Pre-Game Talk: World Cup 2014 in Brazil: Predictions

arshonagon

Nov 16, 2009
Victoria, BC
Being Italian, I have to say Italy, its part of the obligations. But honestly I think its between Germany and Spain. Bundesliga is just putting out some great soccer over the course of the last 4 years, I think this will reflect on the national team. Even though these Bundesliga teams that are having success aren't all comprised of German nationals, it makes the whole league more competitive which I think makes the national players better. My two cents anyways.

The two top teams also have the majority of the German national team members playing on them. Spain is similar with most of their players on Real Madrid and Barcelona.

This gives them a big advantage over other teams IMO. Their chemistry usually shows through early.

brownbello

May 6, 2009
Powell River
The two top teams also have the majority of the German national team members playing on them. Spain is similar with most of their players on Real Madrid and Barcelona.

This gives them a big advantage over other teams IMO. Their chemistry usually shows through early.

Fantastic point! And I can't remember a single world cup where Germany ever came out disorganized. Really a great soccer organization.

Maticus

Nov 19, 2009
Jacksonville
My heart is with England, my brain is with Germany. I don't mind the German's so wouldn't mind if they took it...just not at the expense of England that is. Either way I'm ****ing pumped. World cup>any other sports event.
This, always been cheering for England and Germany. I really hope Spain doesn't win a consecutive world cup.

Wang Gretzky

Nov 8, 2013
Almost everytime the WC is in SA a team from SA wins it so ill go with Brazil, with the Darkhorse being Uruguay and Germany,Belgium from Europe.

croatNUCKS

Apr 14, 2012
Zagabria
Ozil has been **** for Arsenal this season. One would hope he can it around at the WC.

No European team has won a WC outside of Europe. Germany has the best shot.

I think the pressure will get too much for Brazil and thus think Argentina or even Chile have a better shot.

Belgium is the big-time dark-horse and will either use the tourney as a learning experience or be too naïve and win the whole thing.

Spain 2010.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I will be pulling for England, but anyone who thinks Brazil won't win on their home soil doesn't know football very well.

lol give me a break. If it were only that easy.

There is no definitive favourite this time round and thus is what makes it especially exciting.

No European team has won in SA but Spain is still he defending champs, the Germans are extremely strong and the Belgians could surprise.

The Argies are always tough, Uruguay has crazy firepower and Chile will be a tough team to beat.

Many will pull for Brazil but the weight of a nation might be too much to bare.

Gonna be fantastic and can't wait.

arsmaster*

Spain are trending down.

I think we'll see Germany and Brazil in the final 4. It's really early to handicap the whole tournament because of injuries.

Belgium has a fantastic team on paper, and Colombia is a dark horse for me, especially if Falcao can come back.
\
*edit* Surprised to see the Portugal love, they qualified by the skin of their teeth. I don't think one player can win a world cup, and Portugal isn't exactly producing all that many wins leading up to the tournament, I have no clue how anyone can think they're favourites to win.

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
I am guessing Brazil... looked great in the Confederations Cup and their young team could only have improved since then.

Germany could also do it, that midfield of Reus, Kroos, Ozil, Gotze, Khedira, Bender, Schweinsteiger, Muller, Schurrle etc... is incredible. The depth and attacking qualities in all of them make them arguably one of the best midfields in history. They don't necessarily have a top class striker at the moment but who needs that when you have that midfield haha (and Gomez and Klose are no slouches at scoring).

They also have a great defense and top goalkeeping. Their team really has to be better than in 2010, and they finished third then.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Winner winner.

Anyone picking all these Euro teams don't know their WC history. A Euro team winning in Brazil would be seriously unprecedented.

Decisions at the margin...

The truth is that Brazil is in a transitional phase and will probably be taken out by a team like Germany or Spain; it'll take a LOT of home cooking or some Scolari magic for them to win it all. In terms of Argentina, they won't let them win in Brazil - period. I'd say Uruguay has the best chance out of the non-Euro teams.

BlueNuck

Nov 1, 2011
Germany should take it. Ozil has been ***** this season for the Arse, but they are still strong. I really like Belgium. Very good team. The Question will be if they can all come together and deal with the pressure.

If Fifa have anything to do with it(wink wink) then Brazil will win this thing.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
got to take into account that the tournament is being played in south america and not europe....this is a massive advantage for both brazil and argentina

argentina has disappointed in recent world cups but with messi at his peak i think he pulls a maradona and leads that nation to victory...they're got a weak group to allow them to experiment and get ready for the knockout stage as well

darkhorse team for me would be another south american team, uruguay, who are pretty dangerous up front with luis suarez and cavani (although they have to get past england and italy in the group stage)

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I am guessing Brazil... looked great in the Confederations Cup and their young team could only have improved since then.

Germany could also do it, that midfield of Reus, Kroos, Ozil, Gotze, Khedira, Bender, Schweinsteiger, Muller, Schurrle etc... is incredible. The depth and attacking qualities in all of them make them arguably one of the best midfields in history. They don't necessarily have a top class striker at the moment but who needs that when you have that midfield haha (and Gomez and Klose are no slouches at scoring).

They also have a great defense and top goalkeeping. Their team really has to be better than in 2010, and they finished third then.

Reus and Bender can play forward too right?

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
Reus and Bender can play forward too right?

I think Muller, Reus, and Schurrle can play some form of forward, while Gotze can play just behind the striker.

Reus is more of a wide man.

I believe Bender is more of a defensive minded midfielder, although there are two of them.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Bayern destroyed Barca last year, all be it Messi was injured.

Does Germany have another strong Team as well as Bayern? I'm still picking Spain I don't think any teams can keep up with their pace when they mean business

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
If Germany faces Italy at any point....then Brazil or Spain takes it.

If Germany doesn't face Italy, then they are sure favorites in my eyes.

Germany hasn't beaten Italy in 18 years (even after being favorites in 2006 WC and 2012 EC), hence why I say this.

How Ya Drouin

12/08/13 GM GamesRIP
Apr 24, 2013
Ontario
Does Germany have another strong Team as well as Bayern? I'm still picking Spain I don't think any teams can keep up with their pace when they mean business

Germany also has Borussia Dortmund, although many of their top players are being stolen away by Bayern such as Gotze and Lewandowski (polish, joining Bayern this summer). They do have other good German players like Mats Hummels, Marco Reus, Sven Bender, and Ilkay Gundogan.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I am and always cheering for Italy. With Pirlo still running the midfield, anything is possible. Hopefully Rossi recovers as he had been dynamite before his injury. Balotelli is well, Balotelli and when he's actually focused, he is unstoppable. There's actually quite a few young stikers like Immobile and Berardi that could step in and score. And defensively we're always sound.

I think though Brazil will take it on their home soil.

Panj

Mar 27, 2013
After Yuna Kim getting robbed. All I care about is the S. Korea vs Russia game.

1: Germany
2: Spain
3: Portugal
4: Croatia cause why not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad