GDT: World Juniors Championship 2022

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Its now official.

Crap.

New TV and little to watch, and to top it off I'm sick. No idea whether or not it's just a head cold, or a mild case of Covid. My wife has it too. Oh joy.

We were headed to Vcr tomorrow for a couple of days, and that is cancelled too.

Damn, I was enjoying the Bedard show. And Garland is the grandson of a guy I play hockey with.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
As much as I like Brackett, his track record here might not be as good as we initially thought.

I mean you can chalk it up to player development, but our USHL picks hasn't exactly panned out. Boeser is great but it seems like a lot of Canucks scouts liked him and Crawford was still technically running the draft. Gaudette should be considered a nice find in the 5th round but he's nothing special. Malone looks like a bust. Rathbone, Madden, and McDonaugh still have a lot of potential but they obviously haven't been able to step into the NHL and play a top 4 D/top 6 forward role.

Woo was a Brackett pick and he's looking more like a bust. Our WHL scouting does suck but Brackett did make the call on this one. I'm not sure who the Canucks had ahead of Hoglander, but obviously Benning moving him up the list and "stripping Brackett of his authority" is turning out to be a great decision. Our OHL picks have returned nothing and that is Brackett's trusted scout, Palango's territory.

It's nice to have prospects play in the WJC. It gives us players to watch and cheer on but that's pretty much it.

yeah just our #1 goalie and our current best player in Hughes

Delorme’s last pick that is currently with us is a guy who is about to turn 27 years old on Horvat.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
yeah just our #1 goalie and our current best player in Hughes

Delorme’s last pick that is currently with us is a guy who is about to turn 27 years old on Horvat.

Both Demko and Hughes were drafted out of college. While Calgary disagreed, I think Demko was the best goalie available and Benning would have had ample opportunity to watch him in Boston. Regardless, I think the GM's go ahead to draft a goalie high is instrumental to Demko being picked.

With Hughes, funny thing is that plenty of posters were saying that Benning and Weisbrod had tunnel vision for Hughes or something like that effect.

I don't give credit to Delorme for Horvat at all. Crawford was running that draft. If Benning could be believed, Delorme strongly backed Petey. :sarcasm:

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
As much as I like Brackett, his track record here might not be as good as we initially thought.

I mean you can chalk it up to player development, but our USHL picks hasn't exactly panned out. Boeser is great but it seems like a lot of Canucks scouts liked him and Crawford was still technically running the draft. Gaudette should be considered a nice find in the 5th round but he's nothing special. Malone looks like a bust. Rathbone, Madden, and McDonaugh still have a lot of potential but they obviously haven't been able to step into the NHL and play a top 4 D/top 6 forward role.

Woo was a Brackett pick and he's looking more like a bust. Our WHL scouting does suck but Brackett did make the call on this one. I'm not sure who the Canucks had ahead of Hoglander, but obviously Benning moving him up the list and "stripping Brackett of his authority" is turning out to be a great decision. Our OHL picks have returned nothing and that is Brackett's trusted scout, Palango's territory.

It's nice to have prospects play in the WJC. It gives us players to watch and cheer on but that's pretty much it.
The prospects all look good until they hit our AHL team, then they stagnate or bust.

On the one hand, it's a natural filter point for most prospects.

On the other hand, we have not successfully developed a skater from our AHL club in around a decade. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, we should have at least something to show from there... I was thinking about this in relation to what Gillis left as well. We thought we had a bunch of players on the farm tracking for the NHL, until they hit the AHL and stagnated or busted.

You have to wonder how much is drafting and how much is our developmental black hole and completely broken AHL club. Particularly after Dahlen.

You also have to wonder how anyone who was associated with Utica still has a freaking job.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
The prospects all look good until they hit our AHL team, then they stagnate or bust.

On the other hand, we have not successfully developed a skater from our AHL club in around a decade. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, we should have at least something to show from there... I was thinking about this in relation to what Gillis left as well. We thought we had a bunch of players on the farm tracking for the NHL, until they hit the AHL and stagnated or busted.

You have to wonder how much is drafting and how much is our developmental black hole and completely broken AHL club. Particularly after Dahlen.

You also have to wonder how anyone who was associated with Utica still has a freaking job.

Something that I really hope Rutherford looks into is why has our farm team not been able to develop anyone since the Moose, and hopefully burns down Abbotsford and our player develpmont personnel. The Moose used to make up for our awful drafting. I wonder how many of our Moose successes like Bieksa, Burrows, Hansen, and Tanev would of made it if Utica was our farm team back then.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Ya I don't really have an answer. I do think that if they look good until they hit our AHL team then they might not be as good as we think they are. I mean the AHL is a step up in competition, but usually you can pinpoint the reason(s) why a prospect is struggling in the AHL. For example, both Lind and Gadjovich struggled because of their skating. Gadjovich was able to improve his skating significantly over the summer is that player development? Then again, there are countless of other prospects who weren't able to improve their skating. A guy like MacEwen developed well at the AHL level and then stagnated when he got to the NHL. Then you have guys like Nicklas Jensen who upon leaving Utica is a star level player in the AHL and KHL. Was this a Travis Green thing? Jordan Subban got worse after Green.

On another note, Rutherford has spoken glowingly of Johnson. Doesn't look like he's going anywhere.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Canadian government is getting really frustrating recently
Close the gyms and pubs and cancel the WJC, but let’s keep the money making sports events and concerts going with fans

Reactions: m9

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

Man. I feel bad for the kids and the families that are there - especially the older ones who were having their last kick at the can.

It seems like the people running the tournament never adjusted to the realities of the new Omicron variant: much more contagious, with vaccines doing little to prevent infection, but apparently less lethal with those infected mostly being asymptomatic. They either needed to (1) implement a full-bubble at the start of the tournament, (2) not test asymptomatic players like they've done in the NFL, or (3) implement taxi squads to replace the players that would inevitably test positive.

Not doing anything made this cancellation inevitable.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Canadian government is getting really frustrating recently
Close the gyms and pubs and cancel the WJC, but let’s keep the money making sports events and concerts going with fans

so you are advocating that the close those as well? Those are conscious decisions people make to attend. And I am sorry, I was under the impression that the WJC was a sporting event.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad