• England

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Senegal

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I’m thinking Senegal here, mostly because of something @Adele Dazeem pointed out when we were talking about Senegal vs Ecuador. Senegal has a ton of speed. Maguire/Stones/Dier don’t do well with speed and Pickford is bad.

This might be a bit of a shootout though. If England can turn it into not a shootout but keeping possession and force Senegal to play in their own half, then it should be England but I don’t have faith in them doing this. Especially based on that US game where they looked like shit with the ball.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hoping for an early goal from Senegal to put pressure on England to come out & play, so Southgate can't southgate himself too hard.

Reactions: Gecklund

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Foden, Henderson and Walker start. Mount on the bench. Not a fan of Henderson starting against Senegal's midfield.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
England's starting 11 makes me think Southgate's gameplan is going to be similar to the one he used against the US, giving Senegal the ball more often than not in order to negate their biggest asset, counterattacks.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I’m thinking Senegal here, mostly because of something @Adele Dazeem pointed out when we were talking about Senegal vs Ecuador. Senegal has a ton of speed. Maguire/Stones/Dier don’t do well with speed and Pickford is bad.

This might be a bit of a shootout though. If England can turn it into not a shootout but keeping possession and force Senegal to play in their own half, then it should be England but I don’t have faith in them doing this. Especially based on that US game where they looked like shit with the ball.
I think it will be a shootout like you're insinuating. I still think England has the much better forwards so I think they should win this. Feels like a 3-1/3-2 kind of game.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think it will be a shootout like you're insinuating. I still think England has the much better forwards so I think they should win this. Feels like a 3-1/3-2 kind of game.
I have Senegal winning it because even though England has the better forwards, I think the speed is severely lacking without Rashford or Sterling starting and that’s going to limit their counter attacking chances.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I find that extremely unlikely given one of the teams is coached by Gareth Southgate.

I'm no Southgate fan myself. I think the players he has on right now are fine. A little defensive yes, but technically speaking England can outplay Senegal in midfield.
I have Senegal winning it because even though England has the better forwards, I think the speed is severely lacking without Rashford or Sterling starting and that’s going to limit their counter attacking chances.

It's really going to depend on a multiple different variables. Senegal need to show zero respect to England and play their way. Fast and overwhelm that shaky English center back duo. If they get caught in a possession battle they will lose because ultimately the English are technically better.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Sure, but England will place an emphasis on not conceding i.e. it will be a tight game, not a back and forth.

I will honestly be shocked if the duo Stones-Maguire don't concede at least one goal to this Senegal side.
They are way too fast to be contained by those two.

edit: Which I predict will lead to the game "opening-up"

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Friend: "English accents are hot"
Me:
177907-1663841733.jpg

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
This would have had a such different feel to it had Mane and Gueye been in the lineup. Senegals has no MF presense.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad