• England

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Senegal

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He would probably find a way to criticize France for allowing a shot against while being up 3-0 in the 89th minute and then proceed to bitch about Pavard.
Nope. Pavard won't see a minute from DD's mindset. I don't know what went on, but it seems Pavard's mistake against Australia has completely turned DD against Pavard.
Probably blamed his partners in the lockerroom, he's so full of himself.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Well, England made quick work of that. Tough luck for them that their QF isn't a "do your job and advance" but "prove you deserve to win the World Cup" type match. Lose there, and people in England will look at it as a disappointment even if honestly France should by all means be considered the favorites by far.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I love how on HF, people say they want England to lose and yet...

England won't be an easy opponent for France because they can counter very nicely and our D is shaky.

I think we’ll make it difficult for you, but you’re a better team overall and Mbappe is the difference maker. Football is a crazy game though, anything can happen on the day. Potential for game of the tournament though.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I love the commentator referring to the “sizeable existence of Koulibaly” because an African CB by default has to be massive and an aerial threat.

Koulibaly is 6’1 and not good in the air
Koulibaly is built like a fridge though, and can't outmuscle most strikers, maybe that's what he meant.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Just utter the word's "Mbappe" to Maguire and he will shit himself
Southgate should play 3 at the back and keep Walker on Mbappe. Otherwise they're toast. Even though Walker at some point today couldn't even contain Sarr, he's obviously not 100%

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Southgate should play 3 at the back and keep Walker on Mbappe. Otherwise they're toast. Even though Walker at some point today couldn't even contain Sarr, he's obviously not 100%
If I was England fan I would be scared shitless about Southgate getting tactics right for this game. Is he going to change formations? is he going to try to get Sterling back into the squad? needs To be very delicate here

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
If I was England fan I would be scared shitless about Southgate getting tactics right for this game. Is he going to change formations? is he going to try to get Sterling back into the squad? needs To be very delicate here
I expect him to stick with the 4-3-3 but with Walker tucking inside as a third CB when they're in attack. Would be slightly surprised if he went to the 5-2-3, only because that would likely mean dropping Bellingham (if he's playing that system, it's with a Rice-Phillips or Rice-Hendo pivot, Bellingham is too adventurous for a two man midfield in that system), and Bellingham is undroppable.

If Sterling is back - which, based on the context of Sterling leaving, I don't think is a given - then maybe he comes in? But Foden is a better match-up for Kounde and was obviously brilliant today. Sterling has a great track record in big games for England under Southgate, though, so if he's back I think it's totally possible he comes in and, honestly, could be a difference maker.

I think the only change for the QF Southgate makes is Mount back in for Henderson. Two reasons why I think he does this. 1. Bellingham will likely be positioned slightly deeper against France than he was against Senegal. 2. Mount's pressing and energy is invaluable against a team like France.

If the game's still tied in the 70th min, Southgate brings on Trippier for one of the MFers and moves to a back five.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I expect him to stick with the 4-3-3 but with Walker tucking inside as a third CB when they're in attack. Would be slightly surprised if he went to the 5-2-3, only because that would likely mean dropping Bellingham (if he's playing that system, it's with a Rice-Phillips or Rice-Hendo pivot, Bellingham is too adventurous for a two man midfield in that system), and Bellingham is undroppable.

If Sterling is back - which, based on the context of Sterling leaving, I don't think is a given - then maybe he comes in? But Foden is a better match-up for Kounde and was obviously brilliant today. Sterling has a great track record in big games for England under Southgate, though, so if he's back I think it's totally possible he comes in and, honestly, could be a difference maker.

I think the only change for the QF Southgate makes is Mount back in for Henderson. Two reasons why I think he does this. 1. Bellingham will likely be positioned slightly deeper against France than he was against Senegal. 2. Mount's pressing and energy is invaluable against a team like France.

If the game's still tied in the 70th min, Southgate brings on Trippier for one of the MFers and moves to a back five.
Honestly I think England’s best chance vs France is playing the same lineup they played today and keeping things very similar. Making Bellingham more defensive to play Mount I think blows up in his face. After the game Bellingham had today, I am not reinventing the wheel there.

Reactions: luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad