GWT: World Cup - Group C (Poland and Argentina Advance)

Who Advances?

• Argentina

Votes: 63 94.0%
  • Poland

Votes: 32 47.8%
  • Mexico

Votes: 30 44.8%
  • Saudi Arabia

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's like we said when the Euros and Copa America were on at the same time last summer. You notice some of these European teams play and they're extremely unambitious while teams from elsewhere may not be as talented but they play with a whole lot more ambition. But in this tournament it appears that middle tier European teams are playing more negatively and getting ruthlessly punished for it by teams from everywhere else in the world (not just SA).
The European teams do a lot better when the tournament is in Europe. South American does better on the other continents

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Some european teams do alright in SA :naughty:

...and the only tourney in africa was won by a european team...
It’s not for everyone!

Right but either way, those are the exceptions, not the rules

Uruguay - won in Uruguay and Brazil

Italy - won in Italy, France, Spain and Germany

Germany - won in Switzerland, Germany, Italy and Brazil

Brazil - won in Sweden, Chile, Mexico, USA and Japan

England - won in England

Argentina - won in Argentina and Mexico

France - won in France and Russia

Spain - won in South Africa

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No more than it's an exception for American teams to win outside of the Americas ('58 & '02) :dunno:
Correct that’s the point.

Germany and Spain are the only European team to win a World Cup in a continent besides Europe. Each did it once. It’s rare. South America team hasn’t won in Europe since the one time Pele did it

Of course this World Cup isn’t really comparable to any of the others each but I believe a lot of the “smart” more was on Argentina or Brazil.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think past performance doesn't matter as much because it seems like recently European NT coaches are introducing too much structure into their team. That influence is bleeding into performance and causing a lack of creativity and goals. Uruguay is doing it too so it's not just Europe, but there are more European teams and it's more noticeable as a result.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
It's like we said when the Euros and Copa America were on at the same time last summer. You notice some of these European teams play and they're extremely unambitious while teams from elsewhere may not be as talented but they play with a whole lot more ambition. But in this tournament it appears that middle tier European teams are playing more negatively and getting ruthlessly punished for it by teams from everywhere else in the world (not just SA).

I remember last summer how much people thought European teams were better because they looked more structure vs SA who looked like playing street football. The only european teams that have looked good so far are France and Spain.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think past performance doesn't matter as much because it seems like recently European NT coaches are introducing too much structure into their team. That influence is bleeding into performance and causing a lack of creativity and goals. Uruguay is doing it too so it's not just Europe, but there are more European teams and it's more noticeable as a result.
I think this is fair too. Interesting to see how it’s evolved . The Uruguay has never managed in Europe, but did have a career in La Liga.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Iran, Qatar and Wales three worst

Denmark, Poland and Uruguay were the three that did the least with their talent.

Belgium belongs in a category of their own
Belgium is a win away from the 2nd round and everyone'll forget their performances if they go through.

Denmark is my biggest disappointment because they are a serious team with, yes, limited offensive talent, but they've been so good last 4 years that the lack of pure offensive talent was offset by organization, clever play, etc.
They didn't just get to the semis of the EUROs cause of a good draw, they were beating teams left and right in the last 4 years, including just beating France twice in the Nations League.
However, how they played in the WC... They deserve to be eliminated. It was absolutely dire football.

Poland and Uruguay... For starters, SA teams outside of BRA and ARG are the most mediocre they've been in a while. Gone is the balanced, gutsy Uruguayan side (or past it), Chilean Golden Generation is done, each nation has some top talent, but really, none of them has a "very good" generation right now. I would say on paper Colombia probably has the most talent, but they didn't even make it.
I had Uruguay pegged as a dark horse, and they still might go through, but really, it's Nunez/Valverde/Bentacur/Gimenez and the rest are just... "there"... Either former greats past it now, or just really average players.

Poland is a limited team, always has been, and there's a reason why they always play this hard-to-watch football even if they have on of the greatest strikers of the last 20-30 years on the team... outside of Zielinski, the rest are just... Not good.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Mexico going out on fair play would have been oh so fitting after the disaster that was their home crowd during the qualifiers. First getting a 2 game ban on fans in the stands for their home games after they wouldn't stop it with homophobic chants, only to have it overturned so they were allowed fans for the 2nd of those games only to have that crowd be so awful against Canada they got a further 2 game ban. Travelling Mexico fans were also warned at halftime in the road game against Canada in Canada for the same thing.

I know fair play is based on cards given to the players on the field and not their fans, but it would have been oh so fitting. Oh well.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Group C MVP = Szczesny?
World Cup MVP for me so far, and the only reason Poland isn't last with 0 points.

My team of the group:

Szczesny

Jorge Sanchez (mostly because I had to pick one RB)
Otamendi
Montes
Acuna (mostly because I had to pick one LB)

Enzo
MacAllister
Edson Alvarez

di Maria
Messi
al Dawsari

HM: al Owais, Lewandowski, Chavez, Martin, Lozano, Zielinski, Kanno, Julian Alvarez, Lisandro

I was wondering why the hell he got MotM; no goals, no assists, blew that penalty but he made HISTORY:laugh:
He wasn't even the best player on his team. Motm between Szczesny and MacAllister for me.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
World Cup MVP for me so far, and the only reason Poland isn't last with 0 points.

My team of the group:

Szczesny

Jorge Sanchez (mostly because I had to pick one RB)
Otamendi
Montes
Acuna (mostly because I had to pick one LB)

Enzo
MacAllister
Edson Alvarez

di Maria
Messi
al Dawsari

HM: al Owais, Lewandowski, Chavez, Martin, Lozano, Zielinski, Kanno, Julian Alvarez, Lisandro

He wasn't even the best player on his team. Motm between Szczesny and MacAllister for me.
This is better than what I would have done. You’ve got this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad