GWT: World Cup - Group D (France and Australia Advance)

Who Advances?

• France

Votes: 45 95.7%
  • Denmark

Votes: 38 80.9%
  • Australia

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Tunisia

Votes: 4 8.5%

• Total voters

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Not gonna pretend to be suprised.

Said 2 months ago, we would crash and burn.

We dont do well at WC group games…

Worst half I have seen Denmark play under Hjulmand.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Skov needs to come out, he's been invisible. And they have the Eintracht kid on the bench.
Lol the whole team has sucked.

Look weirdly heavy and slow.

Think all the media buzz around one love, and qatar has gotten to them.

Hjulmand even yelled at a few journos yesterday, he is normally mr. Calm.

Oberyn Martell

Dec 26, 2018
Lol the whole team has sucked.

Look weirdly heavy and slow.

Think all the media buzz around one love, and qatar has gotten to them.

Hjulmand even yelled at a few journos yesterday, he is normally mr. Calm.
Same in Germany. Would be really suprised if we somehow win tomorrow. Especially the DFB f***ed it up and now the players are in focus.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Same in Germany. Would be really suprised if we somehow win tomorrow. Especially the DFB f***ed it up and now the players are in focus.

Agreed - I've never had lower expectations going into a tournament in my lifetime.

Not to mention, the tournament is being lambasted back home because of Qatar's record and there are active boycotts against it at pubs and in homes across the country.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
And, from a soccer perspective, part of UAFA
Does any of that make them rivals? Are all European countries which speak Romance languages rivals of each other? I mean there's what a ton of Arabic nations, right? Are they all rivals? I just have never heard of Tunisia caring about Saudi Arabia in particular, either in football or otherwise. I could be wrong, but is there any evidence of a rivalry beyond "They're Arabs"?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Could have easily been a penalty

Does any of that make them rivals? Are all European countries which speak Romance languages rivals of each other? I mean there's what a ton of Arabic nations, right? Are they all rivals? I just have never heard of Tunisia caring about Saudi Arabia in particular, either in football or otherwise. I could be wrong, but is there any evidence of a rivalry beyond "They're Arabs"?
Regional rival doesn't mean you're like cutthroat rivals. It would be like describing Costa Rica and USA as regional rivals. If Costa Rica does well, I'll be happy as an American. It's different than actual rivals because I always want Mexico to lose.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Agreed - I've never had lower expectations going into a tournament in my lifetime.

Not to mention, the tournament is being lambasted back home because of Qatar's record and there are active boycotts against it at pubs and in homes across the country.

I get why people feel this way about our NT a this tourney. But I can't be anything but hyped after the way we played in qualifying.

Sure the NL results were disappointing, but the players openly talked about those matches being friendlies in interviews before the matches were even played...so regardless of how any of us feel about the NL, we know that the players weren't giving those games 100% like they did in qualifiers and should tomorrow.

As long as we stay humble and play as hard as we did in qualifying, I feel similar to how I did in 2010. When the expectation to be a good team had returned, but the expectation of being a top team wasn't there again yet since so much of our youth hadn't yet proven itself for the NT on the biggest stage.

We didn't win in 2010...but I'll go to my grave arguing that we would have if only Mesut had gone down at the end of the first half against spain; when he was fouled in the box, but didn't get the call because he tried to fight through the obvious foul.

If he had just gone down and gotten us the pen to take a 1-0 lead into half-time, with how lethal our counter-attacking play was in 2010, we'd have stopped Spain's historic run and been deserved favorites against the dutch in the final.

Reactions: NyQuil

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm surprised people thought Denmark would walk over Tunisia

I wouldn't say I expected a walk, but I did think that Tunisia looked weaker on paper than they did last time around...so I thought the Danes would scrape out a 1-0 and was surprised by how energetic & cohesive the tunisians were.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think Denmark probably were the better team for much of the 2nd half. Tunisia struggled with keeping possession, which opened them up, but Denmark never got a good finish.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I wouldn't say I expected a walk, but I did think that Tunisia looked weaker on paper than they did last time around...so I thought the Danes would scrape out a 1-0 and was surprised by how energetic & cohesive the tunisians were.
To be fair I’ve had the opportunity to watch Tunisia play during the qualifiers so I can see why most people are not familiar with them

BUT I can tell you they are prone to mental mistakes as well and they will eventually screw something up in one of their next 2 matches

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad