Working out for hockey

Iplayhockehh

Aug 20, 2010
Surrey
Hey guys.
Im looking to add more strength to all parts of my game(skating speed, shot power, agility etc). The problem is that im confused beyond reason. I've read a lot of hockey articles that argue different ways of working out for the sport, however im still confused. Can someone tell me what type of workouts I should do? I'm not asking for a workout plan or anything, but it would be nice if someone could tell me if I should be doing 5 reps of lunges with heavy weights or 15 with med weights. Also, is it better to have big muscles, or is it better to have strength? Oh yeah, before I get 30 straight messages stressing technique, im way ahead of you! :D I shoot 200-300 pucks a day and work on my stick handling for an hour with my hockey smart ball. Working out is something I need to do to help elevate my game that much more.
Thanks guys.

Gibson19

Mar 18, 2011
Any reason why?

It'll work the hell out of you and you'll bulk up, but its not hockey geared training.

As for general rules. Do as much weight as you can for 10 reps. Typically 5 reps isn't gonna do anything worthwhile for someone who isn't hardcore. Keep it to 10 to 15 for the best burn. Also make sure to rest between sets. Big muscles typically means more strength, but often you get bigger muscles by working out then lose a lot of body fat to make the muscles stand out more. Personally I think thats useless for a hockey player because you want the extra weight to throw around. (I'm assuming that since you want to train for hockey your playing quite competitively).

Some of the excersises I like to do are, the dot drill (you can youtube it to explain it), plyometric stuff (http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometricexercises.html

These drills work on strength and speed. The benefit of plyometric training is it works on building your muscles but also gets your heart rate up to help get that little bit leaner. If your looking to work out everyday make sure you are alternating upper body work outs with lower body work outs or throwing in some cardio days in between.

I'd also recommend a fun exercise or two a week. Going to the gym every day gets a bit boring (at least for me). Mix it up by playing some sports with friends as your cardio training. Or volunteer to do some hard yard work or something. Nothing works the core like throwing around a whole bunch of gravel with a shovel.

Iplayhockehh

Aug 20, 2010
Surrey
It'll work the hell out of you and you'll bulk up, but its not hockey geared training.

As for general rules. Do as much weight as you can for 10 reps. Typically 5 reps isn't gonna do anything worthwhile for someone who isn't hardcore. Keep it to 10 to 15 for the best burn. Also make sure to rest between sets. Big muscles typically means more strength, but often you get bigger muscles by working out then lose a lot of body fat to make the muscles stand out more. Personally I think thats useless for a hockey player because you want the extra weight to throw around. (I'm assuming that since you want to train for hockey your playing quite competitively).

Some of the excersises I like to do are, the dot drill (you can youtube it to explain it), plyometric stuff (http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometricexercises.html

These drills work on strength and speed. The benefit of plyometric training is it works on building your muscles but also gets your heart rate up to help get that little bit leaner. If your looking to work out everyday make sure you are alternating upper body work outs with lower body work outs or throwing in some cardio days in between.

I'd also recommend a fun exercise or two a week. Going to the gym every day gets a bit boring (at least for me). Mix it up by playing some sports with friends as your cardio training. Or volunteer to do some hard yard work or something. Nothing works the core like throwing around a whole bunch of gravel with a shovel.

Very helpful, Thanks.

Iplayhockehh

Aug 20, 2010
Surrey
I was looking around and I found this, hockeyshot com/articles asp?id=169. Does anyone know anything about hockeyshot's free training program?

Wildturkey12

Do It!
Oct 20, 2010
L.A.
I find that when I focus mostly on my core my turning and balance on my skates become so strong. I hurt my knee and have been pretty lazy lately but at my peak I was taking pilates twice a week and spin twice a week. I would also work my legs out once a week. I always go heavy with low reps on my legs but I dont think that is for everyone.

Swiss balls are great for your core, as is planking and one armed planking.

warox

Jan 4, 2011
Detroit
I can think of a couple workout ideas.

I recommend a slide board. Good for improving stride length and keeping your hips & groin loose, while getting good a good cardio workout. There are a lot of different variations of slide board workouts, but for the most part pushing hard while focusing on technique for 15 minutes, then moving on to something else, is great for you.

It was mentioned above, but plyometric workouts are also very beneficial. There are a lot of different type of plyometric exercises and that's a whole different research topic for you. P90X is the new hotness in working out, and contains aspects of cardio and plyos, and preaches variation in exercise. It's worth checking out.

Old standby workouts: 12" piece of wooden stick, skatelace through a 5 or 10 lb weight. Leave it in your hockey bag, do two or three times after every practice/shooting session.

mfd1068

Mar 21, 2011
Keswick
TRX is also a good workout system for core strength. I saw a clip from Crosby's trainer where he tapes 6 pucks onto a stick blade and then simulates shooting. That would be great for your forearm's.

SnowBlue

Aug 10, 2010
P90X is good, and its very nice when the results start to come in. Just don't neglect your cardio. I think the P90X booklet recommends extra cardio in addition to the videos.

Renneys Revenge

Jan 7, 2010
the bodybuilding.com thread is really legit. thank you for suggesting something other than "buy this book" (although i'm sure they are helpful i already have spent all my money on league fees!)

Iplayhockehh

Aug 20, 2010
Surrey
Hold old are you and what's your current height/weight?

15, 5"7. Im still growing and my dad and brother are 5"10 and 5"11 and a half respectively. I weight 105 pounds... which seriously holds me back in hockey, however I have muscles for some reason.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
15, 5"7. Im still growing and my dad and brother are 5"10 and 5"11 and a half respectively. I weight 105 pounds... which seriously holds me back in hockey, however I have muscles for some reason.

I know the "buy this book!" method is not what you're looking for, but if you get a chance, read Peter Twist's "Complete Conditioning for Ice Hockey", a great explanation of the physiology of it all. Actually large sections of it are available in google books for free, but I don't think the whole thing is.

If you are looking to gain weight/strength, and have a few months to devote to just building muscle, a good website/program for teenagers (especially hardgainers) is Stronglifts 5x5. Don't think i'm allowed to link the URL, but just google it if you're interested. It focuses on building strength/power over just inflating your muscles (but that happens anyways :) ) The routine is very intense and involves a lot of squats; he also has good nutrition advice, at your age you'll be able to add on some pounds quickly. It's not terribly sports specific though so leave yourself a few months to really get back in hockey shape before the season.

Iplayhockehh

Aug 20, 2010
Surrey
I know the "buy this book!" method is not what you're looking for, but if you get a chance, read Peter Twist's "Complete Conditioning for Ice Hockey", a great explanation of the physiology of it all. Actually large sections of it are available in google books for free, but I don't think the whole thing is.

If you are looking to gain weight/strength, and have a few months to devote to just building muscle, a good website/program for teenagers (especially hardgainers) is Stronglifts 5x5. Don't think i'm allowed to link the URL, but just google it if you're interested. It focuses on building strength/power over just inflating your muscles (but that happens anyways :) ) The routine is very intense and involves a lot of squats; he also has good nutrition advice, at your age you'll be able to add on some pounds quickly. It's not terribly sports specific though so leave yourself a few months to really get back in hockey shape before the season.

Sadly, I cant get to the gym so I am unable to do 5x5. However peter twists book looks interesting.

On a side note, im wondering if p90x will help me put on some pounds? Looking around it seems like p90x is for people who need to lose weight.

mbowman

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto/Halifax
Sadly, I cant get to the gym so I am unable to do 5x5. However peter twists book looks interesting.

On a side note, im wondering if p90x will help me put on some pounds? Looking around it seems like p90x is for people who need to lose weight.

as far as I can tell, P90x will do different things for different people, depending on how intensely you do the program. My rugby team, for fitness at the end of practices, would do ab ripper x type stuff, and it was way INTENSE. difficult core work, but more varied than just planks and crunched. definitely saw results, and the point was to get a rugby team in shape, not to get a bunch of middle agers to lose weight. it'll definitely improve your strength if you take it seriously

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto

What level are you trying to get to?

Pro usually starts at 16 and sorry to tell you but at 15 I was 6'2 and 165ish(really lanky) and was considered too small. Now at 17 I'm 6'3.5 and 215.

I really advise a lot of balance, for me the secret was 2 hours of working out(diff parts daily) followed by a 30 min break and than 45 mins of cardio. I would usually swim, run, bike, or roller blade with a stick dekeing a tennis ball around for the cardio part.

Most important thing for me was finding a partner. Make sure he is about the same size as you and is looking for similar results. Motivation is what keeps you going, and doing this alone every day is boring as h**l

Hard work but it paid off. Starting pro this summer

Iplayhockehh

Aug 20, 2010
Surrey
What level are you trying to get to?

Pro usually starts at 16 and sorry to tell you but at 15 I was 6'2 and 165ish(really lanky) and was considered too small. Now at 17 I'm 6'3.5 and 215.

I really advise a lot of balance, for me the secret was 2 hours of working out(diff parts daily) followed by a 30 min break and than 45 mins of cardio. I would usually swim, run, bike, or roller blade with a stick dekeing a tennis ball around for the cardio part.

Most important thing for me was finding a partner. Make sure he is about the same size as you and is looking for similar results. Motivation is what keeps you going, and doing this alone every day is boring as h**l

Hard work but it paid off. Starting pro this summer

TBH? My goal is to make it to the BCHL(Junior A). Im really good on my edges/skates and I can rock big guys sometimes. My acceleration is pretty good but my top speed is pretty crap. I probably had the best stickhandling on my team this past season and I know I have better puck handling then a kid who played A2 midget this past year. For a small guy who uses a 50 flex stick(lol I know) I can whip shots because I know how to shoot. I didn't try out for midget rep this year because at the beginning of the season I was 5"4 and 96 pounds... lol. When it comes to hockey I am always motivated and prepared to do what I have to.
What level pro are you playing? Thats crazy man!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad