World Cup Rosters - Nuge named to U24 NA team. Hall not named to Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So basically it's a series of all-star games then and not an actual World Cup? Seems to be the biggest complaint here is them calling it a World Cup for marketing purposes when it clearly isn't.

I guess, I think the biggest complaint is from people who the whole thing isn't being created for. It's to develop and grow the game and it's star players, the ones who have concerns don't require any help, they already appreciate the league, so their complaint is more akin to "why to do need to do this silly crap, we already all like this", more or less.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I guess, I think the biggest complaint is from people who the whole thing isn't being created for. It's to develop and grow the game and it's star players, the ones who have concerns don't require any help, they already appreciate the league, so their complaint is more akin to "why to do need to do this silly crap, we already all like this", more or less.

Fair comment Jimmi, well stated. :handclap:

You are right, I won't debate the point. But its still the league treating established Canadian fans with contempt.

Bettman ; "Hey Canada, theres nothing in this, or the playoffs for you, hey, you haven't won a cup since 93, but hey, we hope you still watch". :(

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

You are right, I won't debate the point. But its still the league treating established Canadian fans with contempt.

Bettman ; "Hey Canada, theres nothing in this, or the playoffs for you, hey, you haven't won a cup since 93, but hey, we hope you still watch". :(

"We hope you still watch our product AND pay more for it than everybody else does!!"

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Yes, Mr. Bettman you jerk, I'm so super annoyed Edmonton still has a team.

Some of you lot have very interesting attitudes towards things like this. It's so strange to watch the transition, these things that are no longer created for you and the how that affects the attitude there after.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

Wait what? It's not Bettman's fault most Canadian teams are poorly run.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Wait what? It's not Bettman's fault most Canadian teams are poorly run.

Its more Bettmans fault that Canadians end up paying 10X as much for worse junk and non playoff clubs.
Bettman fostered an NHL with tons of new arenas, more revenue generation, making more money, and higher priced ducats. Good for the league, not so good for the fan, not hard to understand. I don't follow the NHL as a business model. If I did I'd say "yay bettman" and he did, but as a fan I don't have to like the idea of the NHL trying to be big leagues and putting out dreck. Especially in Canadian markets.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Its more Bettmans fault that Canadians end up paying 10X as much for worse junk and non playoff clubs.

Bettman didn't build the rinks or the teams.

Bettman fostered an NHL with tons of new arenas, more revenue generation, making more money, and higher priced ducats. Good for the league, not so good for the fan, not hard to understand.

Yes because it's in the league's best interest to make as little money as possible.

I don't follow the NHL as a business model. If I did I'd say "yay bettman" and he did, but as a fan I don't have to like the idea of the NHL trying to be big leagues and putting out dreck. Especially in Canadian markets

Again: what is the league supposed to do about it? Rig it so Canadian teams get high draft picks? Oh wait...

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Bettman didn't build the rinks or the teams.
Well, technically no because he's not in a trade and he's not a construction worker. But did he aid, abet, cajole, in the case of most or even all of these arenas as he did here? With vague suggestions that this is required, municipalities have to get with the program, big leagues, etc. with vague applied suggestion that being left behind could mean no team?

Yes because it's in the league's best interest to make as little money as possible.
Again, follow my argument. I'm a fan of hockey, not of business. I simply don't care that the league is making more money. The only beneficiaries in the league making more money is owners, players, agents, and some org related staff. The fans don't benefit, they pay for it. Taxpayers in many cases don't benefit, they pay for it. We essentially get the same players, the same type of teams, and same type of product, but the ducats have gone up more than 10fold in pricing in a couple of decades.

Again: what is the league supposed to do about it? Rig it so Canadian teams get high draft picks? Oh wait...
Its more complex than that. Making hockey a bigger deal in the sporting world, In the US, and competing with other pro sports, results in more players wanting to go the bigger markets (translation mostly US Cities which are bigger markets) because they can earn more corollary income there. In a pre Bettman universe where less US people cared about the NHL more of the corollary income and benefit was found in Canada. Canada can no longer compete, on an economy of scale, with the corollary benefit obtained through advertising, representation, other contracts a player can receive in the US, vs here.

We may well be in a capped league, but that only influences actual pay from the teams. In the US a players total earnings through making more through such corollary benefit is greater.

In short making the game bigger in the US has resulted in most good players wanting to be there because they can quite simply earn more total income there. Hockey is now more marketable in the US.

Further, due to less taxation in most US states players can KEEP more of their earnings in the US than they can here in Canada.

Last edited:

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Well, technically no because he's not in a trade and he's not a construction worker. But did he aid, abet, cajole, in the case of most or even all of these arenas as he did here? With vague suggestions that this is required, municipalities have to get with the program, big leagues, etc. with vague applied suggestion that being left behind could mean no team?

Sports owners have been grifting the public long before Bettman and they'l grift them long after he's gone. Nothing new there, if it wasn't him, it'd be somebody else.

Again, follow my argument. I'm a fan of hockey, not of business. I simply don't care that the league is making more money. The only beneficiaries in the league making more money is owners, players, agents, and some org related staff. The fans don't benefit, they pay for it. Taxpayers in many cases don't benefit, they pay for it. We essentially get the same players, the same type of teams, and same type of product, but the ducats have gone up more than 10fold in pricing in a couple of decades.

Sounds like your problem here is with late stage neo-liberal capitalism and not the league or Bettman per se. :nod:

Its more complex than that. Making hockey a bigger player in the sporting world, and competing with other pro sports, results in more players wanting to go the bigger markets (translation mostly US Cities which are bigger markets) because they can earn more corollary income there. In a pre Bettman universe where less US people cared about the NHL more of the corollary income and benefit was found in Canada. Canada can no longer compete, on an economy of scale, with the corollary benefit obtained through advertising, representation, other contracts a player can receive in the US, vs here.

We may well be in a capped league, but that only influences actual pay from the teams. In the US a players total earnings through making more through such corollary benefit is greater.

In short making the game bigger in the US has resulted in most good players wanting to be there because they can quite simply earn more total income there. Hockey is now more marketable in the US.

Further, due to less taxation in most US states players can KEEP more of their earnings in the US than they can here in Canada.

If your argument is the game would be better off it if the league was even more niche and small-time than it is (closer to the CFL or MLS than any of the major sports) I'm sympathetic to a degree, but I don't think that's anything more than wishful thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad