005-06: Won Cup
2008-09: Lost in ECF

Don't make it often, but when they do, look out.

Twice (2008, 2011) they held their fate in their own hands in game 82 to make the playoffs, but lost to Florida and Tampa, respectively.

My perception of the canes in and around the 09 season was that they were an above average team that was making the playoffs more often than not.

Or maybe that perception was because they usually gave the habs alot of trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad