GDT: World Junior Championship 2015

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I know they don't feel like it right now, but that Russian team should be proud.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Darnell Nurse is the first prospect in years that makes me a little bit jealous of Edmonton.

And I'm always going to question the Masin pick because of Barbashev. Hopefully Masin makes me eat that doubt.

ADD: Also, goons are good for something--apparently they produce star players. What a tournament Lil Tie had.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Darnell Nurse is the first prospect in years that makes me a little bit jealous of Edmonton.

And I'm always going to question the Masin pick because of Barbashev. Hopefully Masin makes me eat that doubt.

ADD: Also, goons are good for something--apparently they produce star players. What a tournament Lil Tie had.

Don't like RNH?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Who was that Russian winger he kept battling with? Kid used his body like Nash, could use a winger like that.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014

Really wanted Barbashev with that second first rounder. Unfortunately, I didnt get to see much of Machine this tourney.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Really wanted Barbashev with that second first rounder. Unfortunately, I didnt get to see much of Machine this tourney.

Me either. Our other two boys improved their stock though. TB has to be happy with those performances, over all.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Remember - we got more than Masin for that pick. Also got Macleod. I wanted Barbashev too, but I'm going to trust our scouts.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Remember - we got more than Masin for that pick. Also got Macleod. I wanted Barbashev too, but I'm going to trust our scouts.
Murray and Yzerman were both very confident in trading #28, that they could get the same or a similar player they liked at #35. I still wonder if Masin was their guy. We'll never know, but I would have loved to seen their draft board and how high they ranked Masin. They seem very high on him.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay

Ya, it really sucks with how close we were to getting Barbashev even with the trade. I was so pissed that he went off the board like 2 infront of us. I hope that either Masin or Macloud turn out, cause I think Barbashev will be in the NHL sooner rather than later.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Any thoughts on some of the 2015 draft eligible players that were there?

Eichel was a huge disappointment. Hanifin was good but didn't look like a #3 pick. McDavid got better as the tournament went on and looked legit but not sure if he's the next Crosby, thinking more Thornton as an elite passers but not a big time goal scorer. Zacha was meh, same for Crouse, it's hard to impress when that young but would expect more from potential 1st round picks. Didn't see much of Sweden play.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
I was only truly impressed by Jesse Puljujärvi of 2016, and Nylander during the tournament, none of the 2015 eligibles really stood out.
But Ekblad wasn't that impressive either, and he's doin pretty good :laugh:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...raft-wjc-performances-bring-change-iss-top-30
The 2015 World Junior Championship has come and gone, and with its completion comes a bit of change in the upper reaches of ISS Hockey‘s ranking of the top 30 prospects for the 2015 NHL Draft.

Some of the players from the WJC :

3. LW - Lawson Crouse (CAN)
4. D - Noah Hanifin (USA)
5. RW - Mikko Rantanen (FIN)
6. D - Zach Werenski (USA)
10. D - Ivan Provorov (RUS)
11. C - Pavel Zacha (CZE)
17. D - Brandon Carlo (USA)
28. RW - Alexander Dergachev (RUS)

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Eichel was a huge disappointment. Hanifin was good but didn't look like a #3 pick. McDavid got better as the tournament went on and looked legit but not sure if he's the next Crosby, thinking more Thornton as an elite passers but not a big time goal scorer. Zacha was meh, same for Crouse, it's hard to impress when that young but would expect more from potential 1st round picks. Didn't see much of Sweden play.

Agreed, all of the top-3 picks didn't really live up to the hype.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articl...raft-wjc-performances-bring-change-iss-top-30

Some of the players from the WJC :

3. LW - Lawson Crouse (CAN)
4. D - Noah Hanifin (USA)
5. RW - Mikko Rantanen (FIN)
6. D - Zach Werenski (USA)
10. D - Ivan Provorov (RUS)
11. C - Pavel Zacha (CZE)
17. D - Brandon Carlo (USA)
28. RW - Alexander Dergachev (RUS)

IMO he will be the best Russian defender in the world within the next 5-6 years. He just has upside written all over him. He has all the talent in the world, as he has a little bot of everything. But unnfortunatly he is doing a little bit too good to be in our picks ball park I guess.:cry:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/light...-point-on-pretty-crazy-wjc-experience/2213096
Point, 18, the Lightning’s third-round pick, had set up Nick Paul with a beautiful back-hand assist to give Team Canada a 2-0 lead in Monday’s World Junior tournament title game in Toronto.

“In the celebration, I kept saying, 'Are you kidding me?’” Point said. “It was wild. Once we got on the bench, you see the crowd erupted. 'I just made a play in the gold medal game.’ It was pretty cool.”
Point considered himself “on the bubble” during Canada’s training camp, needing a strong showing to even be in consideration. He was happy to play a secondary role.

“Being the 13th guy, I definitely grew as a person I think,” Point said. “I was able to be a better teammate than I was before. It was an awesome experience, I know a lot of guys would have loved to have been in my spot as the 13th guy.”
Lightning director of amateur scouting Al Murray watched all the prospects play, and here's his take.

"I thought DeAngelo was excellent with the USA team," Murray said. "He showed his skill level, I think they got a comfort level with him after not having him around the program for a few years. He was on the top power play unit, scoring points for them, killing penalties. A key player in key situations. I think (team USA) got a lot more respect for what he brings to the table."

"Masin, he started slowly the first couple games. Then his coaching staff seemed to grab hold of him. He had a shutdown role against the best players from the other teams. He had a really good World Juniors."

"Point was the 13th forward for Canada, but anytime he got an opportunity, he was very noticeable. Really pleased with him."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad