World Cup fever in Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I'm glad that Finland made it to the final. The two countries in which this championships means the most are Canada and Finland. They are the only countries in the world where hockey is number 1. (it is my understanding that hockey is number 2 in Russia, Sweden, Czech, and Slovakia)

Koivu's winning goal against the US is being touted as the biggest goal in Finnish hockey history, for now. Maybe it will be different after Tueday night's game.

I'll be cheering for Canada but I won't have a big problem losing to a hockey nation like Finland.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Finland, a country of five million people, had never beaten the U.S. in a World Cup or Canada Cup before Friday's 2-1 victory over the Americans in St. Paul, Minn.

Referring to the Americans' victory at the 1980 Olympic Games, Ilta-Sanomat said Finland had already performed a miracle at this World Cup.

``Stunning! Unbelievable! Marvellous!'' the newspaper crowed.

``We run out of adjectives when reporting Finland's achievements at the hockey World Cup. There's only one game left - the final - and Finland's still in. Yes, in the highest calibre hockey tournament with the world's best players,'' Ilta-Sanomat wrote.

``The Finnish Lions are now doing something that we have never achieved. Not even got close.''

The Iltalehti tabloid featured a full-page photo of Montreal Canadiens forward Saku Koivu on the cover of its 16-page sports supplement Monday with half of the pages devoted to the World Cup.

The headline read: Koivu shot in the most important goal in Finnish hockey history.

``This was the greatest achievement in Finnish ice hockey through time immemorial,'' forward Teemu Selanne was quoted as saying. ``Being world champions in 1995 was a major achievement as was the bronze (medal) in Nagano.

``But this (victory over the U.S.) supersedes both of those. It's the World Cup and all the best players are there.''

http://www.tsn.ca/world_cup_hockey/news_story.asp?id=98589

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I wouldn't be surprised if the Finns were really excited before the tourney. Even I, and at least two other Canadians here at HFBoards, went on record before the tourney as picking Finland to have the best chance to win if Canada doesn't.

The Finn line-up for this tourney was ripe for success. They brought all the tools.

Rob said:
``Being world champions in 1995 was a major achievement as was the bronze (medal) in Nagano.
I remember at the 2002 Games hearing a CBC broadcaster say that Finland was the only nation to win two Olympic medals in ice hockey in the nineties (bronze, twice).

And that was with rosters filled mostly with non-NHLers. Those days are over for Finnish hockey.

(As I predicted in August: A Canada 4 Finland 1 Final. Between the two best teams in the tourney. With Sakic or Kiprusoff as MVP. My mantra never changes because this tourney has gone totally as expected by some of us.)

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
SUOMI!!!!!!!!!!!

Err, I mean, Go Canada! :)

I'm sure I'll develop a hate for the Finnish team between 7PM and whenever the game ends, but when it's over I'll love em again :)

Schenn02

Dec 7, 2003
abroad
Visit site
Wow thats amazing. In 24 hours, I think we shall have a good idea of who will be winning the game. May the best team win..err the team with the best goaltender win lol. GO TEAM CANADA!!

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
I hope the Swedish players paid close attention to the way Finland has played in the tournament so far. They might learn a thing or two...

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
VanIslander said:
I remember at the 2002 Games hearing a CBC broadcaster say that Finland was the only nation to win two Olympic medals in ice hockey in the nineties (bronze, twice).

And that was with rosters filled mostly with non-NHLers. Those days are over for Finnish hockey.
[/COLOR]

That CBC broadcaster was definitely wrong, since Canada won silver in 1992 (led by Lindros and Burke, but losing to the CIS) and 1994 (led by Kariya and Nedved, when Forsberg scored the shootout winner and Kariya missed).

That's just the top of my head, there could have been another country.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
I'm glad to see this happen to Finland, they are a very passionate hockey nation that many people have not been taking seriously over the past while. Props to Finalnd.

Having said that, GO CANADA! ;)

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
sonnytheman said:
That CBC broadcaster was definitely wrong.
Opps, I just remembered it a little wrong. He must have said Finland was the only nation to win medals in ice hockey in the last two Olympics heading into Salt Lake. In 1994 it was Sweden, Canada, Finland and in 1998 it was the Czech Rep., Russia, Finland.

Anyways, the point is that Finland has done alright over the last decade ("They ain't no Germany"), and they are almost ripe for greatness. Almost. (Canada 4-1 in the Final here we come! :jump: )

Rocky Saginuts

Jul 21, 2004
Hamildump, Ontario
Wow, talk about a mutual admiration society - not enough bad blood in this game to make it compelling.

We need to develop a healthy hate-on. What happened to the good ole days when we'd call the Finns a bunch'a visor wearin' figure skatin' whiners? :cry: Eh?

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
mpdman said:
Wow, talk about a mutual admiration society - not enough bad blood in this game to make it compelling.

We need to develop a healthy hate-on. What happened to the good ole days when we'd call the Finns a bunch'a visor wearin' figure skatin' whiners? :cry: Eh?
Yeah but that would be very hypocritical because my favorite player, Joe Sakic, wears a visor.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
mpdman said:
What happened to the good ole days when we'd call the Finns a bunch'a visor wearin' figure skatin' whiners? :cry: Eh?
Those were mostly directed toward Swedes.

The Don Cherry characterizations of Europeans as soft and scared of contact never applied to Kurri, Tikkanen, and that 30-goal NHL scorer Petri Skriko (who was traded to Boston for the Peca draft pick).

Finns play a style of hockey more like Canadians than like Swedes or Russians.

With this tourney, finally, the "European" label is being thrown out the window.

Arne

Aug 30, 2004
Kotka, Finland
Jussi said:
Which no North American can spell correctly. :lol

Yeah, Too many Selane's and Ninnima's. I think only one they get always right is Koivu. But you know... everytime you hear somebody say a finnish name ****ed up something great has happened.

High flyin' Habs*

Ill be very happy if Canada wins but at the same time i'll be very sad for Koivu.

Mr. Penguin

Aug 30, 2004
Finland
Rob said:
I'm glad that Finland made it to the final. The two countries in which this championships means the most are Canada and Finland. They are the only countries in the world where hockey is number 1. (it is my understanding that hockey is number 2 in Russia, Sweden, Czech, and Slovakia)

Hmm... I'd say that hockey is number 1 in Slovakia, and Sweden is a hockey crazy nation also... well not anymore. :D

Anyways, one of the best things in Finland is definitely the fact that hockey is the number one sport here. It's easy to be a hockey lover since many of my friends are really excited about this tournament and this final. Well I guess almost everyone in Finland is excited about the final. Unfortunately the game starts 2 am our time so only real hockey freaks will be able to watch the game... :shakehead
But I still expect the ratings to be pretty high, especially in Canada. But I doubt the game will get as high ratings in Canada as the CAN-USA final in Salt Lake City, or what you Canadians think? Are everyone in canada going to watch this game? :)

High flyin' Habs*

Mr. Penguin said:
Hmm... I'd say that hockey is number 1 in Slovakia, and Sweden is a hockey crazy nation also... well not anymore. :D

I would say that any country in europe who has a natl. soccer team (except for Finland where hockey really is #1) has hockey as its #2 sport.

SChan*

swedens nr1 sport is hockey. period.

wtf where did all my countrymen go :dunno:

Pavel

Mar 1, 2004
Houston
I'm just looking forward to a good game. This will be the last one we see with NHL'ers for a while. An overtime game winner by Lemieux would be fine with me.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Mr. Penguin said:
But I doubt the game will get as high ratings in Canada as the CAN-USA final in Salt Lake City, or what you Canadians think? Are everyone in canada going to watch this game? :)

nah, i doubt it'l be rated as high. for the olympic final EVERYONE watched. my mom, my grandma, everyone. there was litterally nobody on the street. just the situation with so much national pride on the line 2002.

for this year, i think all the sports fans will be watching, but i'm sure my mom and grandma will have better things to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad