OT: World Cup

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
This is a once in a lifetime event for Canada. We’re a first world country with a lot of money. The improvements that will be made to the city will be worth it for the future. This also places Edmonton on the international stage since this is the biggest sporting event in the world.

Yeah just like all the great improvements for the whole city from the arena.

After over 20 years of having atrocious roads and sidewalks in front of my house they are getting upgrade thus year. And I still have to pay half the cost. The arena has done zero for me or the old lady across the street.

These things greatly help a small % of the population but every one pays for it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is a once in a lifetime event for Canada. We’re a first world country with a lot of money. The improvements that will be made to the city will be worth it for the future. This also places Edmonton on the international stage since this is the biggest sporting event in the world.

I agree with some of this but not the bolded. Just being a lesser host of a WC in which just a few matches are played does not put you international stage for long. Every WC, and this one has main stadiums, venues, city, and secondary ones. Just look at the Russian hosts of this WC. How many of the locations are "also rans" Will anybody remember those when the WC is done.

Exclusive hosting of an Olympics or WC puts Cities on the map as per Calgary, Vancouver, Montreal. Very small part hosting (3-4 games if that) certainly does not put a city on the map for any longer than the telecast time.

To test this name all the venues of the Russia WC, Name all the venues of the last two WC's. Without checking you can't. In the case of Brazil people generally remember Rio and that's it.

Finally the notion that we are first world so we spend a lot of money is the worst reason seen. We are a struggling developing economy that needs to correct a patterned reliance on non renewable exploitation which is our economic break and butter in a carbon reduction world. So that our money pit is not endless. "We have lots, just spend it" is akin to "I promise not to blow it all away in the next oil and gas boom. Well, boom!

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
the blank check tells you nothing?
No, it tells me nothing. It doesn't tell me how much it actually is. It doesn't tell me how much money is brought into the City by having the event.

It tells me that it's expensive. Well everything in sports is expensive.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

After over 20 years of having atrocious roads and sidewalks in front of my house they are getting upgrade thus year. And I still have to pay half the cost. The arena has done zero for me or the old lady across the street.

These things greatly help a small % of the population but every one pays for it.

I'm sympathetic to this. Arena/Stadia builds, Oly and WC do not ever benefit taxpayers. There is no valid economic reason to have them. Any attempted are false accounts of expenses vs benefits.

You build these or host these primarily because a metropolis desires prestige. Its ego based, it always is.

In the Case of Oly, and WC the longstanding and most common legacies are facilities that are post neglected, in disrepair, of no real use, and that are often just completely abandoned or packed with dynamite.

That said we have infrastructure but the pricetag for being even a small fry host would still cost 50M in assurances.

But this is just the type of thing that entices the COE. Attempts at prestige.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
No, it tells me nothing. It doesn't tell me how much it actually is. It doesn't tell me how much money is brought into the City by having the event.

It tells me that it's expensive. Well everything in sports is expensive.

Which is why a plurality of people who tend not to be represented on sporting sites have long since turned off pro sports, switched the channels, or cancelled them altogether. pro sports is overpriced today and well beyond normative ability to pay. To an insane degree.

Stating the bolded doesn't mean people should support it anyway. I love the WC, obviously, but it would be inconsistent of me not to consider that it is most definitely errant spending.

Ironically, perhaps, we're arguing these very points during the play of a bought World Cup tournament.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Since the initial ball didn't go to him it is considered a "new situation" by the time he gets the ball.

I.e. when Ronaldo is offside the pass goes to his teammate and then it is not considered offside

I thought that if the player that was initially offside received the ball immediately after the first touch, the offsides was called because the offsides player "had an impact in the play". I might be wrong though.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Ronaldo very much still has a chance to surpass Messi as the best player of his generation, and possibly of all time.

Pulling a Maradona and carrying his team to a WC title might just do it.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

The arena district when it's completed will revive the downtown core. This will effect almost everyone in the city and those visiting the city. The roads and sidewalks are a city wide problem that shouldn't have gotten to this point in many areas of the city if they would have approved a higher quality asphalt. Without events like the Commonwealth games, future World Cup, having an NHL franchise then we'd just be some small, northern Canadian city without an identity. We might as well be Saskatoon or Regina. The World Cup will require the city to upgrade the Stadium, LRT, Airport as well as tourist locations. It's a win for the city and its people.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm sympathetic to this. Arena/Stadia builds, Oly and WC do not ever benefit taxpayers. There is no valid economic reason to have them. Any attempted are false accounts of expenses vs benefits.

You build these or host these primarily because a metropolis desires prestige. Its ego based, it always is.

In the Case of Oly, and WC the longstanding and most common legacies are facilities that are post neglected, in disrepair, of no real use, and that are often just completely abandoned or packed with dynamite.

That said we have infrastructure but the pricetag for being even a small fry host would still cost 50M in assurances.

But this is just the type of thing that entices the COE. Attempts at prestige.

Not all benefits are monetary. Even economics theory accounts for this.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
The arena district when it's completed will revive the downtown core. This will effect almost everyone in the city and those visiting the city. The roads and sidewalks are a city wide problem that shouldn't have gotten to this point in many areas of the city if they would have approved a higher quality asphalt. Without events like the Commonwealth games, future World Cup, having an NHL franchise then we'd just be some small, northern Canadian city without an identity. We might as well be Saskatoon or Regina. The World Cup will require the city to upgrade the Stadium, LRT, Airport as well as tourist locations. It's a win for the city and its people.

At the current pace, FIFA might have to postpone an extra 20 years.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don’t have an issue with the World Cup being played here although, I admit that article was eye opening. Anybody who thinks the games being played here means anything other than some bragging rights is fooling themselves though. We hosted the IIAF Championships here in 2001. This was sold to us as being the third largest sporting event in the world behind the Olympics and the World Cup. It was supposed to bring an economic boom to the city. It did for only a select few. What I remember most from that event was homeless people being rounded up from around the Stadium and distributed to other areas of the city because it didn’t look good having them around. Judging from that agreement FIFA won’t tolerate them either. There are more to relocate this time around.

Like I said, I’m fine with the City hosting but it should be acknowledged what types of outrageous sacrifices need to be made and also how expensive it will be just for three or four games.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Saskatoon is a wonderful place to visit, live, good economy, good entertainment, districts, parkland, river valley trails etc.

Edmonton will never be World Class, nor will Winnipeg or hundreds of other places. Nor should they be falsely chasing such designations to be Paris of the prairies. Its inherently silly to do so. But I do think that the discussion on Edmonton potentially hosting the WC should be a different thread than discussing the current World cup.
Not all benefits are monetary. Even economics theory accounts for this.

Now this is good feedback, and while vague, is a plausible position to take. Indeed many things in life are not financially worthwhile but that they are aspired to for some harder to quantify reasons. its been too long since I've looked at Economics theory to know what some of that corollary theory would be. Can you break it down in short form?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Saskatoon is a wonderful place to visit, live, good economy, good entertainment, districts, parkland, river valley trails etc.

Edmonton will never be World Class, nor will Winnipeg or hundreds of other places. Nor should they be falsely chasing such designations to be Paris of the prairies. Its inherently silly to do so. But I do think that the discussion on Edmonton potentially hosting the WC should be a different thread than discussing the current World cup.

Now this is good feedback, and while vague, is a plausible position to take. Indeed many things in life are not financially worthwhile but that they are aspired to for some harder to quantify reasons. its been too long since I've looked at Economics theory to know what some of that corollary theory would be. Can you break it down in short form?

Utility - Wikipedia

:)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I know for sure Guy Lafleur didn't look like that and he always had a smoke hanging out of his mouth.

Ronaldo's ability to sprint up and down the field and leave mortals in the dust is something borne of preternatural genetics, lifelong dedication to physical fitness, body type, 100% designed training etc.

He's a footballer, a sprinter, a brick wall when needed. Its one reason why he's the greatest.

Reactions: booyakasha

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I know for sure Guy Lafleur didn't look like that and he always had a smoke hanging out of his mouth.

Ronaldo's ability to sprint up and down the field and leave mortals in the dust is something borne of preternatural genetics, lifelong dedication to physical fitness, body type, 100% designed training etc.

He's a footballer, a sprinter, a brick wall when needed. Its one reason why he's the greatest.

Ask4sports.com compiled a list of the fastest soccer players by estimating their top-end speed based on videos of their games. Ronaldo tops their list, having been clocked going as fast at 10.9 meters per second, or 24.4 miles per hour, (39 Km/h)Sub 10-second 100m runners are usually able to run over 26 mph at their top speed.
all this and while dribbling a ball, and doing crossovers. madness.

edit : Ronaldo was clocked at 33.6 Km/h while dribbliing, and 39 straight sprinting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Thanks, I vaguely remember it being cited as why somebody would drive a Porche instead of a VW. But I drive a Hyundai and so don't subscribe..;) Plus that the VW doesn't get stolen..

part jk but I'm born of fiscal prudence and pragmatism with rare whims of excess...

joy is in the brain.

I experienced immense joy just watching Portugal-Spain. As much as if being there.

I experience it riding a bike, hiking, reading a book, being mindful and content in what one has and what one experiences.

This despite my Oilers related complaining and curmudgeonry ;)

ps there was a break between the storms today. Dark ominous clouds all over and the sun like radiant magic shining through the only blue patch in the sky for 30mins. Wondrous. Not even a hurricane.

This may seem entirely disconnected but Saskatoon, or Edmonton, or anywhere in the privileged world is what you make of it. Splendor does not require gold paved streets and a perpetual urban drive to be world class, whatever that means.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Thanks, I vaguely remember it being cited as why somebody would drive a Porche instead of a VW. But I drive a Hyundai and so don't subscribe..;) Plus that the VW doesn't get stolen..

part jk but I'm born of fiscal prudence and pragmatism with rare whims of excess...

joy is in the brain.

I experienced immense joy just watching Portugal-Spain. As much as if being there.

I experience it riding a bike, hiking, reading a book, being mindful and content in what one has and what one experiences.

This despite my Oilers related complaining and curmudgeonry ;)

ps there was a break between the storms today. Dark ominous clouds all over and the sun like radiant magic shining through the only blue patch in the sky for 30mins. Wondrous. Not even a hurricane.

This may seem entirely disconnected but Saskatoon, or Edmonton, or anywhere in the privileged world is what you make of it. Splendor does not require gold paved streets and a perpetual urban drive to be world class, whatever that means.

It’s all in the experience. And experience differs for everyone. There isn’t a right answer AFAIC. The good news is we live in a country where we are free to debate this, even if the ultimate choice by government doesn’t agree with our own. And that should be part of the experience.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ask4sports.com compiled a list of the fastest soccer players by estimating their top-end speed based on videos of their games. Ronaldo tops their list, having been clocked going as fast at 10.9 meters per second, or 24.4 miles per hour, (39 Km/h)Sub 10-second 100m runners are usually able to run over 26 mph at their top speed.
all this and while dribbling a ball, and doing crossovers. madness.

edit : Ronaldo was clocked at 33.6 Km/h while dribbliing, and 39 straight sprinting.

That sprint in the first half from his own box to leading the way to the Spain goal was simply mind melting. he left everybody else on the pitch in the wake by 20M. You could replay that time after time. It didn't even seem real, or as if a person that wasn't Usain Bolt could so distance from mortals. That this incredible play climaxed by a perfect fake, and then perfect cross to a wide open striker was not finished was a shame. He deserved so much better than that.

Could you imagine a Ronaldo playing for Germany instead of Portugal? he would have 3 WC wins already. If in Argentina he would likely have 1.

people forget how much one player elevates Portugal. In the history of the WC Portugal has only qualified 7 times. 4 of those have been with Ronaldo. Its a stat that really tells it all. As many state you can put Ronaldo in any league, tournament, side, and he's the best. His game is so adaptable he's simply the best at any level or style of play, anywhere. That can't be said about Messi.

Reactions: booyakasha

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That sprint in the first half from his own box to leading the way to the Spain goal was simply mind melting. he left everybody else on the pitch in the wake by 20M. You could replay that time after time. It didn't even seem real, or as if a person that wasn't Usain Bolt could so distance from mortals. That this incredible play climaxed by a perfect fake, and then perfect cross to a wide open striker was not finished was a shame. He deserved so much better than that.

Could you imagine a Ronaldo playing for Germany instead of Portugal? he would have 3 WC wins already. If in Argentina he would likely have 1.

people forget how much one player elevates Portugal. In the history of the WC Portugal has only qualified 7 times. 4 of those have been with Ronaldo. Its a stat that really tells it all. As many state you can put Ronaldo in any league, tournament, side, and he's the best. His game is so adaptable he's simply the best at any level of play, anywhere. That can't be said about Messi.

I do want to see Ronaldo and Messi on the same team though.

It’s a pity that won’t happen until they’re both past their primes and playing in MLS. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad