GWT: World Cup - Group G (Brazil and Switzerland Advance)

Who Advances?

• Brazil

Votes: 45 97.8%
  • Switzerland

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • Cameroon

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Serbia

Votes: 17 37.0%

• Total voters

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I didn’t realize that actually happened before, but that was even a six group tournament, compared to the eight now

I wonder if we'll ever see a group stage where no team goes 0-3.*

Qatar and Canada sadly fit the bill this time around, and with 48 teams in 2026 it'll probably happen again.

*Just did a deep dive on Google, and apparently this hasn't happened since 1958. :laugh:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Did Hwang get a yellow for his celebration as well?

I don't see the harm in it, how could you NOT be pumped scoring a huge goal like that. :laugh:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Serbia vs Kosovo West is always going to have some chaotic scenes. Both sides are likely talking trash near nonstop to each other. Obviously the non-concerned Swiss guys can stay out of it, and I'm sure some of them do.
The weird thing is that some of those Balkans players on Suisse are Albanians and I don't know what country so far south has an issue with the Serbs. Whatever the case, that was like watching rugby tonight.

What's with all the extra time as well? Seems like the average amount is 7 minutes and nothing less.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The weird thing is that some of those Balkans players on Suisse are Albanians and I don't know what country so far south has an issue with the Serbs. Whatever the case, that was like watching rugby tonight.

What's with all the extra time as well? Seems like the average amount is 7 minutes and nothing less.
???

The conflict in Kosovo is between Albanians and Serbs living there and came close to military hostilities just recently. There was a whole war between Serbia and Albanian separatists backed by NATO in 1999 which led to the creation of an independent Albanian-run Kosovo. There's arguably more beef between Serbs and Albanians than any other Balkans ethnicities.

Reactions: luiginb

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
???

The conflict in Kosovo is between Albanians and Serbs living there and came close to military hostilities just recently. There was a whole war between Serbia and Albanian separatists backed by NATO in 1999 which led to the creation of an independent Albanian-run Kosovo. There's arguably more beef between Serbs and Albanians than any other Balkans ethnicities.
Interesting did not know that. I originally thought it was Serbia having beef with Croatia and the whole independence war, then Kosovo due to ethnic reasons wanted independence from Serbia and you'd throw some Bosnia separates around the same time as well. Is this the reason why so many Albanians moved to the Northeast USA around this same time?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Interesting did not know that. I originally thought it was Serbia having beef with Croatia and the whole independence war, then Kosovo due to ethnic reasons wanted independence from Serbia and you'd throw some Bosnia separates around the same time as well. Is this the reason why so many Albanians moved to the Northeast USA around this same time?
Probably. There's a huge Balkans diaspora in the U.S., Canada, Western Europe all stemming from the Yugoslav Wars of the 90s...Serbs, Croats, Bosnians, Albanians. The wars created a lot of refugees from all those peoples. And honestly, there's few more toxic things than the relationships between those different groups even and perhaps especially in exile, as it seems like they certainly hang on to their grudges and resentments. (See also the controversy surrounding the Serbian-Canadian goalkeeper).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad