GDT: World Junior Championships 2013 - Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If only a game decided a players worth then Ruslan Fedetenko would be a star in this league and Maxime Talbot would be better than Sidney Crosby.
on those nights, fedotenko and talbot were worth more than anyone else playing hockey.

you're only as good as your most recent game.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
By your logic, Mackinnon hasn't shown too much in the first game and by the sounds of it the second (I haven't watched it yet) .. So does that mean he shouldn't be drafted 1st overall? Of course not.
for the upcoming draft, the scouts would be comparing mackinnon to the other draft-eligible players at the tournament.

if a jones or and drouin, or someone else outplays mackinnon, i would think they move closer to him, or ahead of him on their lists.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Tom Nilsson playing a physical defensive tournament so far. +1 but has taken two minors so far. Sweden have 4 top defenders out with injuries. I wonder if Nilsson will get more ice time?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Anyone that likes European no touch hockey will love the Camara 5 and a game. Even the ref said it was a clean hit. Said it again, hockey was invented by us and we have these no touch pansy euro's calling 5 and game penalties for sneezing on players. Terribly calls.

:laugh:

When I was young (a looong time ago), we also had people who would pick up their puck and go home if things did not go their way.

;)

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
:laugh:

When I was young (a looong time ago), we also had people who would pick up their puck and go home if things did not go their way.

;)

What does that have to do with what he said? The Camara hit was 100% clean. There was no charging, no targeting of the head, he didn't leave his feet. 100% pure hockey hit, the fact that the IIHF immediately announced after the game there wouldn't be any further disciplinary action proves too that it shouldn't have been penalized at all, or at least not to that extent.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Im starting to wonder if Justin Pogge is feeling a little vindicated these days. He essentially gets no credit for his virtually flawless play at the WJC, with comments like "anyhone could play net and Canada will win".

Well, as were seeing now, its not so. This is the fourth year in a row where goaltending is the major issue for team Canada.

mikebel111*

Tom Nilsson playing a physical defensive tournament so far. +1 but has taken two minors so far. Sweden have 4 top defenders out with injuries. I wonder if Nilsson will get more ice time?

he is like granberg
underrated, and might find him self a home in NHL

Newfie John

Hall of Famer
Jul 3, 2005
Im starting to wonder if Justin Pogge is feeling a little vindicated these days. He essentially gets no credit for his virtually flawless play at the WJC, with comments like "anyhone could play net and Canada will win".

Well, as were seeing now, its not so. This is the fourth year in a row where goaltending is the major issue for team Canada.

That remains true for the team Pogge played with.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
Rielly had an assist on the first goal in Canada's first game, and then a goal and 2 assists in the second game, but the IIHF stats page only lists Rielly as having 3 points, instead of the 4 he should have. Has anyone seen any explanation on that?

Was there any doubt on Rielly's two assists in the second game?

trickster

Maple Leaf Lane Forever
Mar 6, 2002
Leaf Nation
Rielly had an assist on the first goal in Canada's first game, and then a goal and 2 assists in the second game, but the IIHF stats page only lists Rielly as having 3 points, instead of the 4 he should have. Has anyone seen any explanation on that?

Was there any doubt on Rielly's two assists in the second game?

Weird.
Rielly was listed on TSN's broadcast as having the assist on that first goal in the Germany game, but the IIHF box score lists only RNH as having an assist on that goal. Does anyone have it recorded to take a look? Perhaps there was a scoring change...

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Weird.
Rielly was listed on TSN's broadcast as having the assist on that first goal in the Germany game, but the IIHF box score lists only RNH as having an assist on that goal. Does anyone have it recorded to take a look? Perhaps there was a scoring change...

The IIHF made an error. Someone mentioned they don't review it so what gets written down on paper at the arena is what sticks. Rielly was the primary assist on that goal.

Last edited:

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON

Pogge did play well that tournament. IIRC, that team was actually pegged as an underdog before the tournament, USA was heavily favoured (they ended up sucking though). From what I remember though, it was a very fast, hard-hitting team and they played very well. Brent Sutter was the coach too so obviously we had good coaching.

This year there's so much pressure cause of the lock-out and Spott seems like a poor coach.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I don't even get why they picked Spott in the first place. You have a ton of NHL coaches bumming around doing nothing anyways. Take one of them.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
No longer visiting my parents and no longer have television. How have the streams been for these games? Are there generally streams for the noon replays or just at 4am?

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
its not really.

one game for all the marbles, if tolbot scores twice and crosby doesn't score at all, talbot is better than crosby that night.

what else matters?

You're being intentionally obtuse. For predicting future performance a larger sample size would be a much better predictor the vast majority of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad