OT: Words / vocabulary you butcher in spelling / pronunciation / meaning for years

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Dragons I've slain:
Spelling / pronunciation: Used to spell dilemna instead of dilemma until very recently. probably would still be doing it if it weren't for auto-correct. I always thought the "n" was silent.
Pronunciation: Tininitus (I always added a syllable) instead of tinnitus.
Pronunciation: I still occasionally pronounce the "W" in sword, despite having to read Shakespeare and Beowulf in class, out loud, rotating student readers, decades ago in school.
Pronunciation: I often substitute cavalry (the horse regiment) for Calvary (the biblical location).

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I don't know if there are any that I'm guilty of, but here are a few that others do that peeve me:

1. Weary when they actually mean wary or leery
2. Epitome: my wife pronounces this ep-i-tome instead of e-pit-o-mee
3. Processes: some people pronounce this with a long last e, as if it were a Latin word. I think they do it because they think it sounds smarter or something.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones that immediately come to mind that you haven't already mentioned.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I have no idea how many of each letter I'm supposed to put in embarrass and always just wing it somehow.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I don't know if there are any that I'm guilty of, but here are a few that others do that peeve me:

1. Weary when they actually mean wary or leery
2. Epitome: my wife pronounces this ep-i-tome instead of e-pit-o-mee
3. Processes: some people pronounce this with a long last e, as if it were a Latin word. I think they do it because they think it sounds smarter or something.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones that immediately come to mind that you haven't already mentioned.

I think the pronunciation of "process, " like other words that have both a noun and verb form (e.g., record) depends on whether you're using the noun or the verb. Both are correct, in the right context.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I think the pronunciation of "process, " like other words that have both a noun and verb form (e.g., record) depends on whether you're using the noun or the verb. Both are correct, in the right context.
I don't think that's true. Do you have a reference for it?

Edit: according to What is the correct pronunciation of the word “processes”?, the last syllable can be pronounced with a long e, but it doesn't matter whether it is being used as a verb or a noun. I still don't like it and think it sounds dumb. (Insert old man yelling at cloud.)

Reactions: Chainshot

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
What is discussed in the post you quoted, the "long e" in the last syllable of processes, is a non-standard pronunciation period. If you're referring to whether process is pronounced with an "o" sound or an "ah" sound, that isn't related to the part of speech it is, it's a regional difference. The US tends to use the "ah" pronunciation whereas the UK and Canada use the "o" version.

Progress on the other hand has a different pronunciation for its noun and verb forms (it also carries the same regional split between the US and UK/Canada, although UK doesn't have the verb form)

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
My kids say I put in L in “both”, when I say it it... (ie bolth). I don’t hear it though, they might be f***ing with me.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
Here are a few:
1. I have an truly awful time typing accommodation correctly.

2. I always thought and used the term nonplussed to mean unfazed or unimpressed, only to find out that it really means unsure, bewildered etc. I've since heard plenty of people using the term in the way I initially understood it, so I think that one might be evolving.

3. I'm not sure if this technically qualifies as vocabulary, but there's a model I use as a reference point as part of a lecture on a topic where one of the authors' last names was Wesley. I gave versions of that lecture on at least a couple dozen occasions, put together a published chapter (and least one revised version for a newer edition) where I cited and wrote about it, and created/commissioned diagrams to accompany it, and never gave the name a second thought until a very earnestly concerned, but unfailingly polite non-traditional student (who honestly reminded me a lot of my mom) in a summer class asked me very insistently if I was completely sure about the reference. Turns out the person's name is actually Westley.

4. My ten year old daughter is a bit of gamer and we play some games together either cooperatively or giving each other couch commentary while the other is playing. Right now we're mainly playing through Stardew Valley. A couple weeks ago we were playing and she starts talking about her inven-tree. Among the things you can do in the game are planting/harvesting trees and also crafting/devices gadgets, so I thought this was some kind of special thing in the game I hadn't gotten to yet. Turns out she just watched a youtube stream from someone in the UK and that is just the British pronunciation of inventory. After figuring it out together and pointing out the correction, she opted to fully embrace the UK style of saying it, mainly because it mildly annoys me. She has since managed to work the term and annoying pronunciation into conversation at least once a day--Daddy, our inventree of lunch stuff is low, her sister's toybox needs more inventree space, etc. It's honestly a little impressive.

Reactions: Buff15Sabres

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I don't think whether the vowel is long or short in "process" derives from its part of speech.

1. Process - American long 'o' - verb to walk in a slow, formal, organized manner.
2. "Prahcess" - American, short 'o'. Noun. A manner of doing something; procedure.
3. Process - English, long 'o'. Same part of speech & definition as #2 above.
4. Process - American verb, short 'o'. To review and consider something e.g., an application, form, payment, data, etc.

I've heard the plural processes with both short and long 'e', with the former more common, but the latter definitely not rare.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Here are a few:

3. I'm not sure if this technically qualifies as vocabulary, but there's a model I use as a reference point as part of a lecture on a topic where one of the authors' last names was Wesley. I gave versions of that lecture on at least a couple dozen occasions, put together a published chapter (and least one revised version for a newer edition) where I cited and wrote about it, and created/commissioned diagrams to accompany it, and never gave the name a second thought until a very earnestly concerned, but unfailingly polite non-traditional student (who honestly reminded me a lot of my mom) in a summer class asked me very insistently if I was completely sure about the reference. Turns out the person's name is actually Westley.

Congratulations, you have been nominated for the HFBoards Masterson Trophy! :snide:

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
I'm annoyed at myself for missing/repeating articles, especially when I'm editing. My brain doesn't really recognize them as words.

I will never say "penalized" the correct way- it sounds wrong.

One thing that always sticks out to me is when people use "of" instead of "have" as in should have, would have, etc. If you remember the contraction, it's easier to use the right word.

Reactions: Chainshot

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I fall back into northern lingo among my southern neighbors. When "sorry" comes out "saw-ree," they giggle an tell us "all y'all Yankees be funny!"

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
that's a seperate issue, because I think he meant calendar.
giphy.gif

Reactions: kundahlini

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Use of the word literally when people really mean figuratively. It is not to correct to say Jack Eichel literally faked Dion Phaneuf out of his jackstrap on that play unless said jockstrap is separated from his body.

Use of the word optics to describe appearances or perceptions. “Optics” refers to the science of light, or to the mechanisms that transmit, alter, or perceive electromagnetic radiation. I don't want to read about the optics of failing to re-sign Jeff Skinner.

Obviously, process, and situation: overused words by players, coaches, and gm's. They should take a little time to improve their communication skills.

Viral means of, relating to, or caused by a virus.

It's gone viral the way marketers and advertisers have changed the optics of communication by literally hijacking scientific terms. Obviously it's a situation where the purpose is to make the consumer believe there is hidden knowledge that they must click to uncover. The process is working.

Reactions: SharkInABoloTie

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Use of the word literally when people really mean figuratively. It is not to correct to say Jack Eichel literally faked Dion Phaneuf out of his jackstrap on that play unless said jockstrap is separated from his body.
Similarly, I had a friend in grad school who would always use the word "technically" when he actually meant "practically." As in, that jet can technically fly 1 million miles per hour. It annoyed the Dickens out of me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->