Worst Contract of Summer 2019: Revisited

Which contract ended up being the worst?

• Jordan Eberle - 5.5 x 5 NYI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joonas Donskoi - 3.9 x 4 CO

• Micheal Ferland - 3.5 x 4 VAN

• Colton Sissons - 2.85 x 7 NSH

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yeaher

May 3, 2019
Only ONE other 22 year old in the NHL got 94 or more points last year, and he gets paid 12.5 million a year.

So Marner looks like a steal at 10.9.

:)

Not really at all, I paid twice as much for a player like McDavid than Marner...not that I have a problem with the contract, he just isn't remotely in McDavid's league.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
You’d prefer Hayes at 7.1m for the next 7 years? Myers at 6m?

You can make a case Marner should make 1.5M-2M less, but it won’t be as strong as the one you could make that Myers should make 4M less.

At least try to be objective.

I'd take the Hayes deal a million times over compared to the Bob one.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Not really at all, I paid twice as much for a player like McDavid than Marner...not that I have a problem with the contract, he just isn't remotely in McDavid's league.
That would be pretty silly. You’d be paying essentially an extra 11 million dollars for less than 30 points. You can find plugs who’ll do that.

Also, I think you’re mistaken - both McDavid and Marner will play in the NHL this year. It’s Rantanen and Laine that are in Europe without contracts.

With foolish comments like that you’re out here sounding like Kyle Dubas’ cap consultant.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I'd take the Hayes deal a million times over compared to the Bob one.
Maybe.

Goalies are weird. I’m going to hold my judgement because it’s conceivable that he’ll be a top 5 goalie into his mid 30’s. It’s happened many times before.

You might be right, though. It could go very badly very quickly if his body doesn’t hold up.

Last edited:

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
Of the contracts that are actually getting votes (Bob, Skinner, Zucc, Tanev, Marner, Hayes, Myers) I know I'd rather have Marner at 10.9x6 then any of those other players at their respective cap hits. Not to say the contract is good, but it isn't crippling like those other contracts are/could be

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Personally, I would have to say Brandon Tanev, though he's actually underrated as a player and is probably worth his cap hit right now. The hilarious part of that contract is the term: giving a bottom-six guy like him 6 years and a modified NTC is asking for trouble IMO.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You’d prefer Hayes at 7.1m for the next 7 years? Myers at 6m?

You can make a case Marner should make 1.5M-2M less, but it won’t be as strong as the one you could make that Myers should make 4M less.

At least try to be objective.
I’ll give you Hayes. I missed him. Marner based on one good season should be making $2.5 million less. Every site I read thought that would have been fair value originally until his agent made his ridiculous ask based on the Matthews overpayment.
I think Myers is overpaid by about $1.5 million based on comparales. Saying he is overpaid by $4 million is in no way reasonable or objective imo.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It's sort of funny that Hayes is still mentioned now that the exact scenario that Philly was worried about has come to pass with Patrick being out with another undisclosed injury. It's a little more money [~500k] than Hayes probably deserves, but if you need to fill the 2C hole in free agency then you're going to have to bite the bullet far more often that not.
I don't understand what is so bad about that contract. I think it would have gotten lost in the shuffle if it was signed on July 1st.

Bobrovsky is a 31-year-old goalie and Florida gave him a $70M contract with an NMC through 5/7 years. It's similar to the contract the Rangers gave Henrik in 2013. Hank's deal still has 2 more seasons left. How many of you would have paid Henrik Lundqvist $8.5M for the last 3 seasons? The Rangers got 2 good seasons out of that contract.

And Karlsson... $11.5M, NMC for all 8 years, lol.

Last edited:

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
E Karlsson contract may not be so bad right now [though it still is] but I suspect that within 3 years his deterioration of play will make it the biggest albatross of this summer.

EDIT : I'm starting to think of changing my vote to Bobrovsky

Last edited:

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Jeff Skinner at 9 million for eight years. Huge health risk, one dimensional player who's never put up more than 63 (albeit, he's done that three times).

Might be okay for a couple more years but it's going to be very ugly as he gets into his 30s.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Or maybe I would only pay $6 million for Marner. Funny, you think they are similar quality of player, it's not even close open your eyes little boy.
You wouldn’t get Marner for 6M so that’s a pretty dumb comment.

I never spoke to the quality of McDavid in relation to Marner. You said they aren’t in the same league which is factually incorrect.

The little boy jab is pretty ironic considering you came into a thread about recent contracts to comment on your favourite player Connor McDavid. You were corrected for an incorrect statement and responded insultingly. Some might consider those actions to be pretty childish.
I’ll give you Hayes. I missed him. Marner based on one good season should be making $2.5 million less. Every site I read thought that would have been fair value originally until his agent made his ridiculous ask based on the Matthews overpayment.
I think Myers is overpaid by about $1.5 million based on comparales. Saying he is overpaid by $4 million is in no way reasonable or objective imo.
I don’t think Tyler Myers is a top 4 defenseman. To me, 6 million dollars for that type of player is wayyyy too much money. If that opinion is unreasonable to you then we’ll agree to disagree. 5 years is a very long time in professional sports. We’ll see how it ages.

I’m also pretty confident just turned 22 Mitch Marner will be more productive over the next 6 years than soon to be 28 year old Artemi Panarin, and for roughly 600k less. You’d also take Panarin over Marner?

Marner’s number is high for 6 years and that’s tough for the Leafs because they have two other $11M forwards... but that’s a Leaf cap squeeze problem, not a contract value problem. There’s a lot of other players to question whether they’ll provide value for their duration before you get to Mitch Marner.

Reactions: WillTheThrill

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Hayes.

At least Bob and Skinner have the talent to maybe live up to their contracts. Hayes isn't 7.14 M$ good.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Skinner, Hayes, or Myers.

Tanev. I can see why teams like the Panthers and the Predators overpaid for Bobrovsky and Duchene, respectfully. However, there is no reason to even slightly overpay a, what, 4th liner (maybe a 3rd liner on a good day) for 6(!) years. Now, the Pens might have to part with Bjugstad or Rust (both decent players) to fix their cap situation. This is AFTER Rutherford signed Johnson last summer and Hunwick (since traded) the summer before that.

For now at least Tanev is a lot better than Bjugstad or Rust. He adds more than losing them hurts. But it might be a pretty ugly deal in 5 years, if for no other reason than that's crazy far in the future and we don't know how effective Tanev will be at that point with his manic playstyle.

It's gotta be Bob, paying 10M for a goalie over 7 years sounds nuts. Paying 10Mx7 for a 31 year old goalie that's coming off his worst season in 3 years is insanity. Hope he does well, but holyyyy is that an easy choice.

You're far from the only one to say this, and the AAV is indeed high for a position with little year to year consistency, but the term is not an issue. Elite goalies age better than elite players at any other position. Look at the age of Vezina winners. Bobrovsky is more likely to be elite at the end of his deal than any other UFA signed this summer.

Reactions: Voight

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Seems like a lotta bad contracts handed out this summer, i wonder if itll be comparable to the 2016 disaster signings. Close for me between Bobrosky and Hayes, behind would be Myers Karlsson Zucarella and Tanevs brother

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Tanev. I can see why teams like the Panthers and the Predators overpaid for Bobrovsky and Duchene, respectfully. However, there is no reason to even slightly overpay a, what, 4th liner (maybe a 3rd liner on a good day) for 6(!) years. Now, the Pens might have to part with Bjugstad or Rust (both decent players) to fix their cap situation. This is AFTER Rutherford signed Johnson last summer and Hunwick (since traded) the summer before that.

I don't think they overpaid for Duchene.

70 point #1C who's 28 - 8 million ain't that bad, especially when you have guys like Kevin Hayes making 7.

It's sort of funny that Hayes is still mentioned now that the exact scenario that Philly was worried about has come to pass with Patrick being out with another undisclosed injury. It's a little more money [~500k] than Hayes probably deserves, but if you need to fill the 2C hole in free agency then you're going to have to bite the bullet far more often that not.

:huh: a career 40 point player is not worth 6.5 million per year. He is also not a #2 C. There is no justifying that God awful deal, if they were worried about Patrick getting hurt again I am sure they could have signed a 1 year stop gap like Brassard or someone.

Hayes
Bobrovsky
Marner (simply because they didn't HAVE to pay him that much).

Why didn't they have to? Should they have let their star winger sit out?

Last edited:

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I don't think they overpaid for Duchene.

70 point #1C who's 28 - 8 million ain't that bad, especially when you have guys like Kevin Hayes making 7.

:huh: a career 40 point player is not worth 6.5 million per year. He is also not a #2 C. There is no justifying that God awful deal, if they were worried about Patrick getting hurt again I am sure they could have signed a 1 year stop gap like Brassard or someone.

Why didn't they have to? Should they have let their star winger sit out?

We have literally a dozen threads of evidence of fans claiming Marner is the Leafs best player and should get the same or more than Matthews.

And then he gets less than Matthews and overnight suddenly it's a terrible contract.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad