OT: World Cup

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Imagine this goes to penalties and England wins 2 penalties in one WC lol.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Let the second guessing begin. The English media is going to go apeshit over the Dier substitution and the potential misuse of Vardy.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I do feel bad for English football fans though.

This is the equivalent of Canada not winning in hockey at the international level in any major event for 50+ years.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Ummm... what?

Almost every player in the world cup that plays for a non-Asian/CONCACAF nation plays extensively at the club level or their manager won't select then for the national squad.
"are more full " meaning relatively speaking.

As an example, Alfonso Davies would be a great tournament player for Canada...
If we ever got into a tournament.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
"are more full " meaning relatively speaking.

As an example, Alfonso Davies would be a great tournament player for Canada...
If we ever got into a tournament.

We will be in about 10 years.

And to be honest I think we should expect a lot of poaching non-captied dual citizen-eligible Canadian youth soccer players between now and then. If the federal government throws money at the CSA like they did with Own The Podium after Vancouver won the Winter Olympics, we could see some shenanigans.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Being an Oilers fan and an England fan must be paying for sins I made in a past life.

Played like ripe old ass though in the second half.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
We will be in about 10 years.

And to be honest I think we should expect a lot of poaching non-captied dual citizen-eligible Canadian youth soccer players between now and then. If the federal government throws money at the CSA like they did with Own The Podium after Vancouver won the Winter Olympics, we could see some shenanigans.

Totally off topic but who the hell is in your profile picture???

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

This is the equivalent of Canada not winning in hockey at the international level in any major event for 50+ years.
England in Soccer is not equivalent to Canada in hockey lol. hahahahah. 1 World Cup in 60 years. ahh no. :laugh:. Brazil is more like Canada in hockey.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
England in Soccer is not equivalent to Canada in hockey lol. hahahahah. 1 World Cup in 60 years. ahh no. :laugh:. Brazil is more like Canada in hockey.

That's what I mean though. They are equivalent to Canada in spirit and theory, but in practice they're so bad on the international stage that it's hilarious.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's too bad England didn't finish this one.

The meltdown would have been spectacular after France whooped them.

How is it going to be different now. This was perfect. England ahead 1-0 in semifinal, England is dreaming, and then it clatters shut on them as they once again give up a lead in a semifinal to go out of the tournament. A curse that hasn't been repealed since 1970 when Germany beat them 3-2 in Semifinal after England were up 2-0.

The England curse lives. Making the final would have removed that curse..;)

Great game by Croatia and fully deserving of the win. England looked like pretenders in a bracket final, frankly, and have literally no offensive chops aside from set pieces. They can't set up anything in flow of play which is another good reason Croatia are going through.

England would fail to do anything against the French D. At least Croatia have a chance of solving it.

The best team in this bracket advanced to the final.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
How is it going to be different now. This was perfect. England ahead 1-0 in semifinal, England is dreaming, and then it clatters shut on them as they once again give up a lead in a semifinal to go out of the tournament. A curse that hasn't been repealed since 1970 when Germany beat them 3-2 in Semifinal after England were up 2-0.

The England curse lives. Making the final would have removed that curse..;)

Great game by Croatia and fully deserving of the win. England looked like pretenders in a bracket final, frankly, and have literally no offensive chops aside from set pieces. They can't set up anything in flow of play which is another good reason Croatia are going through.

England would fail to do anything against the French D. At least Croatia have a chance of solving it.

The best team in this bracket advanced to the final.

Finals vs Semi-Finals, historic rival nation, etc.

But this will still be pretty enjoyable. :D Croatia is a fun side to watch and fully deserving of where they are. The English are ro16 fodder that got this far on the (lack of) strength of their bracket.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

I don’t think it’s anywhere close to that level. We expect to win. The competition is soccer is so fierce that England can’t be expected to win every year.

Reactions: AM

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don’t think it’s anywhere close to that level. We expect to win. The competition is soccer is so fierce that England can’t be expected to win every year.

English fans have optimistically expected to win ever since 1966, especially during their "golden generation" of Lampard/Gerrard/Rooney/Ferdinand/etc.

Like I said, in theory, with England being the "home" of soccer, they act like Canada do in hockey but can never actually win anything of substance.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
English fans have optimistically expected to win ever since 1966, especially during their "golden generation" of Lampard/Gerrard/Rooney/Ferdinand/etc.

Like I said, in theory, with England being the "home" of soccer, they act like Canada do in hockey but can never actually win anything of substance.

Indeed.

Basically your analogy is sound at first glance but it falls apart when you realize that Canada doesn't suck at hockey.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Indeed.

Basically your analogy is sound at first glance but it falls apart when you realize that Canada doesn't suck at hockey.

That's why I feel bad for their fans. They are analogous to Canada in hockey in almost every respect except for the one that keeps fan sanity: winning.

If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny. Actually it still is funny to a certain extent. They find new ways to lose in every tournament.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That's why I feel bad for their fans. They are analogous to Canada in hockey in almost every respect except for the one that keeps fan sanity: winning.

If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny. Actually it still is funny to a certain extent. They find new ways to lose in every tournament.

So, kind of like Leaf fans.

Reactions: Cloned and bone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad