World Cup SF: Sep 10 GDT - USA vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
This game is gonna be a battle of discipline. USA will need to play a tight checking game to beat Finland's superior speed, and Finland will have to play the tight checking game they have been playing to combat USA's superior talent. Also, USA will have to go out of its way to stay out of the penalty box - America has a penchant for bad penalties, combined with the entire Finland team possessing the inherent Finnish trait of being able to agitate anybody. I hope Finland plays Ruutu - he could easily draw Tkachuk into punching him in a scrum, drawing a roughing, to counter any even-strength momentum the US might gain.

I predict a close game with USA winning 3-2. Modano will be the first star with one goal. Kiprusoff won't play a spectacular game, but enough to keep Finland in it.

velimiiro

Actually i think Finland will win because of their goaltending...

gib

Feb 3, 2004
kmad said:
I hope Finland plays Ruutu

J.Ruutu plays in fouth line. It will tonight be in form of Nieminen-Hahl- J.Ruutu. Now we will see how this line works. Many finns wanted/expected to see this line already games played in Europe, but it didn`t happen. Naturally this line has to come out with physical appereance and mentally disturb USAs top line(s). Ruutu played ok against Chech and Germany, but he wasn`t like I expected. Nieminen played invisble against Germany in semis, but in the other hand the hole team played like grap. Hahl haven`t shown up earlier, but I expect him to bring some size, muscle and defensively orientated game to this line.

I can`t make my mind which one will win this. The crucial thing is has Finland recovered from Niinimaa`s leaving. If Finland plays like against Germany, we have no hope, but if we play like earlier in this tournament USA needs to play perfect game to stop us.

Last edited:

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
At last the fourth line will be in the mold it should have been at start of this tournament. J. Ruutu - Hahl - Nieminen. Kipper will continue to shine but even Kipper will help us win of the other member of team Finland is still as spiritless as it was in the game against Germany.

Team USA is going to be the toughest opponent in this tournament for us. The likes of Guerin, Tkachuk, Modano, Rafalski and Chelios are all world class hockey players. When you're up against a team with these kind of individuals who plays together like a team should you have to be awake since the puck drops to the point the buzzer tells the game is over. I too have a bad feeling about this but I am also a guy that believes in miracles. I win is a possibility but it will take everything Team Finlands got and a little bit more IF Team Finland has the fighting spirit and heart of a lion I've accustomed to see from them in situations like this one.

Mr. Penguin

Aug 30, 2004
Finland
Finland will win this game 3-2. It will be Finland's greatest achievment ever in hockey.
And damn, I'm so glad to see the Nieminen-Hahl-J.Ruutu line again! :)

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Fatigue will be a huge factor in this game. The Finns will tire by the third period and only Kiprisoffs heroics will keep it close. The U.S. will dominate but only win by a 4-2 margin!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I say Finland wins 2-1 in OT.

If they play NHL rules it will probably be the 2nd OT.

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
The goaltender situation is quite equal, Eche has been really good, specially on both games against russia and also in against Canada. Kipper same solid performance night after night.

So does finnish defense have enough mussle to stop the USA.
And is USA defense as fast as Finns offence.

No predictions.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
I'm hoping for a finnish victory but I think it's going to be very close. The americans have the home ice advantage and north american refs and they are often more clutch than the finns so I'll give them the victory, but this is not an impossible task for the finns.

Arne

Aug 30, 2004
Kotka, Finland
The refereeing will be a key factor. If it's the :shakehead same as it was against Sweden.... we lose. Screw that!! We'll fight and we'll win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad