GDT: World Cup Of Hockey - Part II

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Last edited:

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Burns was ****ing annoying on that PP. You have the best players in the world to pass to, and you just keep taking wrist shots at the net because.[/url]

No! Burns is a bearded genius and shot blocking should be banned. It is the only reason the Sharks lost, there is no antidote against it. Except passing or faking a shot once in a while. Yep, Dumoulin is an offensive savant, shot blocking is ruining hockey.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
ETA: Dat ain't my post either. Sidney the Kidney wrote dat in the previous thread^

Start it off right, i suppose:

Last edited:

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Looking like Sid and McDavid will have to wait for their first ever meeting on ice. All points at the moment leading into Sid vs. Geno part IV. They've met three times in the past:

2005 WJC Final, CAN 6 - RUS 1 (an assist for Sid, no points for Geno)
2010 Olympics QF, CAN 7 - RUS 3 (no points for Sid, an assist for Geno)
2015 World Championship Final, CAN 6 - RUS 1 (a goal and an assist for Sid, a goal for Geno)

There's obviously also the pre-tournament game for the ongoing World Cup last week in Pittsburgh, in which CAN beat RUS 3-2 after OT (both Sid and Geno collected an assist), but that's an exhibition game.

CAN has dominated RUS in the games where Sid and Geno have faced each other so would be interesting to see if Geno can finally beat Sid or if Sid still continues his dominance over Geno.

EDIT. In case someone wondered about it, yes those are also the only international games where Sid and Ovechkin have met. Ovechkin has no points the three official tournament games. He had a goal in that exhibition game last week though.

Last edited:

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013

Oh Mackinnon you big dumb golden retriever. :laugh:

I was wondering why the kids' celebration seemed so over the top... and now i know :laugh:

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I think Finland will beat Russia. They've eliminated Russia so many times before. It's a young team and their pride is very much on line, I guarantee to you that it's not a meaningless game to anyone.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
1) Anyone have scenarios for tonight on who will end up in the semis?

2) I cannot believe anyone took the Kessel thing to heart from Team USA. What a bunch of whiny babies. I want my athlete having that attitude. I want any human to have that attitude. That's great. That's someone who is freaking competitive.

You know who would be exactly like that but not say anything - Sid. Sid's ultra competitive. If you left him off Team Canada, he'd LOVE to tell you "I told you so."

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Backes is a whining baby if he took that to heart. Phil was clearly giving a little jab at management and coaching. "Those comments will be remembered" What the hell does that mean Backes? What a turd.

Parise is right that Phil probably couldn't play anyway, but clearly that wasn't the point.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
1) Anyone have scenarios for tonight on who will end up in the semis?

Sweden will play Team Europe in the other semifinal and Canada will face either Russia or Team North America in the other one. If Russia wins tonight in any fashion they'll proceed to Semi's to face Canada. If Finland wins in any fashion, Team North America proceeds to Semi's to face Canada.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh

So Lombardi thinks they picked the team right but the problem was that they were just so darn good they were overlooking everyone but Canada. Fans of USA Hockey, this is what we have to look forward to. Lesser players being taken in favor of building the "right culture."

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

So Lombardi thinks they picked the team right but the problem was that they were just so darn good they were overlooking everyone but Canada. Fans of USA Hockey, this is what we have to look forward to. Lesser players being taken in favor of building the "right culture."

Lombardi can't really say he should have picked Kessel over any specific player. I have no doubt he was a moron with the roster decisions, but even if he realizes he was wrong, he won't say it.

The too much focus on Canada is funny since they got smoked by them.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
It's great... "We focused too much on Canada", who in turn smoked Team USA. So any way you spin it, they did a god-awful job building a team and playing to, what they though, was their floor.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The US national team needs burned down and completely rebuilt. Their tone-deaf approach, insistence on nebulous intangibles when selecting players (as opposed to actual real talent and ability) and overall poor attitudes and lack of accountability will continue to hold them down, otherwise.

Too many dinosaurs, wannabe tough guys and flat out incompetent meatheads running the show, there.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The good thing is... there are a lot of good young Americans to rebuild quickly on. They need to get the old heads out of management, too. Bring all the youth possible.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
There are coaching options (Sully, Hynes) but who could they put in at an executive level? Tom Fitzgerald maybe? Bill Guerin?

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Torts slithered out from under his rock and joined the fray.

(Apparently Phil should care how a team that didn't select him looks)

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I cannot say it any more. It doesn't make Kessel look bad. I cannot understand that reasoning at all. It makes Kessel look hungry. He wanted to be there. As I keep saying - I would question Kessel more if it didn't bother him.

Kessel just showed everyone that he wants to be the guy called on in big games. As a Penguin fan, we definitely know that from watching the SCP. That's why he shines in big games.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
We'll acknowledge the criticism from media because we can refute them easily. We won't take it from people "in the know" because they will have valid points and will easily show our shortcomings.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
We'll acknowledge the criticism from media because we can refute them easily. We won't take it from people "in the know" because they will have valid points and will easily show our shortcomings.

Pretty much.

But, hey, the man is an expert on the subject of arrogance.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
What the hell does that mean Torts? Why can't Kessel, who is one of the best American goal scorers of the last decade and just scored the most goals on a Cup winning team, voice his displeasure with not making the team?

Man these people have thin skin. Just brush it off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad