OT: Words / vocabulary you butcher in spelling / pronunciation / meaning for years

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Languages are democratic, if the majority of people use a word that gives it a new meaning it becomes acceptable in time.

My pet peeve has been 'reactionary' to describe someone that acts in a knee jerk fashion. The word means the exact opposite, that you cling to old ways.

Reactions: paulmm3

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Looks like I snuck this one past.
I "liked" it because I caught the faux pas.

Languages are democratic, if the majority of people use a word that gives it a new meaning it becomes acceptable in time.

My pet peeve has been 'reactionary' to describe someone that acts in a knee jerk fashion. The word means the exact opposite, that you cling to old ways.
I learn something new all the time on this site...

Reactions: Buffaloed

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

I knew that because I was educated by reactionaries.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
On a completely different note- anyone else hate its vs. it's?

The dog's bone. Its bone. Because it's his bone. I still google this crap every 6 months or so- just weird how it breaks the rules of possessive language.
Well, with its, consider also his, hers, ours, yours and theirs. It's far more analogous with those than with the apostrophe s possessives, despite the fact that all but his serve solely as pronouns (and while its technically can serve as one too, it rarely does so). Its is kind of an oddball, though, as it actually was originally it's, with the 's being the possessive rather than a contraction. It was to conform more closely with the other pronoun/possessive forms that it became its. Interestingly a brief bit of research makes it look like it's (as a possessive) got fully replaced by its shortly after contractions started to become used in English. Merriam-Webster links its replacing possessive it's with contraction it's replacing 'tis.

The whole 's possessive thing in general traces itself back to Old English (or Anglo-Saxon as its also called). Old English, unlike Middle or Modern English, had an elaborate case system, where words could take different forms to indicate what role they played in a sentence, whereas in Modern English word order and prepositional phrases are used instead. However, the possessive in Modern English is a descendant of the genitive case (which is used to indicate possession) from Old English.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The whole 's possessive thing in general traces itself back to Old English (or Anglo-Saxon as its also called). Old English, unlike Middle or Modern English, had an elaborate case system, where words could take different forms to indicate what role they played in a sentence, whereas in Modern English word order and prepositional phrases are used instead. However, the possessive in Modern English is a descendant of the genitive case (which is used to indicate possession) from Old English.

The Old English stems from the West Germanic language family. The North Germanic languages (Swedish, Norwegian, Danish...) all use the s-genitive (without apostrophe).

"Your" actually is same stem with the Swedish "er" (plural 2nd person possessive, among some other meanings), so "yours" pretty much got a double Germanic-stemming possessive going on: first one stemming from the Proto-Germanic genitive form and then the later s-genitive slapped onto it too.

Reconstruction:Proto-Germanic/izweraz - Wiktionary
Reconstruction:Proto-Germanic/unseraz - Wiktionary

This was a grievous mistake you made, @brian_griffin

Last edited:

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
I always want to add an additional superfluous "M" when writing Concomitant/concomitantly. Ancillary will become ancilliary if I'm not paying attention.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
We've got to show some displine and start spelling Ralph Krueger's name correctly. I found myself dropping the E a few times. After seeing it spelled incorrectly so many times one begins to doubt and loses confidence in the spelling. It's bad enough that Sabres gets misspelled so often.

IT'S NOT KRUGER IT'S KRUEGER!!!!!

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
forgot this one, it's very grammatically wrong but it's now out of control due to the Internet, using 'apostrophe s' to pluralize nouns.

e.g. The Smith's are our next door neighbors.

e.g. Krueger will hire assistant coach's soon.

there are even people using 'apostrophe s' on verbs. e.g. My grandmother garden's in her backyard.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
forgot this one, it's very grammatically wrong but it's now out of control due to the Internet, using 'apostrophe s' to pluralize nouns.

e.g. The Smith's are our next door neighbors.

e.g. Krueger will hire assistant coach's soon.

there are even people using 'apostrophe s' on verbs. e.g. My grandmother garden's in her backyard.

This one grinds my gears because this is literally some of the earliest shit you learn

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
imminent
eminent
immanent

Sabres announcement of Jeff Skinner contract imminent.
Jason Botterill is not an eminent GM.
Ralph Krueger sees positive energy immanent in everything.
For shame, I only knew 1.5 of those.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Can someone answer this question. It is about sabres grammar :)

Since the team is the Buffalo Sabres and not the Buffalo Sabre what would be correct?

Eichel is a sabre.

Eichel is a sabres.

Obviously the first one makes sense but I think Sabres is a proper name and not the plural of the word with regards to the name. Stupid grammar.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
According HF's Advanced Stats™, the phrase "moves the needle" (and derivations) is now the most commonly used phrase in hockey commentary. For a record straight 4th year, "I get that", remains in the top 10.

Last edited:

SharkInABoloTie

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2016
The Heart of Darkness
Haven't seen it yet, but I didn't learn until my mid twenties, that the phrase "all the sudden" was made up and it should be "all of a sudden". Made me feel stupid, that's for sure.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
For a long time I thought “having trouble making ends meet” was “having trouble making end’s meat”... as in they can’t even afford crappy cuts of meat.

I still kinda like my version. :dunno:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Can someone answer this question. It is about sabres grammar :)

Since the team is the Buffalo Sabres and not the Buffalo Sabre what would be correct?

Eichel is a sabre.

Eichel is a sabres.

Obviously the first one makes sense but I think Sabres is a proper name and not the plural of the word with regards to the name. Stupid grammar.

Precedent with just about every NA hockey team every except the Wild and Avalanche? A singular player is a singular member of the team name. All of them collectively are plural.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Some of you continue to struggle with the spelling of Ralph Krueger's name. With the pride of Buffalo at stake, I devised a mnemonic to help you remember the correct spelling. Now I understand why some wanted Ruff back. His name is so easy to spell.

oK aRe yoU EaGER

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad