Worst contract on the Habs?

Which contract is the worst?

• Total voters

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Just putting something out there when lunqvist signed his current contract he was the best goalie in the NHL, after accounting for cap inflation pric's contract makes up the same percent of the cap that the king's did.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The only way it's not Alzner is if Price falls off early or Weber is never the same after his injuries this year. Price should bounce back this season, and if he can come back healthy, Weber is still a good defenseman even if he isn't a Norris contender anymore. Overpaying your best players by a mil or two isnt really a big deal. Alzner is basically replacement level for over 4.5 mil.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Price's. Guy's one of the better goalies in the league but that length and the contract amount are a bit much IMO.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Price.

An 8 figure salary cap for a player who can't score goals in soo bad.
Your answer is correct: Price

But your reasoning is beyond ridiculous. Hes a goalie FFS hes not paid to SCORE GOALS hes paid to STOP GOALS. I think u messed him up with someone else :laugh:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Theirs no incentive for the Habs to help out Nashville like that. Retirement or let him play out his contract are still valid options.

Umm. If he retires, he'll be giving up free money instead of LTIR. No players have ever retired with guaranteed money coming their way. So he'll either play out his contract, or if he's too hurt to continue, be LTIR'd.

Reactions: Ookhaab

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
how did Alzner even get that contract to begin with? it's not like him sucking is a new thing

Reactions: Peanut

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Weber is awful in transition, a poor shot suppressor, and a black hole on the power play because he’s not an effective playmaker. Price just had a miserable season though I will agree he could bounce back and be the Habs best player.

Eh I can't argue shot suppression statistically, but I think his transition game isn't as bad as it's made out to be. I also wouldn't say he's a black hole on PP because although he isn't a good playmaker that shot is still a deadly weapon, and even though the league is faster his physical presence is a definite asset defensively. He's slowed down for sure and you'll get no argument from me but I still easily put him on nearly every top pair in the league

member 157595

Price has an absolutely terrible contract but is undeniably one of the league's best when healthy. Weber's contract is bad and his game is declining, but A) his contract is worse for Nashville than Montreal, and B) Weber's still a 1st-pairing defenseman.

Like Price and Weber, Karl Alzner has a bad contract. Unlike those two, he's also a bad hockey player.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Price returns to form and he's really not that badly overpaid. Next summer when the cap is like 82M, Bobrovsky is fair to ask for like 9M. Sure you don't want to pay your #1 goalie that much, but at least Price is a #1 goalie and one of the best at it. The best goalies in the business also tend to play well into their late 30's. Believe it or not, there could be a time during that contract when the cap hit is actually fair.

Weber still has the ability to play like a top pairing dman and if he does that he's not really overpaid at all. If it looks like he's permanently taken a step back he's somewhat overpaid. And he's likely to only play 5 more years until his salary drops down to 1M and he'll fly off to Robidas island.

So yeah.. You can argue a bunch of things but i rather overpay good players who are able to play key positions than pay 4-5M to players that could be replaced by someone on his ELC.

My vote goes to Karl Alzner.

Reactions: OmniCube

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Voted Price, but that could easily change if he actually wants to play this coming season. Somehow I feel he has already checked out - guess we will see.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
It's tough though, in MTL the process of a true rebuild is brutal with fans and media, they do not accept not being competitive very well, and I can see that pressure not helping with a few of the bad contracts.

Prob TML and MTL are by far the hardest markets to reset in, and MTL even more so, they pray at the church of Habs, life is Habs.

?

Have you not been following habs media lately lol...they keep hinting at a rebuild.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I should have said historically

Yeah, I think the mediocrity we've seen since 2012 finally broke the habs media. They keep asking Bergevin in every press conference if we're going through a rebuild and he keeps saying no...then the next reporter will find a different way to bring up a rebuild and Bergevin will shut it down again. Then another reporter takes his shot at it and so on. Molson was asked if we were going through a rebuild today as well.

Habs board is convinced (and probs right) that the management is avoiding the word rebuild because they don't want to hurt ticket sales.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Yeah, I think the mediocrity we've seen since 2012 finally broke the habs media. They keep asking Bergevin in every press conference if we're going through a rebuild and he keeps saying no...then the next reporter will find a different way to bring up a rebuild and Bergevin will shut it down again. Then another reporter takes his shot at it and so on. Molson was asked if we were going through a rebuild today as well.

Habs board is convinced (and probs right) that the management is avoiding the word rebuild because they don't want to hurt ticket sales.

That's fair, but it didn't hut sales in Toronto, and we for sure have similar markets, so I say go for it, Habs won't be going anywhere lol

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Bigger issue to give money and term to a consistently below average player to negative player like Alzner than to overpay your star players. Obviously there is a risk that age and injuries will or have already started to tank the play of Weber and Price, but Alzner is paid 10x what a player of his ability should be, while it still remains to be seen whether Price and Weber long-term aren't above average or even star players, and are probably overpaid by 50% now with insane term. Weber's contract is also more tradeable due to signing bonus structure.

Also lol at people who think Weber has been a bigger star for Habs than Pacioretty or Gallagher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad