World Cup fever in Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

moosejaw

Apr 27, 2004
Dark Metamorphosis said:
i don't know anyone personally who wouldn't know something like that. where do you get this information that americans don't know where canada is?

two of my favourite quotes from American citizens to yours truly...both in FLA I believe...
1) "where you from?" Canada... "How did you get HERE???"(in shock) ..uhhh airplane
2) I am from near Toronto, Canada..." Hey is that anywhere near Ontario???"

classic... :lol

AgentOrange*

moosejaw said:
two of my favourite quotes from American citizens to yours truly...both in FLA I believe...
1) "where you from?" Canada... "How did you get HERE???"(in shock) ..uhhh airplane
2) I am from near Toronto, Canada..." Hey is that anywhere near Ontario???"

classic... :lol

A few years back I was asked for directions to a store in some mall in Florida. I said "I dont know, I'm from Canada", and the person replied "That's up near Russia right?" :lol

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
AgentOrange said:
A few years back I was asked for directions to a store in some mall in Florida. I said "I dont know, I'm from Canada", and the person replied "That's up near Russia right?" :lol
It's not too far from russia though.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Tinke said:
Sorry... But I can't help it :lol
Holly cow, do you really find that so funny? I mean if someone said that Canada was near Cambodia, I'd have a grin but geez it's not the end of the world there. I guess Canadians are more used to humour than others. :dunno:

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Canuck21t said:
Holly cow, do you really find that so funny? I mean if someone said that Canada was near Cambodia, I'd have a grin but geez it's not the end of the world there. I guess Canadians are more used to humour than others. :dunno:
It's an old joke that still makes most finns laugh. If a foreigner doesn't know where Finland is located in the map or let's say some other country like Netherlands. I guess that is because we Finns have very high education level when it comes to geography. I don't mean that people in North America has low education, I just mean that in some levels we have high education level.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Padawan said:
It's an old joke that still makes most finns laugh. If a foreigner doesn't know where Finland is located in the map or let's say some other country like Netherlands. I guess that is because we Finns have very high education level when it comes to geography. I don't mean that people in North America has low education, I just mean that in some levels we have high education level.
Yeah but it's only funny when the person you're laughing with (or rather at) was really serious. But when the person (me) was deliberately giving a wrong answer, would that still be so funny?

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
Canuck21t said:
Yeah but it's only funny when the person you're laughing with (or rather at) was really serious. But when the person (me) was deliberately giving a wrong answer, would that still be so funny?
Might be. It's still a matter of one's opinion. One can take it as a joke and laugh because he/she thinks it's funny or take it as the other meant it seriously and laugh at him/her.

Tinke

Sep 14, 2004
Canuck21t said:

Well now you know how to make a Finn laugh... ;)

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
chicpea said:
Perhaps, but America is closer.
That's why I chose to use the words "not far" and "though" instead of saying "It is near Russia".
Simple rethorics that should make it easy to understand how I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad