WJC: World Junior Championship best international tournaments in hockey world?

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I'll never understand how anyone can badmouth the World Championship for "not being best on best" and then go on about how great the World Juniors are. For one, they aren't best on best either, as they clearly lack the most talented players, because those are in the NHL already.

In addition to that, most of the WJC players aren't nearly as good as those on the WCH. They are junior players, they would get their rears handed to them by most seniors. A few are already good enough to be comparable to very good to great seniors, another few might be as good or better once they hit their primes, and a large part of them will never be good enough to represent their countries even at the WCH.

It may be a very entertaining tournament, but it is very very far away from being "best on best" or fielding a group that is currently as skilled as the teams in the WCH (much less the Olympics). People are confusing being great in their age group with being great when compared with every player out there.

Spender

Feb 16, 2013
Växjö
To me it's the most entertaining of the international tournaments, but it's obviously not the best hockey.

helax

General Hockey Fan
Apr 2, 2013
If I count in the amount of research I do and time I spend reading forums etc. WJH is the most exciting for me. There is not as big of a gap skill wise between the teams.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Thats just like your opinion, man. Also could it be that Russia being embarrassed at the last two Olympics have something to do with you thinking its boring?:laugh:

Russia always plays embarrassing.
Latvia play better then Russia right now:) :popcorn:

My opinion OG14 have one good match Canada-USA 1/2.
Other matches very boring

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Russia always plays embarrassing.
Latvia play better then Russia right now:) :popcorn:

My opinion OG14 have one good match Canada-USA 1/2.
Other matches very boring

Not really no :laugh: , although yes Canada-USA match was one of a kind, but i still find OG more fun WJC(although it comes at a close second), idk just seeing the massive number of NHL stars and what they can do is amazing, admittedly, it gets kind of boring seeing Canada dominate for the last 2 Olympics.

kulenova seka

WJC = overrated tournament ! I wonder how many here remembers Pogge and Dawes...I mean...those two are "franchise" players when it comes to WJC...right...

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
I know that bashing the World Championships is a favourite hobby of many but I personally really enjoy both the World Championships and the World Juniors....

Olympics Games rules...:World Cup of Hockey is an insult.

kulenova seka

I know that bashing the World Championships is a favourite hobby of many but I personally really enjoy both the World Championships and the World Juniors....

Which is hard to figure why...I don't know how anyone can find more attractive to watch bunch of no names kids (minus few exceptions) than pro's playing in NHL (and WC rosters are made of NHL-ers, sure not the best ones but still NHL-ers) and KHL [mod].

Last edited by a moderator:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

It only gets bashed because it is a tier 2 tournament for North Americans. I know people don't like to hear that, but it's true.

Get eliminated from winning the Stanley Cup, you possibly get a chance to play at the next best tournament. There is not anyone from NA that would rather win a WC over the Stanley Cup.

And I make sure to reference NA because, Euro's may feel differently. That's their prerogative.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Which is hard to figure why...I don't know how anyone can find more attractive to watch bunch of no names kids (minus few exceptions) than pro's playing in NHL (and WC rosters are made of NHL-ers, sure not the best ones but still NHL-ers) and KHL [mod].

It's not about the kids being better than the NHLers/KHL/SHL etc.... It's about it being much better hockey to watch. The kids put it all on the line. They cry when they lose in the finals. It mean the world to them.

For lots at the WC, it's a vacation for the family after a gruelling hockey season. It's a chance to represent your country, when you are not good enough to if everyone else was available.

It's a "runners up" tournament. Nothing more for NA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Olympics. Higher skill level of mature athletes.

Jr hockey might be a little more exciting at times, but thats because its kid who are making simple mistakes.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
It's the most exciting together with the Olympics. Olympic hockey has the advantage of being a part of a bigger thing.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
WJC = overrated tournament ! I wonder how many here remembers Pogge and Dawes...I mean...those two are "franchise" players when it comes to WJC...right...

I remember them both very well. These 2 players are impact players on the european level. Nigel Dawes had some solid seasons in the NHL before heading to Europe. Not everyone can be a star.

It is not really hard to figure why... WJC provides one of the most exciting hockey of the season, each year. This year is kind of downgrade in terms of pure talent (at least compared to last year which featured Laine, Matthews, Puljujarvi, Aho, Marner, Tkachuk, Boeser, Provorov, Konecny etc.).

Still this year, once again, provides immense young talent and a lot of these players are going to be future NHL stars or impact players on the NHL level, and for all of these young players it is the highest point of their junior career and very important tournament. It means a lot to them, and it is also important for NHL teams. Still can't figure why is it so good? Nonetheless, WJC is played in probably the most beautiful time of the year, Christmas. Makes for a great atmosphere.

WHC in May is indeed very good tournament, I like it a lot but the pool of players is very, very downgraded by the NHL play-offs and often also due to injuries... players are often "destroyed" by the long seasons.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I'd say I get more excited about Olympic hockey it has the added 4 year wait though that builds anticipation. I don't think there is more exciting international hockey then the World Juniors though. I watched the replay of last years Gold Medal game last night. That was A+ hockey and A+ entertainment. The fact these are kids and they play with skill and they do make mistakes is what makes the tournament so good which is what the "ehhh it isn't NHL so it sucks" crowd seem to be completely missing.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
WJC for sure. Reason?
1. I like watching the up and coming talent from each country. The next NHL stars that arent making the big bucks yet, but are fighting for it. Thats the exciting part. This tournament brings the best out of them.
2. Its also a partial guideline for what countries are producing the best talent. And to a small degree, which countries will be competitive at the senior level in the coming years.
3. Its at Christmas! The time of year when all your family is visiting and together. What better time to watch hockey?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Depends what you mean by best. It's not the highest level or the most prestigious by any stretch, but for entertainment value it probably is the best.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The main reason why I enjoy watching the World Juniors is it might give me a good look at some of the NHL's up and comers, especially prospects from my favorite team.

More than anyone, I'm really looking forward to watching our 5th round pick from 2015 - Kirill Kaprizov. Will be nice to see him play entire games instead of seeing only his goal highlights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad