GDT: World Cup Of Hockey - Part II

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Would it be better or worse if they instituted a draft for the World Cup?

Had a friend suggest it and I can't decide if I like it or hate it.

What does that mean? Have 8 nameless teams and draft players to the teams?

That sounds really bad to me, if that's what it means.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
What does that mean? Have 8 nameless teams and draft players to the teams?

That sounds really bad to me, if that's what it means.

Yeah.

The rational part of me says that's just absurd. You basically remove any form of pride from the tourny and make it a longer All-Star game.

But the weird part of me thinks it would at least be interesting to see and in theory it would produce a very competitive games all through the tourney. :laugh:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It would be somewhat entertaining as an All-Star Tournament...but completely misses the entire friggin' point of an international tournament :laugh:

Frankly I think the World Cup needs to be doused in gasoline and immolated...but yeah, no. The only way a draft 'works' is if they're intent on keeping the garbage gimmick teams and don't want to completely screw the US over in doing so (aka the US would have a chance to 'pick' Matthews).

Regardless, I'm not going to give it a moment of my time until they make it an actual, legitimate international tournament and not another garbage cash-in designed to inflate Canada's egos whilst emptying their wallets. Gimmick teams are insulting to the core concept of an international tournament.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It would be somewhat entertaining as an All-Star Tournament...but completely misses the entire friggin' point of an international tournament :laugh:

Frankly I think the World Cup needs to be doused in gasoline and immolated...but yeah, no. The only way a draft 'works' is if they're intent on keeping the garbage gimmick teams and don't want to completely screw the US over in doing so (aka the US would have a chance to 'pick' Matthews).

Regardless, I'm not going to give it a moment of my time until they make it an actual, legitimate international tournament and not another garbage cash-in designed to inflate Canada's egos whilst emptying their wallets. Gimmick teams are insulting to the core concept of an international tournament.

:laugh: While you were on your soap box, you missed a pretty entertaining tournament.

Meh. To each their own.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I don't understand how the bolded even applies, other than sounding a bit bitter that Canada looked good while Team USA looked like ass.

If anything, the novelty teams made it a more difficult tournament for Canada. So if the intent was to "inflate Canada's ego" they would have just had two really crappy teams as the last two teams so Canada could beat up on them, rather than two teams who ended up actually being two of the best in the entire tournament.

It's also a bit laughable that anyone would believe a tournament that is pushed heavily by Gary Bettman is somehow geared toward making Canada look good. The same Bettman who would rather see failing teams in Arizona and Carolina than move back to Quebec or add a team in Hamilton.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't understand how the bolded even applies, other than sounding a bit bitter that Canada looked good while Team USA looked like ass.

If anything, the novelty teams made it a more difficult tournament for Canada. So if the intent was to "inflate Canada's ego" they would have just had two really crappy teams as the last two teams so Canada could beat up on them, rather than two teams who ended up actually being two of the best in the entire tournament.

It's also a bit laughable that anyone would believe a tournament that is pushed heavily by Gary Bettman is somehow geared toward making Canada look good. The same Bettman who would rather see failing teams in Arizona and Carolina than move back to Quebec or add a team in Hamilton.

Obviously the US sucked because they didn't have the ability to pick Matthews, Gaudreau, Eichel, and Saad. It had nothing to do with their utter incompetence. I mean, they didn't pick that Kessel guy (or Shattenkirk or Faulk or Bobby Ryan, etc), but they definitely would have picked those 4.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009

I think it was pushed by Bettman to make money. Nothing more. Nothing Canadian ego related. I didn't have much interest in the tournament for a variety of really inconsequential reasons but in the end it just didn't call to me. And I'm a guy who watched the World Juniors whenever possible. I actually wanted to watch more because Team USA failed so hard and I think a lot of American's here were rooting against them because of their management. I know I was. I was saddened by the 0-3 of my beloved Finns though...

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Let me make this clear - I'm absolutely ecstatic that the US flamed out in the worst way possible...the people running Team USA are nothing short of incompetent and need to be put out to pasture...the only way that we had a hope of that happening was the exact result that happened. I couldn't give a **** who won the tournament, but as an American I was actively rooting for Team USA to finish dead last.

The patriotism may have shown through if I respected the tournament in the least, but considering I held this tournament in contempt I had no qualms with rooting against my country if it meant change would happen. 2010 was the worst possible thing to happen to USA Hockey...it put out the thought that US management had 'figured out' how to beat Canada, but...no...that was just Miller playing out of his ****ing mind while playing behind a solid team that was good enough to exploit mistakes.

As it stands I'm a hardliner Olympics or GTFO when it comes to international hockey, the US could win the next 10 WJCs and I won't care if the senior team can't capitalize on an absurd decade of talent, but I can be swayed to adopt the WCoH if they do it right...and I found this tournament set-up to be a sick and disgusting joke.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I enjoyed watching Crosby **** on this tournament. That was really the only reason I watched.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad