World Cup SF: Sep 11 GDT - Czech Republic vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
WOW we play our worst game in years,..... the Czech play way over their head,..... we play with our best defence and goalie injured,.....AND STILL

NO ONE TOUCHES CANADA

go home boys its our game!

Vic Rattlehead*

Flame_Star_Devil said:
With Brodeur's injury history... 3 missed games in 11 years... I don't think Quinn was worried about him getting hurt.
That's amazing :eek:

Knucklez

Jan 1, 2004
Behind the bench!
Visit site
Does anyone else see a lot of Scott Niedermayer in Jay Bouwmeester? It's not just the incredible skating ability, he just reminds me of him when I watch him, just like Richards reminds me of Sakic.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
THORNTON19 said:
For a guy who loves Brodeur so much you'd think you'd be happy that you might get to see him play one more game on Monday night. COuld be the last time you see him for a year!!!!

I've seen more of Martin Brodeur than most people will see in their lives. Frankly, he has nothing left to prove. People really just have to accept that. If Brodeur had been in I would have been cheering for Canada. But the Czechs impressed me so much with their determination, flare, and heart that I really couldn't bring myself to root against them.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Knucklez said:
Does anyone else see a lot of Scott Niedermayer in Jay Bouwmeester? It's not just the incredible skating ability, he just reminds me of him when I watch him, just like Richards reminds me of Sakic.

Bouwmeester's style is a little different from Niedermayer's but I see a lot of Nieds in Bouwmeester. It might be seeing them play together. Richards and Sakic is a great comparison though Richards will never have Sakic's shot.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Flame_Star_Devil said:
I've seen more of Martin Brodeur than most people will see in their lives. Frankly, he has nothing left to prove. People really just have to accept that. If Brodeur had been in I would have been cheering for Canada. But the Czechs impressed me so much with their determination, flare, and heart that I really couldn't bring myself to root against them.

Heart? I didn't see any from the Czechs. Sure, they really took it to Canada in the offensive zone...they were just throwing pucks at the net like mad. They also got physically destroyed tonight...I'm not sure if the Czechs landed more than a couple hits.

The only reason I was happy for the Czechs was seeing Havlat score - mind you, it wasn't at a good time :)

As for Luongo, he's good...but he's no Brodeur right now. The first goal was a fluke...the second was one he should've had; Havlat shouldn't have been uncovered either though. The third he was completely screened on and it deflected, so you can't really blame him for that. Nonetheless...the game likely would not have gone to OT if Brodeur was in.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Flame_Star_Devil said:
In any event, Luongo proved to me today (he let up weak goals to give up the lead twice) that he is nowhere near Martin Brodeur.

I swear thats about the 100th time you've said that......that being said, who knows what would have ahppened with Brodeur in net...would he have robbed Hejduk twice(once in OT), Dopita right in front of the net? For all we know, Brodeur could have given up 7 goals had he been in net.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I cannot believe the hatred on Luongo, he was outstanding. The third goal was a mess it was a shot in between 4 sticks he prolbably didnt even see the release.

Vinny has been our best player all tournament, he is just an incredible talent. I love the makeup of that line, Heatley is due im betting he scores atleast one in the finals.

Prince Mercury

Apr 7, 2004
Fort McMurray
joeminus said:
That call was one of the weakest I've seen in this tournament. Even the announcers said so. A total make-up call. Lecavalier is far from reckless and undisciplined -- that was the Vinny of 3 years ago. You might try updating your scouting report.

Up here the very biased Cole and Neale said nothing of it being a weak call. I think the call mostly came from Lecavalier bringing up his stick as to hook, getting the ref's attention. It doesn't take an old scouting report to say Lecavalier is undisciplined, it takes the ability to judge Lecavalier's play separate from that of his teammates.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Chaos said:
I swear thats about the 100th time you've said that......that being said, who knows what would have ahppened with Brodeur in net...would he have robbed Hejduk twice(once in OT), Dopita right in front of the net? For all we know, Brodeur could have given up 7 goals had he been in net.

As it is, though, you have no choice but to go by what the have done and not what they might have done.
Maybe the 10th time. Or so. Give or take. :D

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Rob said:
Years from now we will look back at this game as being a true classic.

This is exactly what I was thinking while I watched the game. The Czechs were brilliant, but the Canadians excelled while not quite matching their dicipline.

Dantonius

Sep 5, 2004
Paradiso
www.repubblica.it
Do people ever stop to ponder WHY more shots are piled up against Luongo than Brodeur? Do the words puck handling, rebound countrol and fundamentals sound familiar? You might want to try learning those terms if all you can conjure is "Luongo faces more shots and thus is a better goaltender." His mental and technical game is NOWHERE near Brodeur's. That's a fact, and for those who can't see it--oh well, carry on with the Marty bashing.

Vic Rattlehead*

Dantonius said:
Do people ever stop to ponder WHY more shots are piled up against Luongo than Brodeur? Do the words puck handling, rebound countrol and fundamentals sound familiar? You might want to try learning those terms if all you can conjure is "Luongo faces more shots and thus is a better goaltender." His mental and technical game is NOWHERE near Brodeur's. That's a fact, and for those who can't see it--oh well, carry on with the Marty bashing.
? :loony: No on was bashing Marty here...

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Flame_Star_Devil said:
My "lame" prediction was based on mathematical grounds only...

7-2
6-1
5-0

See the pattern? It was more a joke than anything else.... :(

But I am bitter. I think the Czechs deserved to win this game. They pretty clearly wanted it more and really played their hearts out today.

In any event, Luongo proved to me today (he let up weak goals to give up the lead twice) that he is nowhere near Martin Brodeur.

I don't agree that the Czechs wanted it more. They played a better team game but they also seemed to play with less pressure on them. They could do no wrong coming into this game... ie Canada was the "favorite" to most, and they were the home team.

High flyin' Habs*

So what do I see here? People bashing Luongo saying that he let in weak goals? Surprise surprise :shakehead .

Dantonius

Sep 5, 2004
Paradiso
www.repubblica.it
Chaos said:

Would there have been 40 shots against?

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Chaos said:

Yeah because based on Brodeurs history that's more than likely what would have happened. :shakehead heh heh heh.

Brodeur would have been solid, steady and would have been better for the team in net due to his solid handling of the puck and his often mistake free games. Luongo was good enough in this game, but Brodeur is that much better. Rarely does Brodeur let the opposition back into games when it matters, and that's what Luongo did on the first goal (imo), he gave them heart. All the same, fantastic game!

Erngueva

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Dantonius said:

If you want to teach a young goalie the technic of goaltending. You better teach him the Luongo technic. Brodeur have his own technic. It work for him, but he is not the more technical goalie out there.

High flyin' Habs*

I just went to the official site of the world cup to see the highlights of the game and guess what? there were no highlights :banghead: ! Why is that?

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
smoothskater said:
So what do I see here? People bashing Luongo saying that he let in weak goals? Surprise surprise :shakehead .

Hyperbole strikes again! He had a good game, but Brodeur would have been better. I don't think that should be a mystery, as Brodeur was the initial #1 before the injury, and has been stellar in every game he played. One weak goal in four games against the worlds best players? Hmm...

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
quat said:
Yeah because based on Brodeurs history that's more than likely what would have happened. :shakehead heh heh heh.

Brodeur would have been solid, steady and would have been better for the team in net due to his solid handling of the puck and his often mistake free games. Luongo was good enough in this game, but Brodeur is that much better. Rarely does Brodeur let the opposition back into games when it matters, and that's what Luongo did on the first goal (imo), he gave them heart. All the same, fantastic game!

And based on Roy's history, would anyone have ever guessedhe'd give up 7 against the Wings in game 7 of the WCF? Point is, you cant just arbitrarily say the game wouldnt have even gone to OT had Brodeur been in net...you just dont know.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Chaos said:
And based on Roy's history, would anyone have ever guessedhe'd give up 7 against the Wings in game 7 of the WCF? Point is, you cant just arbitrarily say the game wouldnt have even gone to OT had Brodeur been in net...you just dont know.

No offence, but do you really think people don't understand what you said? Children begin comprehending your lesson around the age of two. You are the one saying the opinion " if Brodeur had have been in net then it's likely the game would not have gone into overtime" is an arbitrary conjecture, and that is completely false. It is based on our experience of watching Brodeur play many games in similiar situations. As you pointed out with the Roy example, we could be wrong, but it would still be an accurate supposition. For our part we are not being arbitrary.

I Hate You All*

smoothskater said:
I just went to the official site of the world cup to see the highlights of the game and guess what? there were no highlights :banghead: ! Why is that?

Your peabrain is incapable of multitasking because it is so small.
When you devote all of your brainpower to whining about why that mullet-sporting Hell's Angel beneficiary didn't get the start in net for Canada it prevents your peabrain from focusing on anything else.
Thus, your peabrain is rendered incapable of finding the highlights over the internet at the same time.

Your mind is in overload right now. You are rattled. You made probably 15 posts in this thread earlier on today about why Theodore should get the start. Now that you have returned to the thread after the game and people are being critical of Luongo's play, you think, "wow, I knew it all along, I am just so smart!" To you, others being critical of Luogo's play automatically confirms your earlier beliefs. Since you are so sure that you have been right all along it is eating at your mind and driving you insane; everybody else is wrong and you were right all along! Yet nobody believes you!
The only thing you can do now is let it go and accept the fact that Theodore didn't get the start. Tell yourself you were right all along if it helps the process.
If you stop trying to trash Luongo and make up excuses for Theodore in all of your many many posts it may free up some brainpower and allow you to focus and actually find the highlights.
Otherwise, you are doomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad