Post-Game Talk: World Junior Championships 2020 in the Czech Republic: Canada Wins 2020 Gold

Who are your three podium teams?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Looks like Lundell won't join team Finland which I think means either Kivenmäki or Aleks Haatanen should make the team?

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Little OT but surprised Regula didn’t make USA’s final roster

I was surprised by this. I thought he was one of their better options.

Also for the record this thread was made with just general world junior discussion in mind. It doesn't have to be Red Wings specific. We have a prospect thread really for that. I am sure lots of it will be Wings focused, but the original idea was just to have an area to talk about one of the best hockey tournaments in general.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013

No Points for Joe but sounds like his line was really good (Foote with 2 G 1 A and Lafreniere with 2 A)

I watched the game. Could’ve argued a Veleno assist on footes first goal but it would’ve been grimey. He did all the work with the board battle. The three looked great together

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Who is the team to get a surprise medal and who is a team that won't get a medal but is supposed to?

My bet would be Germany gets a medal somehow and a surprise no show will be the US unfortunately.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Who is the team to get a surprise medal and who is a team that won't get a medal but is supposed to?

My bet would be Germany gets a medal somehow and a surprise no show will be the US unfortunately.
Suprise medal id say Swiss. No medal I’d say Sweden

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I don’t love the US team nearly as much this year as I usually do. I almost always have them on my podium prediction but didn’t this year.

The forward group is pretty top heavy, and the blue line looks weaker than normal to me.

They are really banking on their goal scoring wingers and their goaltending in this tournament. Which isn’t necessarily the worst plan given they have Caufield and Knight, but I just feel like they are lacking some depth this year.

I like Canada and Sweden best for this one. I think 3rd will be a battle between Finland, Russia, and the US teams.

Last edited:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I have zero faith in Raimo Helminen as a head coach so I expect Finland to finish outside the top-4.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'm thinking Canada will elect to go with a group of Veleno, Smith and Lafreniere to wear letters, with the first two being the leaders for the C

Veleno will almost be guaranteed a letter and is probably the front runner for captain. I would say Lafreniere and McIsaac are a toss up for a letter if they go with 4 because Lafreniere is young and McIsaac was taking the ceremonial face offs against U sports. If they go three letters though it'll almost guaranteed be Veleno, Smith and Hayton. Hayton returned from the NHL, hes going to have a letter.

Reactions: Larkin2AA

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I love the WJC and since I am Canadian I will be watching most games. I will give my views on how Veleno, McIsaac, Byfield and Lafr play. Also Askarov and Seider when they play Russian and Germany.

Reactions: Mister Ed

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I think Czechs will get the surprise medal. Home games and very strong Finnish Liiga-goalie in net.

Reactions: Konnan511

Kleefeld

Feb 21, 2018

Germany will be lucky to even win a single game. The gap to the top teams is stull huge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad