Prospect Info: World Junior Championship

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
WJC is quickly approaching in Sweden this year, the tournament will start on December 26 going unti0l January 5th.

I believe the Panthers have 2 prospects Participating: Vilmanis (LAT) & Alscher (CZE).

Vilmanis (rd 5, #157 '22) plays for the Sarnia Sting of the OHL. He's averaging almost a point per game this season (28pt 30gp). He is expected to be team Latvia's first line left winger.

*All times EST

Latvia
Dec 26 - SWE 1:30p
Dec 27 - CAN 1:30p
Dec 29 - FIN 8:30a
Dec 30 - GER 1:30p

Alscher ( rd 3, #93 '22) Plays for the Portland Winter Hawks of the WHL. The big defensive defenseman has 9 points in 26 games.

Czechia
Dec 26 - SLK 6a
Dec 27 - NOR 11a
Dec 29 ‐ USA 11a
Dec 31 ‐ SUI 11a

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I wish the ex-Twitter wasn't so broken. I would share some of the Highlight reel goals Vilmanis scored last year.
He had some major beauty goals for Sarnia.

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
I wish the ex-Twitter wasn't so broken. I would share some of the Highlight reel goals Vilmanis scored last year.
He had some major beauty goals for Sarnia.
Whats wrong with it? Here, have a video of his penalty shot in the exhibition game. He had a hat trick. This tournament will probably be a blast for him. Latvia is rather deep by their standards, should reach quarter finals and score a bunch of goals. And Vilmanis will be the main scoring threat.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Whats wrong with it? Here, have a video of his penalty shot in the exhibition game. He had a hat trick. This tournament will probably be a blast for him. Latvia is rather deep by their standards, should reach quarter finals and score a bunch of goals. And Vilmanis will be the main scoring threat.

Stop by anytime.
He is my Favorite prospect. I've seen him 6 times live and on TV. Love his gangly potential.

Reactions: Vikz

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Vilmanis doesn't disappoint. He is responsible defensively, back checking all the way to the net, as well as covering for his defense in the offensive zone. Also, he has good offensive instincts, as you could see today on a 1 on 1. He has a hard shot with accuracy on it.
Just hard to get a good read on a player when they lose 10-0. Latvia's goalies were underwhelming to say the least. Where is Irbe when they need him?
Vilmanis probably played extra hard because his coach on Sarnia Is the head coach of team Canada.

Reactions: Laus723

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
During the third of the Latvia game, the broadcasters were talking about International coaches, and when, not if they will coach in the NHL.
One of the most successful European coaches right now that they think will be the first to make the jump, is Olli Jokinen.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Alscher is playing pretty good so far VS the United States.
He moves pretty decent for a big guy (6'3, 198 lbs). I'd say the biggest guy on the ice.
He had a nice quick shot from the blue line that caused a big rebound. As well, he faked the shot from the right point, moved all the way in behind the net and Tried the backhand wraparound. Pretty good move for a defensive defenseman.

Czech just scored and is now winning 3-2 in an upset in the making.
Announcer just said a good line: "If you're gonna be Playing With Fire, don't be surprised when you get burnt."
Czech is a big team with opposite potential.

3-3 now. Good game.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Alscher just blocked a pass down low on a Mini 2on1. Puck was in his feet and he dropped to all 4's and wouldn't let the opposing player get the puck before hitting it with his hand out of the zone ( hand passes are legal in your own end.)

First time I've sat down and watched him play and he isn't disappointing.
Second intermission, 3 all.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Crazy finish for that group. FIN, GER, LAT tied in points but the tiebreaker in their case (because everyone won one game within that sub group) is goal difference within that sub group games.

Latvia is done with games, if Germany loses to Canada (they should) and Finland loses to Sweden (probably), Finland’s goal differential in the sub group will be 7-4, Latvia’s 6-6, and Germany’s 6-9.

For that scenario to benefit Latvia they had to beat Germany by 3 goals or more. The first Vilmanis goal ended up being the difference maker, the second was insurance.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Crazy finish for that group. FIN, GER, LAT tied in points but the tiebreaker in their case (because everyone won one game within that sub group) is goal difference within that sub group games.

Latvia is done with games, if Germany loses to Canada (they should) and Finland loses to Sweden (probably), Finland’s goal differential in the sub group will be 7-4, Latvia’s 6-6, and Germany’s 6-9.

For that scenario to benefit Latvia they had to beat Germany by 3 goals or more. The first Vilmanis goal ended up being the difference maker, the second was insurance.
Well that answers what I came to ask 😂 thanks!

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Well that answers what I came to ask 😂 thanks!
Germany beats Finland in juniors for the first time ever and their reward (after blowing the game against Latvia) is to have to get a point from Canada to avoid relegation round…

Vikz

Dec 26, 2021
I'm pretty sure that was Latvia's first ever world junior win.
It wasnt though. Not even the most impressive of the two, since in 2022 (postponed tournament of 2021), Latvia beat Czechia 5-2. And lost to Slovaks in the SO, finishing third in the group. Vilmanis was on this team as an underager and had 1 assist in 5 games.
Before the tournament, I said that its the deepest team we had in years, and it was tough to watch them in first games. Not that anybody realistically thought we could beat Canada, Sweden or Finland, but scoring 0 and allowing 20 was definitely dissapointing. Vilmanis got his fair share of beatings from being on top line and playing against the likes of Celebrini. Great that he steped up against Germany when we needed it. His one timer and ability to force himself through defence to the net is legit. But too bad he was not able to produce against top oposition. He probably will have the chance once more in the quarterfinals, unless Germany gets a point from Canada. If not, I expect no less than another 3 point game in relegation against Norway.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Vilmanis With 2 goals and an a assist, winning the player of the game.

Watched 2nd and 3rd period, he was involved in so many plays, smacked his face off the ice, got some plaster on the chin and had an excellent game.
Leader and wearing a letter for Latvians.
Impressive win for them, Germans were outworked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad