Pre-Game Talk: World Cup 2014 in Brazil: Predictions

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Not sure how many of you follow soccer around here, Spain won me over in 2008 Euro Cup when I started to follow the sport. I do not follow it like I follow hockey but I definitely Cheer for Spain.

Any of you more knowledgable Soccer fans Can share your picks for the World Cup Champs this year

My picks are Spain, Brazil and Portugal.

Jefe88

Jun 20, 2012
Port Coquitlam
I think Argentina has a really good chance with the best player in the world and an easy bracket. If they win the group, the quarterfinals should be against the Swiss/French/Ecuador and the semis vs Portugal/Ghana/USA

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I think Spain's reign is over.

Germany will win it

I have heard a lot of people say this but what is the reason for it? Spain was so dominant the last World Cup, no team could even compete with them except Portugal gave them maybe the best run for their money. They are just so fast as unit perfect passing everyone is in sync, I have yet to see another team pass the ball like the Spaniards do... Really looking forward to seeing Brazil play.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
With Fernando and William Carvalho, Portugal goes from barely making it out of the group to Real darkhorse contenders.

Now if only Bento has the balls to call up one of the plethora of their young midfield stars

Marcos Lopes= Manchester City
Joao Carlos= Liverpool
Bruno Fernandes= Udinese
Rafa- Braga
Joao Mario= Sporting

The first 2 recently had their first first team appearances, while Bruno Fernandes has been regularly starting for Udinese. The latter 2 have been on fire the past month or so.

Fernando is a beast, one of the best holding midfielders on the continent, the one player Porto has rejected multimillion dollar bids for while letting Moutinho, Guarin, etc go. You can replace those type of players, but a DM with all the attributes Fernando has (quick, strong, great with the ball at his feet, fantastic vision and outlet, great skill) is insanely hard to replace..thus keeping him unless the bid blows them away. They've rejected Inter and Juventus two years in a row.

William Carvalho is basically Sportings best break through player since C Ronaldo/Nani

Another great CM

Meireles and his tattooed ass gets finally stapled to the bench, as does Veloso and his weak presence in shielding the back 4 and overall ability to impose himself on a game.

Huge upgrades.

Now as I stated, just need to one of those young playmakers to get a chance. Such a shame the transition between this insanely talented u21 generation(Shame Bruma is done for the season:(..super star young winger) is taking place now, if this world cup was in 2016 Ronaldo would finally have another Deco/Rui Costa to take some heat off him and give him quality service/dominating midfield/ and a easing up of being double/triple teamed.

Germany are my favourites to win. Brazil will be there as well...Spain too, if they go with their younger players like Isco, Thiago etc and Villa is in great form.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
I think Argentina has a really good chance with the best player in the world and an easy bracket. If they win the group, the quarterfinals should be against the Swiss/French/Ecuador and the semis vs Portugal/Ghana/USA

Argentina is far too unbalanced, they remind me so much of Holland in Euro 2012.

Their defence is weak, Garay is their best defender and as I'm a Benfica fan I can say that while he's solid, he's not great.

And they need Mascherano to have a great tournament, because the balance in their midfield can be exposed.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Argentina is far too unbalanced, they remind me so much of Holland in Euro 2012.

Their defence is weak, Garay is their best defender and as I'm a Benfica fan I can say that while he's solid, he's not great.

And they need Mascherano to have a great tournament, because the balance in their midfield can be exposed.

What about this Belgium team i've been hearing so much about as a Darkhorse?

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
What about this Belgium team i've been hearing so much about as a Darkhorse?

Talented, but untested.

They got a solid backline anchored by Kompany, and a stout midfield with Witsel. Hazard and Lukaku up front.

Very very young however, I feel the experience gained from this tournament will benefit them more in 2016/2018.

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
My heart is with England, my brain is with Germany. I don't mind the German's so wouldn't mind if they took it...just not at the expense of England that is. Either way I'm ****ing pumped. World cup>any other sports event.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Germany will win it

Hasn't this been predicted every Euro and every World Cup since forever? Not that they can't do it - Germany is full of some damn good talent, but they always seem to struggle in the big events.

I wonder if Klose can continue his World Cup scoring to take the top spot all-time.

Startel

ChuckBartowskiMovie
Feb 15, 2014
Can anyone tell me what makes uruguay, I don't follow soccer religiously but I never remember them being powerhouses is it Suarez?

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Brazil all the way. Very excited for this World Cup as I lived there for a while and have traveled extensively throughout the country. And the games are on at a reasonable hour.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Im taking Germany right now. Ozil is legit

Ozil has been **** for Arsenal this season. One would hope he can it around at the WC.

No European team has won a WC outside of Europe. Germany has the best shot.

I think the pressure will get too much for Brazil and thus think Argentina or even Chile have a better shot.

Belgium is the big-time dark-horse and will either use the tourney as a learning experience or be too naïve and win the whole thing.

brownbello

May 6, 2009
Powell River
Being Italian, I have to say Italy, its part of the obligations. But honestly I think its between Germany and Spain. Bundesliga is just putting out some great soccer over the course of the last 4 years, I think this will reflect on the national team. Even though these Bundesliga teams that are having success aren't all comprised of German nationals, it makes the whole league more competitive which I think makes the national players better. My two cents anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad