Worries ...

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
My 2 big concerns are the D and the top-6 (o)

I feel like Emelin, Gilbert and Weaver are bottom-pairing D and then we have Beaulieu/Tinordi that should play like Top-4 guys which they aren't yet..

On offense, it all depends on Desharnais/Pacioretty while Gallagher/Sekac/Galchenyuk are big question marks (I could add Plekanec too)

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Top 6 O. (top tier talent)
Top 3 D. (#3 is highly problematic)
Bottom 6 O. (decent. Not certain about Malhotra. Should be satisfactory to good on the whole, though.)
Bottom 3 D. (I think this is fine, actually)

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
We don't really have a top-6, but a top-9. I'd be worried by the top-6, but not by the top-9.

Il also think the 4th line will turn out to be one of the best in the NHL. So overall, I'm not worried at all by our forwards.

On D, it's a different story. I don't think Emelin fits in with Subban, just like I have no faith in the Markov/Gilbert combo.

Pretty soon, we'll see a Markov-Subban combo player 26 mins a night. I also think Beaulieu-Weaver will take over as the 2nd combo, playing close to 20 mins a night (maybe too much for Weaver, but Beaulieu will shine). Then, Emelin-Gilbert/Tinordi will share the 14 minutes left.

So I guess I'd say :

B6 (O)
T6 (O)
T3 (D)
B3 (D)

Slew Foots

Everything is OK
Sep 6, 2006
Is it just me or did 90% of people not follow instructions?

Bottom 6 F (least worried)
Top 3 D
Bottom 3 D
Top 6 F (most worried)

habitue*

The team had shed most of the players that were identified as small, or old, or slow.
Lack of leadership will be the price to pay, I guess.

But by the end of this coming season, we gonna have a young strong core with more experience and leadership.

I expect a rough first half (.500) hockey, but a way better second half. Price wil be good to great every single games he's gonna play and save the season.

I am not too sure about the vet players we got in the off season - Gilbert, PAP and MM. But training camp is not the place to judge that type of players.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Is it just me or did 90% of people not follow instructions?

Bottom 6 F (least worried)
Top 3 D
Bottom 3 D
Top 6 F (most worried)
The format was flawed to begin with.

The coach is the one who decides is top 6 and bottom 6... so if you're concerned with the coach he supercedes everything.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
I don't get why anyone is worried about Gilbert. He is a solid, all-around dman. I'm more worried about Emelin than him.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I don't get why anyone is worried about Gilbert. He is a solid, all-around dman. I'm more worried about Emelin than him.

I won't say Gilbert is gonna have a rough year because it isn't fair to him or to anybody.....but I have to admit, I saw a lot of hesitation in his game during the pre-season. We can say it was just that, the pre-season, but I do find there's a difference between not being sharp and holding on to the puck too long on breakouts. Looked a bit too long for the perfect pass.

Still, I agree that Emelin is a bigger worry at this point. He is coming off a season where he made constantly boned headed plays, that cannot happen again.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Least worried: Top 3 D
Bottom 6
Top 6
Most worried: Bottom 3

I think Weaver, Gilbert, Beaulieu (and Tinordi) are our weakest link. At the trade deadline, this is the department that Bergevin needs to improve.

Hawkeye71980

Sep 15, 2009
New Brunswick
- Top 6 (O)
- Bottom 6
- Top 3 (D)
- Bottom 3 (D)

I'd put them all about equal. We've done a good job filling holes good enough to let us go on another run, but if we really want to hang with the big boys we need to make all four groups a little bit better.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I agree with you across the board.

The coach is the biggest problem facing this team. And it's scary because we've actually got a good roster right now. I hate how he's derailing some players and favouring others. It's a big problem.

Also, I don't get why we'd put Emelin and Gilbert together. I missed the preseason so I didn't know that was a pairing.
Sorry, no, Emelin/Gilbert haven't been together... maybe except for one part of one preseason game where again Markov and Subban looked magical... but obviously the gameplan is to spread them out. I meant more "middle 2" defensemen, than them as a pairing. But even last night, I felt like the concern was valid, in that they both were boat anchors to their partners in their own zone. Emelin had the helpers and didn't have his worst game, but still, I find it worrisome that we'll have those guys out 20+ mins a night, in whichever combination (not paired) and particularly shorthanded. But it's just a "worry". There is some potential there for them to pull it out, and/or for Markov and Subban to sufficiently boost/cover them. There's nothing much for it now, though, the team is set.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad