World Cup QF: Sep 7 GDT - Russia vs. USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Canadian_man said:
How many times has the US won it between 1980 and now?

Its interesting how Americans happen to be the only international fans who find pleasure in bashing Canada's hockey skill. The Swdes dont do it, neither do the Russians.

I am no genius, but it may have something to do with proximity? Sweden and Finland have the same type of rivalry that the US and Canada have. Makes sense. The Vancouver Canucks have a much more hated rivalry with the Western Canadian teams than they do with the Florida Panthers too, etc...etc...

I think its as simple as that.

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
Gee...guys...(I mean Russian posters here). I understand you are using the fact that nobody can really understand what you write but can you not swear so much? :eek:

There are Russian kids reading this board.

Thank you. :)

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
Rabid Ranger said:
It wasn't a sell-out but it was far from "half-filled."

17,218 was the official count. I'm surprised they got that many.

Again, I don't think this has been marketed all that well. Add that to the long holiday weekend, and the games start so early most people can't get home from work and to the games on time, and you're going to have trouble filling the building. Plus, it's just not hockey season yet. Minnesotans seem to be very season-oriented. Hockey is for fall-winter. ;)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
ceber said:
17,218 was the official count. I'm surprised they got that many.

Again, I don't think this has been marketed all that well. Add that to the long holiday weekend, and the games start so early most people can't get home from work and to the games on time, and you're going to have trouble filling the building. Plus, it's just not hockey season yet. Minnesotans seem to be very season-oriented. Hockey is for fall-winter. ;)

Maybe I missed something watching the game on television, but the arena looked pretty full to me, and the fans were enthusastic when it was time to do so. It's not the like the atmosphere at say...the ACC has been any better.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Canadian_man said:

Its interesting how Americans happen to be the only international fans who find pleasure in bashing Canada's hockey skill. The Swdes dont do it, neither do the Russians.

Yeah, and Canadians are paragons of virtue. Give it a rest. I think everyone takes some delight when a "bitter enemy" hits the skids. I know I do.... :p:

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Canadian_man said:

What! Between 98-02 Euro hockey fans loved to bash Canadian hockey as being "ugly" and "unskilled". A US hockey fan may be happy if Canada loses but that is not the same as bashing our hockey skill. Europeans do most of the bashing.
:teach:

thrill_me_mogilny

May 23, 2003
Hopefully this isn't too OT, but I've seen it mentioned, about the early start time in MN. I'm guessing that the urban area is big enough so that people(most people finish work between 4 &5PM) could pop into the game after work and grab a burger there for 6Pm game? Is the arena in the middle of nowhere and hard to get too? To me there isn't much difference between 6&7PM start times to make me not attend.

And I definitely agree about the bad marketing. You can't force people to shell out money for something they are not interested in. Could it also be in part that the area does not have large ex-pat communities to cheer on the old homeland? As for expensive ticket prices, it would have been cheaper for me to fly to MN and get a good ticket than to do it here!

Buya89

Aug 11, 2004
Russia
Slick Nick said:
It's incredible, that much people baching Russia on talent... Russia is all about talent! There are too many talented guys on the russian team, everyone wants to pull out some stickwork, backhanded pass, skate to stick trick... this works in the NHL because the level is lower and that most of these guys have two passers. When you got Afinogenov, Kovalchuk and Datsyuk, on the same line..****, they all try to do the superman style. They are way to talented to play together. Same thing happend with the Lemieux line, they can't score...They are invidually too good.

How come Ilya Kovalchuk ( best PP player in the league), Gonchar (best D scorer), Kovalev (best stickhandler in the league), Datsyuk (one of the brightest players) and whoever was placed with them couldn't score? Lack of talent???? Please... TOO MUCH TALENT, not enough garbageman in front of the net.

We needed Yushky on point and I cant think of any garbageman for russia.... Nazarov? Titov?

Buya89

Aug 11, 2004
Russia
:nopity:
BruinsGirl said:
Gee...guys...(I mean Russian posters here). I understand you are using the fact that nobody can really understand what you write but can you not swear so much? :eek:

There are Russian kids reading this board.

Thank you. :)

We dont swear...... HONEST!

Buya89

Aug 11, 2004
Russia
Rob said:
What! Between 98-02 Euro hockey fans loved to bash Canadian hockey as being "ugly" and "unskilled". A US hockey fan may be happy if Canada loses but that is not the same as bashing our hockey skill. Europeans do most of the bashing.
:teach:

OH NO!

you are on to us!! :razz:

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
The only country where this tournament sells out is in Canada, where there is only the CFL to compete with it for the sports pages, and frankly, the CFL is no competition for hockey in Canada.

Arenas in Europe were mostly half full, and in the USA, St. Paul has been about 3/4 of capacity. In Europe and the USA, sports calendars are far more congested and and hockey is not the top sport, it's doing pretty well.

That said, last night was a good performance by Team USA, who took advantage of Russian defensive mistakes and made them pay.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
thrill_me_mogilny said:
Hopefully this isn't too OT, but I've seen it mentioned, about the early start time in MN. I'm guessing that the urban area is big enough so that people(most people finish work between 4 &5PM) could pop into the game after work and grab a burger there for 6Pm game? Is the arena in the middle of nowhere and hard to get too? To me there isn't much difference between 6&7PM start times to make me not attend.

And I definitely agree about the bad marketing. You can't force people to shell out money for something they are not interested in. Could it also be in part that the area does not have large ex-pat communities to cheer on the old homeland? As for expensive ticket prices, it would have been cheaper for me to fly to MN and get a good ticket than to do it here!

It's not so bad that people don't attend; they just show up late, prompting all sorts of "place is half empty" comments. The arena is pretty full after a while, just not right at the start. The problem isn't so much location, it's traffic. I know season ticket holders that will miss the 7 o'clock starts during the regular season if traffic is especially bad, so I'm not surprised the 6 o'clock start has an effect.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
How is 17,218 attendance somehow perceived as a failure? Many arenas can barely seat that many people. Reports from numerous quarters suggest that the volume and crowd reaction in Toronto has not equalled that in Montreal so far (Bob McKenzie has said as much). Does this somehow denote a failure or a poor reaction on the part of Toronto fans? Of course not. Hockey fans in various cities react differently.

Call me crazy, but 17,000 people at a non-NHL hockey game in the August/September time frame is hardly a disappointment. People had some understandable difficulty driving in from work for the awkward 6pm local start time (which was, after all, in deference to the East Coast), and slowly got into the game, but by game's end that building was loud and raucous. The criticism seems to be a bit on the nitpicking side.

Reilly311

I saw a picture of a sign that said: "Tkachuk Tsucks"

:dunno:

(lone)Yashinfan#79

he was not so endearingly referred to as 'Captain Weasel' during his time in Winnipeg...with a penchant for padding the stat line in meaningless games yet turning invisible in the playoffs (guess that monkey is somewhat off his back, eh?)

Grandma Shark

Jan 10, 2004
SAN JOSE<South Bay> IN CA
Spaceace said:
Those people that hate him are just jealous that Tkachuk isn't on THEIR team. :teach:
Actually, I am RELIEVED that Tkachuk is not a member of our SHARKS TEAM as nothing I've seen/heard have him as being a great team-type player.........IMO,just not my type of hockey player.

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
ceber said:
It's not so bad that people don't attend; they just show up late, prompting all sorts of "place is half empty" comments. The arena is pretty full after a while, just not right at the start. The problem isn't so much location, it's traffic. I know season ticket holders that will miss the 7 o'clock starts during the regular season if traffic is especially bad, so I'm not surprised the 6 o'clock start has an effect.

My office is just off of University near the Midway, so I'm actually thinking of taking a bus downtown to Friday's game. I'll leave at 5, and be at the arena by 5:30 or so. The bus will just shoot right down the shoulder of I-94 into the western edge of downtown, and I'll hop off and walk 3 blocks. It's as close as I'd get if I drove and parked anyway. After the game, I'll just take a cab back to my office for 5 bucks and drive home. By 9 o'clock I'll be watching the TIVO replay to see if I made it on worldwide television!

By the way, anybody else going to Friday's game want to meet for a brat between periods?

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
thrill_me_mogilny said:

I'm lucky, because as a department manager I pretty much set my own hours. But most people don't have that kind of flexibility. The problem isn't that the arena is in the middle of nowhere - it's the other way around. The problem is urban sprawl. The Ex is right smack in the middle of downtown St. Paul, within a few blocks of both major freeways. But most of the people who work in the Twin Cities work in the middle of nowhere - the Cities are spread out over about a thousand square miles, and most people work in the suburbs. People in the most densely developed suburbs work 25 to 30 miles from the arena, and it's a solid 90-minute to 2-hour drive during rush hour. Very few people work in downtown St. Paul, and everyone who doesn't is just SOL trying to fight rush hour traffic for a 6 o'clock start.

thrill_me_mogilny said:

Cheaper than you realize. People at the ticket office today told me that they were giving away tickets at game time last night.

I agree with you and Ceber about the marketing, and about the seasonal impact on the attendance. I love hockey more than almost anything, but on the Friday of Labor Day weekend, there was no way on God's green Earth that I was going to be sitting in an arena watching a hockey game. Summers are way too short here in Minnesota, and at game time last Friday I was halfway up the North Shore of Lake Superior on my way to a weekend of camping and hiking in the Boundary Waters. I missed last night's game because I was too bus unpacking and doing laundry from the weekend. I don't have time for indoor spectator sports until around mid-October, and a lot of other people in this area feel the same way. We love the outdoors here in Minnesota.

As for the marketing, well... frankly I can't comment on it, because I haven't noticed much of it. Which I guess is a comment in its own right, eh? There've been a lot of full and half-page newspaper ads, but I have yet to see a single TV commercial about the tournament. Not that I watch that much TV, but still. I would think I'd have noticed something. Same with radio - several interviews on various sports shows, but not one commercial that I've heard. I don't know what their advertising budget was, but they don't seem to have spent very much. I'm speculating that they were counting on a lot of word-of-mouth getting people worked up, but that just doesn't seem to have happened.

Heck, even the local TV stations hardly seem to give a rip. All you hear is "Twins this, Vikings that, high school swimming blah blah blah." Last night I was 5 minutes into a 6-minute sportscast before they even bothered mentioning that there'd been a hockey game in St Paul that night, and by the way the Americans won it. Not exactly stirring people into a hysterical frenzy. I'm surprised anyone's even aware that there are games to be seen this week. They had stacks of tickets available today for Friday's game; I could have still gotten lower bowl if I'd wanted to spend the money. It's very puzzling to me.

Spaceace

Jul 30, 2002
2,000 miles from Savvis
Visit site
Grandma Shark said:
Actually, I am RELIEVED that Tkachuk is not a member of our SHARKS TEAM as nothing I've seen/heard have him as being a great team-type player.........IMO,just not my type of hockey player.
Yeah,ok. San Jose could use a player like Tkachuk. San Jose has no real tough forwards. And before you say Todd Harvey,he isn't tough;he's a agitator.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Buya89 said:
I agree on you about kasparitis, but gonchar played okay the one who u should blame is KALININ!! where is MARKOV WTF?

And Frolov played fantastic, no finish ? you are crazy this kid is going to be awsome.

Gonchar , Kalinin, Markov , they were all AWFUL except Vishnevski who were ok to good.

Frolov, I know he's fantastic but on this tournament he had no FINISH !!! great moves, great hands & oops something happen. Future is bright but he didn't deserve that much ice time on this world cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad