World Cup SF: Sep 10 GDT - USA vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
caper said:
I feel your pain brother :) ...and for the record I don't hate Americans...our two countries are pretty much alike.....o.k. except for maybe a couple of things, we have medicare, fewer guns, and multi-colored money, colder weather (in some cases) and metric (and I hate the metric system)....besides that we are pretty much the same............kind of like America "lite" :lol:

One thing I do have to comment on though is the misconception, by some (not all mind you) Americans who think that all of Canada is a frozen tundra, covered in snow for 11 months of the year. Sure maybe the extreme northern part of Canada fits that description (not that I'd know cuz I've never been there), but c'mon we're talking "Arctic circle" north here. I can't speak for all of Canada, but where I live (near Halifax N.S.) we get t.v. feeds from Boston so I see their weather reports on a regular basis, and for the most part, our weather up here where I live pretty much mirrors what I see on the Boston stations. Maybe not identical as Bostons summers may get a wee bit warmer...but from what I've seen there's usually very little differences in temperatures. Heck....sometimes I can even go up to 2 weeks in the summer when I don't have to wear a parka (just kidding).

Did I mention, I hate metric :lol: :lol

I visit Canada all the time. I love it there. I played hockey there too, it was fun. I dont think its a Tundra. I dont consider them different than me at all. I go to the bars and clubs there, and they all do the samething...their is nothing different...though I have to say I like the whole dark hair dark eyes and regards to girls and there are plently of them up there :D

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
mikkoz said:
They are so close, hard to say which is no.1

In my mind, if it wasn't of Koivu's injuries, it wouldn't be close at all. And don't forget that Kurri played with Gretzky almost all career long.

If Koivu leads Finland to their first gold medal, then the choice will be clear in my mind. And watch out at the Olympics. With an even better goaltender (Lehtonen), the Finns will have a heck of a team, with Koivu as their captain, for sure!

I would be really mixed up if Canada wins. If the final is Canada and Finland, anyone can win, I don't care. I cheer for both teams.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Chelios did not shake hands with Finns after the game and Robert Esche whined about "crap goals"....classy losers for sure. Well at least they did not trash a house like in Nagano after they got served.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
markov` said:
Is it fair to say that Koivu is the best Finn ever? Maybe after Kurri?

You're kidding me right? Koivu hasn't accomplished nearly as much as Kurri has, maybe internationally he has, but in the NHL, Koivu has nothing on Kurri. Heck, I'd like to think that Koivu isn't even the best Fin right now, let alone best ever..

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Ott = Snott said:
You're kidding me right? Koivu hasn't accomplished nearly as much as Kurri has, maybe internationally he has, but in the NHL, Koivu has nothing on Kurri. Heck, I'd like to think that Koivu isn't even the best Fin right now, let alone best ever..

Yeah I totally agree... Koivu isn't close to the "best Fin ever." You have Kurri and Selanne and I'm sure there are others ahead of him. At best he's third.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Flame_Star_Devil said:
Yeah I totally agree... Koivu isn't close to the "best Fin ever." You have Kurri and Selanne and I'm sure there are others ahead of him. At best he's third.

Tikkanen, Lehtinen, Numminen.. there are quite some players that have meant more or just as much to the game of hockey as Koivu.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
You'll see. Koivu's career isn't over. If we talk about skills, maybe Selanne and Kurri are better. But when we talk about passion and leadership capabilities, only Tikkanen can be comparated with Saku.

Vic Rattlehead*

psycho_dad said:
Chelios did not shake hands with Finns after the game and Robert Esche whined about "crap goals"....classy losers for sure. Well at least they did not trash a house like in Nagano after they got served.
I expected that from Chelios, but not from Esche.

weetabix

Sep 6, 2004
best Finn ever

In my opinion the best ever is clearly Kurri. You are not best scrorer in playoffs by accident.
So what that he had Wayne Gretzky on his line, it doesn't make his accomplishments small either. That's like saying that Kipper is not great, because he has so good defence backing him up at Calgagy.

If we take only international tournaments, I would say that Ville Peltonen in my records beats Saku Koivu with slight margin. Main reason is of course that Nhl keeps the best player in there often when international tournaments are held. Oh and peltonen scored three goals in the final when we won World Championships in Sweden. Not to mention the winning goal against Roy in Olympics bronze medal game.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
psycho_dad said:

I can see Chelios not shaking hands (because he's done that before on an international stage) but Esche? I find that hard to believe that Esche was coming out and whining. That just isn't how he is. Where did you see this?

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
markov` said:
You'll see. Koivu's career isn't over. If we talk about skills, maybe Selanne and Kurri are better. But when we talk about passion and leadership capabilities, only Tikkanen can be comparated with Saku.

Brenden Morrow plays with passion and posseses great leadership qualities, but no one confuses him with some of the best in hockey history. Just face it, career wise, Koivu has nothing on Kurri, nothing on Tikkanen and nothing on Selanne, and right now, he along side Jere and Teppo are in the same boat.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Ott = Snott said:
Brenden Morrow plays with passion and posseses great leadership qualities, but no one confuses him with some of the best in hockey history. Just face it, career wise, Koivu has nothing on Kurri, nothing on Tikkanen and nothing on Selanne, and right now, he along side Jere and Teppo are in the same boat.

Saying Numminen and Lehtinen are better than Koivu is Pejorative Slured. Stop being an homer.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
markov` said:
Saying Numminen and Lehtinen are better than Koivu is Pejorative Slured. Stop being an homer.

Lehtinen IS better than Koivu IMO, though you can make a good case for either of the 3, yet I'm not praising him as the best Finn that has ever lived. Seems like the only homer in this thread is you..

High flyin' Habs*

Ott = Snott said:
Lehtinen IS better than Koivu IMO, though you can make a good case for either of the 3, yet I'm not praising him as the best Finn that has ever lived. Seems like the only homer in this thread is you..

Stop being such a you know what, we all know that Koivu is the best player on team Finland.

High flyin' Habs*

Ott = Snott said:
Who's "we" and "all"? Hab fans?

I dont care what some Leaf fan might say to you but, Im sure that everybody else will tell you that Koivu is the best on team Finland.

High flyin' Habs*

Flame_Star_Devil said:
Not the case. Kiprusoff is.

He is yeah? What has he accomplished that Koivu hasn't? I dont see how he is better. IMO Koivu has a huge heart, something that most players lack.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
SENSational said:
meh I think Kipper is IMO

Kipper is sensational (no word game there) in this tournament, true. Better than Koivu, true. But when we talk about the best Fin ever, only Kurri, Selanne, Tikkanen and Koivu are in the race. I'd place Koivu 1st or 2nd.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
smoothskater said:
He is yeah? What has he accomplished that Koivu hasn't? I dont see how he is better. IMO Koivu has a huge heart, something that most players lack.

And Kiprusoff has backstopped Finland to the finals. He has heart too.
BTW, Koivu doesn't follow Kiprusoff either. Timonen does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad