GDT: World Juniors Thread - The Thread For All World Junior Championship Discussion

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
wow, brutal hit nesar on noren i believe, he left for repairs/quiet time. looked like an elbow at full speed

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
hold it together sweden - they are going to get chippy

Yeah looks suspension worthy to me. Hope Noren is ok.

awesome, thank you for the clip so quick.. bit of everything on that one

so typical - brutal borderline hit/chippy play - lame shit call, goal..

Feb 20, 2013
Willander has been playing on the right side despite being listed as a LD.

He’s also looked by far the best defenseman for Sweden.

EP2 looks to be benched. Not a good game from him so far.
What game are you watching? EP2 has been Sweden's best defender this game and has an assist to boot. Also he played literally the last shift of the second period so he isn't sitting...
Willander has been decent, but has definitely gotten less ice time so far than EP2.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
What game are you watching? EP2 has been Sweden's best defender this game and has an assist to boot. Also he played literally the last shift of the second period so he isn't sitting...
Willander has been decent, but has definitely gotten less ice time so far than EP2.
He has not played as much Willander.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Yeah looks suspension worthy to me. Hope Noren is ok.
Edit: no penalty on the play, which is crazy. This is an easy 5 and out of the game for international standards.

International standards are lower, but what would the penalty be?

Hard to tell in the video, but doesn't look like head contact to me. Charging? I don't know how far he came across the ice. It's not interference. Just looks like a big hit to me.

Side note: I was very high on Nazar in his draft year because I thought he was a skilled, fast player with some jam.

Feb 20, 2013
International standards are lower, but what would the penalty be?

Hard to tell in the video, but doesn't look like head contact to me. Charging? I don't know how far he came across the ice. It's not interference. Just looks like a big hit to me.

Side note: I was very high on Nazar in his draft year because I thought he was a skilled, fast player with some jam.
On the slowed down replay that they showed in game there was a clear extension of Nazar's arm towards Noren's head and elbow to head contact. Very dirty hit IMO. Call it a hit to the head or elbowing, either way its an automatic 5 in the international game.

Feb 20, 2013

I would agree with this assessment.
Noah Ostlund was Sweden's best player followed closely by Lekkerimaki. They were really dangerous, especially in the first period when Sweden was all over team USA. Lekkerimaki looks faster than last year and Ostlund seems to be better able to skate through contact.
I thought EP2 was Sweden's best defender. Steady, physical, made good, simple passes, defended well and read the play well to step up to intercept passes on occasion. With his size and skating ability he projects as an Ian Cole style steady second or third pairing defender.
Willander was certainly not poor, but wasn't amazing either. He actually became more noticeable in the third period when Sweden was doing more defending. He was not at fault for any of the goals against while on the ice and actually recovered pretty well to force Will Smith into a long shot (that went in) on his breakaway.

Others:
ASP had a pretty poor game overall. Maybe a bit of rust after sitting out on Tuesday.
I continue to like Zeb Forsfjall on the fourth line for Sweden. He is a speedy little buzz-saw out there and plays sort of like a less flashy, centreman version of Hoglander. Plus he has a cool name!
I payed less attention to the USA lineup, but was impressed with Smith and Snuggerud. I did not notice Hutson at all... certainly wasn't playing the roaming style he employs at BU also maybe a good thing since it means he also wasn't getting burned defensively.

Sweden controlled play early, but USA took over in the third. That said, Sweden put in their backup for the third and he let in a couple of soft goals.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
When you're a sub 500 hockey team maxed out on the cap, who needs legit prospects?
The Oilers are in a spot here..Their AHL team is bottom of the league...They have no prospects at the WJC's..They've marginalized their two top prospects , Holloway and Broberg (who wants out)..No cap space...They've traded their future.

Its getting a wee bit harder to see them winning a SC with this version of the team.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
The Oilers are in a spot here..Their AHL team is bottom of the league...They have no prospects at the WJC's..They've marginalized their two top prospects , Holloway and Broberg (who wants out)..No cap space...They've traded their future.

Its getting a wee bit harder to see them winning a SC with this version of the team.
One thing though.. they havevent traded their future really.. considering what they should have been doing theyve traded dick all

And like you referenced.. they arent any further ahead having kept all the picks cause they got nothing anyway

Reactions: Regress2TheMeme

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
One thing though.. they havevent traded their future really.. considering what they should have been doing theyve traded dick all

And like you referenced.. they arent any further ahead having kept all the picks cause they got nothing anyway
Can you imagine if they'd hired Jim Nill instead of MacTavish in the spring of 2013? Pretty ironic that Holland is proving that it was Nill's fingerprints all over the blueprints of the Red Wings dynasty. Lidstrom might have helped a bit....

Reactions: andora

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad