Working out for hockey

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Sadly, I cant get to the gym so I am unable to do 5x5. However peter twists book looks interesting.

On a side note, im wondering if p90x will help me put on some pounds? Looking around it seems like p90x is for people who need to lose weight.

P90x is overrated imo, don't get too wrapped up in it. If you can't get to the gym I'd recommend as many chin ups/pull ups, push ups and dips as you can squeeze into your day, as well as squats, jump squats, one legged squats, lateral bounds and box jumps. And (this is from the 5x5 website) drink as much whole milk as you can tolerate. It's the quickest and cheapest way to take in a ton of calories and protein, and at your age and metabolism, you don't risk getting fat or anything.

*edit* Also split squat jumps are an excellent exercise!

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
At 5'7 105 you need to gain some weight! I would eat more food but keep it healthy. Maybe add in a protein shake or two between meals. What's your activity level? Do you play/practice a lot? How about in the summer?

I would avoid P90X. It's a good program but I think it would burn so many calories you might not be able to gain much. And at your age/weight the weight room might not be a good idea.

Sticking to bodyweight exercises would be a good idea IMO. If you get too far into weight and even some heavy plyo at your build I think you might stress the joints and ligaments too much. Do your pushups, pullups, squats, core work, and do your normal hockey training (power skating, playing, practices, shooting, handling etc).

A good book I've found is called Convict Conditioning. It's a full body workout that you can do at home and requires only a bar to do pullups. I would check that out. It starts out pretty light so you can build up those joints and ligaments, and then it gets more and more challenging. It would be a good base for doing weight training down the road and importantly would be safe and allow you to keep playing.

Iplayhockehh

Aug 20, 2010
Surrey
At 5'7 105 you need to gain some weight! I would eat more food but keep it healthy. Maybe add in a protein shake or two between meals. What's your activity level? Do you play/practice a lot? How about in the summer?

I would avoid P90X. It's a good program but I think it would burn so many calories you might not be able to gain much. And at your age/weight the weight room might not be a good idea.

Sticking to bodyweight exercises would be a good idea IMO. If you get too far into weight and even some heavy plyo at your build I think you might stress the joints and ligaments too much. Do your pushups, pullups, squats, core work, and do your normal hockey training (power skating, playing, practices, shooting, handling etc).

A good book I've found is called Convict Conditioning. It's a full body workout that you can do at home and requires only a bar to do pullups. I would check that out. It starts out pretty light so you can build up those joints and ligaments, and then it gets more and more challenging. It would be a good base for doing weight training down the road and importantly would be safe and allow you to keep playing.

Shooting pucks, stick handling practice and street hockey take up 90% of my day at my house, to answer your question.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
TBH? My goal is to make it to the BCHL(Junior A). Im really good on my edges/skates and I can rock big guys sometimes. My acceleration is pretty good but my top speed is pretty crap. I probably had the best stickhandling on my team this past season and I know I have better puck handling then a kid who played A2 midget this past year. For a small guy who uses a 50 flex stick(lol I know) I can whip shots because I know how to shoot. I didn't try out for midget rep this year because at the beginning of the season I was 5"4 and 96 pounds... lol. When it comes to hockey I am always motivated and prepared to do what I have to.
What level pro are you playing? Thats crazy man!

LOL ***** that thats a big improvement still.

And I played AAA last year and OHL next year for the Kingston Frontenacs (hopefully)

Gibson19

Mar 18, 2011
Also, if you like peanut butter, have a spoonful of that every hour or two. I've heard its really helpful for skinny people to gain some weight along with their exercise

Iplayhockehh

Aug 20, 2010
Surrey
LOL ***** that thats a big improvement still.

And I played AAA last year and OHL next year for the Kingston Frontenacs (hopefully)

When I was 5"0 I was 110 pounds, but I did body weight exercises over the summer and all it did was make me a twig... lol. GL with your OHL career :D

Gervess

@Gervess
Jan 3, 2011
Gatineau, Quebec
I would tell you to eat the most protein as you can, and if you can train 5-6 times a week while adding cardio, and as the others had said, do bodyweight training like the Convict Conditioning. For the protein part, I'm not a huge fan of these protein shakes, especially at your age, just eat alot of meat like steaks, and maybe eat eggs once or twice a week for breakfast, drink chocolate milk or milk (500 ml) 4-5 a day. Make sure to always drink alot of water while training because all the wieight that you lose right away after the training, is only water. And the most important, have fun! Hope it will help you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad