World Cup: World Cup 2026 - Pre Tournament Thread

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Makes sense to not have the final in Dallas. There is 0 public transportation to and from the stadium. It's in the middle of nowhere basically.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Fan favorite darts player won his first major tournament after 16 years and did a Messi. LOL

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-newsifier.ams3.digitaloceanspaces.com%2Fdartsnews.com%2Fimages%2F2024-02%2Fsbtrophy.png

Stephen Bunting recreates Lionel Messi's iconic bedroom snap

Was 4-22 against Van Gerwin, sure fire HOF'er. They won their first tournament the same year. Van Gerwin has won over 40 majors and this was Bunting's first.

• Haha
Reactions: Power Man

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Pre-WC thread already?

One headache at a time for this Algerian please

Canada better get their shit together, because it will be a very humiliating experience if they do not.

Buzz should be at an all-time high, instead we are dealing with amateur crap is if it were still 2012.
They will, because there are no games in Montreal

All I want from this WC is for Canada to get a first ever point.... Is that too much to ask?
They almost did in 86 vs France

But a young Jean-Pierre Papin made sure it didn't happen lol

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I liked Jeremy Brett better, he was more eccentric, befitting the character more. But it might be because of what was acceptable in film in each actor's time and age. Brett was probably allowed more leeway in that regard.
Those were more faithful to the books for sure. He was good but I guess he just couldn't replace my first Sherlock. :laugh:

Reactions: gary69

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
FIFA logically has divided the games into regions except for Canada’s group which will have to play in Toronto and Vancouver I guess. Mexico and Canada essentially get nothing after the R32. NY/NJ most logical choice for final strictly looking at time zone and public transportation factors. But with no roof, played in mid afternoon in July could be played in brutally hot/humid conditions

Can’t believe KC and Foxborough got QF matches, two outdated NFL stadiums with Foxborough being in middle of nowhere 40 mins away (minimum!) from Boston. US playing twice at same venue is a bit weird as well but I’m sure they had some say

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Still bitter that Montreal (the city in Canada that would be the most historically/culturally relevant to hold WC matches) are stuck with that piece of shit Olympic Stadium and therefore has nothing to hold matches.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Still bitter that Montreal (the city in Canada that would be the most historically/culturally relevant to hold WC matches) are stuck with that piece of shit Olympic Stadium and therefore has nothing to hold matches.
Stadium was a factor, but I wouldn’t be surprised if FIFA didn’t want to deal with the french language police

Also we have 2 seasons here, Winter and construction

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Sounds like they are putting upwards of 750 million into renovating the roof.... Feels like a missed opportunity to use that money to make more meaningful improvement.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Sounds like they are putting upwards of 750 million into renovating the roof.... Feels like a missed opportunity to use that money to make more meaningful improvement.

I'll just copy what I wrote somewhere else about that one:

It's closing down for 4 years starting this summer.

They refuse to give up on it. They say they want to revitalize the eastern end of the city and while it's somewhat gentrifying, it's still nowhere near happening enough that the Olympic Stadium will become a hub. Nor is there any sort of consistent tenant on the horizon.

They mention Taylor Swift and Beyonce. Seriously. How many times are you going to get them in there (years down the road) to justify the cost?

There's cutesy stuff around it but I don't think anywhere near enough to justify that sort of cash. But both the province and the city refuse to give up on it. I do get the point that 2 billion to tear it down (+ the effect it has on the subway station it houses, which does get a lot of traffic) is considerable.

You'd almost rather they spend this on somewhere downtown (if possible) which would probably get them an MLB team back. You know what would have been cool? Having the Olympic Stadium worthy of hosting World Cup matches instead of having them in f***ing Edmonton as opposed to Montreal, where there's a real historical culture for it.

Happy to hear that Plante wants to spend a billion over 10 years on downtown though. An area like the Gay Village and its surroundings could really use the influx. Its become such a piece of shit area.

Stadium was a factor, but I wouldn’t be surprised if FIFA didn’t want to deal with the french language police

Also we have 2 seasons here, Winter and construction

I think it's completely stadium related. Not sure what the language laws could really do.

Can you imagine having Montreal's Italians, Greeks, Africans, Portuguese, French, Latinos, etc. flooding the city for matches? Man, it would have been glorious.

Entire neighborhoods would have been rocking. f*** the stadium itself!

Reactions: robertmac43

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Can you imagine having Montreal's Italians, Greeks, Africans, Portuguese, French, Latinos, etc. flooding the city for matches? Man, it would have been glorious.

I won't have to imagine when I'm hanging out in 2026 here in Toronto with all those same communities but also many more that Montreal don't have ;)

Reactions: al secord

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I won't have to imagine when I'm hanging out in 2026 here in Toronto with all those same communities but also many more that Montreal don't have ;)

Doesn't have that Montreal drip tho ;)

But yeah, Toronto is going to be a hell of a place too. I just find it's a shame that Montreal's history won't be rocking in there too.

I don't mean to throw shade to a place like Edmonton. It's awesome for the people there too. It's just not the same.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I'll just copy what I wrote somewhere else about that one:

It's closing down for 4 years starting this summer.

They refuse to give up on it. They say they want to revitalize the eastern end of the city and while it's somewhat gentrifying, it's still nowhere near happening enough that the Olympic Stadium will become a hub. Nor is there any sort of consistent tenant on the horizon.

They mention Taylor Swift and Beyonce. Seriously. How many times are you going to get them in there (years down the road) to justify the cost?

There's cutesy stuff around it but I don't think anywhere near enough to justify that sort of cash. But both the province and the city refuse to give up on it. I do get the point that 2 billion to tear it down (+ the effect it has on the subway station it houses, which does get a lot of traffic) is considerable.

You'd almost rather they spend this on somewhere downtown (if possible) which would probably get them an MLB team back. You know what would have been cool? Having the Olympic Stadium worthy of hosting World Cup matches instead of having them in f***ing Edmonton as opposed to Montreal, where there's a real historical culture for it.

Happy to hear that Plante wants to spend a billion over 10 years on downtown though. An area like the Gay Village and its surroundings could really use the influx. Its become such a piece of shit area.

I think it's completely stadium related. Not sure what the language laws could really do.

Every communication, PA, every banner , would hsve to be in both french and english, with written french being X % larger than the english vereion

It can be a PITA in large events

The quebec government is annpying with that sort of thing, and Îm Francophone
Those backwards clowns are pulling stats out of their asses claiming the french language is disappearing…aaah fear mongering

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

Both can be true. Toronto will be hyped as well, but Montreal would definitely bring a different vibe to the table. The city's own fault though really :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad