GWT: World Cup - Group H (Portugal and South Korea Advance)

Who Advances?

• Portugal

Votes: 46 88.5%
  • South Korea

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Ghana

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Uruguay

Votes: 40 76.9%

• Total voters

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Missed the game but why were they mad?

Yeah, thats not what the rules are.
Penalty claim that would have put them through. Actually a couple. One was a clear penalty to me and the other was definitely not a penalty to me. Still disgraceful to be surrounding the refs but definitely got f***ed over.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Portugal is the king of giving the goal in added time to negatively impact a result.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Penalty claim that would have put them through. Actually a couple. One was a clear penalty to me and the other was definitely not a penalty to me. Still disgraceful to be surrounding the refs but definitely got f***ed over.
I think the first was close. Not a ton of contact with player or ball,

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think the first was close. Not a ton of contact with player or ball,
From the views I saw (granted not the best and I’m definitely distracted) he didn’t get any of the ball but got a bit of the player. It was definitely a little bit of a dive and Nunez (was that who it was?) definitely made the most of it but it was still a penalty.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
From the views I saw (granted not the best and I’m definitely distracted) he didn’t get any of the ball but got a bit of the player. It was definitely a little bit of a dive and Nunez (was that who it was?) definitely made the most of it but it was still a penalty.
The overhead replay shows the ball touch. It's not clear as to foot on ball but you can see the ball change directions in a way that could only happen with a touch.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Absolutely disgraceful display by Uruguay. Yes one of the pen calls was a 50/50, but they also dove all over the pitch to draw calls they shouldn't have had and also got away with a sure red card if the ref spotted it. They play dirty and should never have the benefit of the doubt. Good riddance!

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Rochet (because I had to pick one)

Kim Moon-Hwan
Pepe
Godín
Cancelo

Bentancur
de Arrascaeta
Bruno

Valverde
Kudus
Cho Gue-Sung

HM:Kim Jin-Su, Olivera, Son Heung-Min, Felix, Salisu, Giménez

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Why were Uruguay players so angry at the end of the game at the ref? I saw at least four actually physically touch the main ref, but also the linesmen as well.

Rochet (because I had to pick one)

Kim Moon-Hwan
Pepe
Godín
Cancelo

Bentancur
de Arrascaeta
Bruno

Valverde
Kudus
Cho Gue-Sung

HM:Kim Jin-Su, Olivera, Son Heung-Min, Felix, Salisu, Giménez
Cho definitely was one of the best players in this group, no questions asked.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Absolutely disgraceful display by Uruguay. Yes one of the pen calls was a 50/50, but they also dove all over the pitch to draw calls they shouldn't have had and also got away with a sure red card if the ref spotted it. They play dirty and should never have the benefit of the doubt. Good riddance!

Yep, CONMEBOL teams doing CONMEBOL things and the refs finally calling them out/ignoring them.
CONMEBOL: Surprised Pikachu face.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Well Uruguay had that Ronaldo pen whistled against them, then asked for 2 against Ghana. They were all correct decisions for me but that explains their anger.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Well Uruguay had that Ronaldo pen whistled against them, then asked for 2 against Ghana. They were all correct decisions for me but that explains their anger.
Ronaldo was sitting on the bench when that penalty was whistled.
I do not recall a scene of German players harassing the officials aggressively after the final whistle. If you can, please share the match, so I can review.
Germans no but Portugese, definitely.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Judging the "team" based on two players is a stupid and thoughtless argument. Uruguay had like six including multiple coaches.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
2009 CL semi final. Mueller cries any time he's on the bitch. This is known.
2009 semifinal? I just checked the footage. Ballack had a brief word with the ref after the match and then turned around and left. Drogba was easily the most agitated Chelsea player and the one who had to be held back.

And for Müller you cant even think of a match..and saying something to the ref isnt what the Uruguayans did today. They were chasing the officials into the tunnel and physically attacked them. Yes if you watch Copa Libertadores you would just call it "normal post-match interaction", but thats not really a thing in Europe.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
2009 semifinal? I just checked the footage. Ballack had a brief word with the ref after the match and then turned around and left. Drogba was easily the most agitated Chelsea player and the one who had to be held back.

And for Müller you cant even think of a match..and saying something to the ref isnt what the Uruguayans did today. They were chasing the officials into the tunnel and physically attacked them. Yes if you watch Copa Libertadores you would just call it "normal post-match interaction", but thats not really a thing in Europe.
Brief word

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Harassing the ref total cool as long as it’s within the 90 mins… good to know
There's a difference between an emotional reaction in the moment, and going back to the situation several minutes later. The latter would be a much more deliberate act. In normal circumstances one would expect the players to have cooled down in the interim and that's exactly what happened with Ballack. As outraged as he was in the moment, after the match he was much calmer and controlled.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
There's a difference between an emotional reaction in the moment, and going back to the situation several minutes later. The latter would be a much more deliberate act. In normal circumstances one would expect the players to have cooled down in the interim and that's exactly what happened with Ballack. As outraged as he was in the moment, after the match he was much calmer and controlled.
And it wasn’t an emotional reaction from Uruguay? As usual your showing your ass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad