Worcester Railers to join the ECHL in 2017-18

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
Unfortunately, the team will most likely not be named the IceCats. Whitehawks has been trademarked, though the owner is open to different nicknames.

I liked that the report mentioned Indianapolis as a former AHL market. We haven't had an AHL team in nearly 60 years.

Whitehawks is........I don't want to say 'dumb' because I feel like that would be mean, but it doesn't make a ton of sense outside of alliteration.

IceCats is trademarked by who I would ask? See who would already have it and perhaps negotiate?

But if they don't start til 2017, that season the Bruins would be without an ECHL club, as their deal with the Gladiators is for two years, this and next. Would work out perfectly if they could slide into Worcester right when their deal in GA is over.

Plus, you could then name the team the Bruins and be done with it. It will suck having no hockey next year either but well worth it if the Bruins and up with their ECHL affiliate in Worcester.

wildthing202

May 29, 2006
I believe former IceCats trainer Mark Puleo owns it.

But a smart owner won't use it anyway.

https://www.facebook.com/tpehockey/info/?tab=overview

Whomever owns this place is the person who owns the trademark.

From TESS
86429322 - owner - The Professionals Edge LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY MASSACHUSETTS 284 Lake Ave Worcester MASSACHUSETTS 01604
86528300 - owner - The Professionals Edge L.L.C. LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY MASSACHUSETTS 10 Williamsburg Ct Shrewsbury MASSACHUSETTS 01545

Address matches the first TESS listing.

Whitehawks does sound dumb sounds like we're anti-Chicago or something.

TESS listing for Worcester Whitehawks
86830051 - owner - WORCESTER PROHOCKEY, LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY MASSACHUSETTS 6 Bridle Spur Road Danvers MASSACHUSETTS 01923
Filed 11/24/15

Just the word mark no logo as of yet.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
https://www.facebook.com/tpehockey/info/?tab=overview

Whomever owns this place is the person who owns the trademark.

From TESS
86429322 - owner - The Professionals Edge LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY MASSACHUSETTS 284 Lake Ave Worcester MASSACHUSETTS 01604
86528300 - owner - The Professionals Edge L.L.C. LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY MASSACHUSETTS 10 Williamsburg Ct Shrewsbury MASSACHUSETTS 01545

Address matches the first TESS listing.

That is Mark Puleo's business...

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
I believe former IceCats trainer Mark Puleo owns it.

But a smart owner won't use it anyway.

As long as there has been a chance for an ECHL team in Worcester I've been hoping they would affiliate with Boston and just be the Bruins.

IceCats is nice, and it's fun for a throwback night. That's probably where it would be best suited.

The name and brand recognition using the Bruins name is the best bet to draw more casual fans in. It makes the most sense out of anything they could possibly come up with. That's JMO.

Of course if they don't get a Bruins affiliation then it's up in the air, but by the same token if they don't get a Bruins affiliation they're going to have a hard time surviving so it would end up moot.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Am I the only one on here that finds it kinda lame that it's gonna take almost two full years to get this operation off the ground? Why can't it be ready in the ten months to begin play for the 2016-17 season? It should have little to do with developing a fan base or getting an arena ready.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Am I the only one on here that finds it kinda lame that it's gonna take almost two full years to get this operation off the ground? Why can't it be ready in the ten months to begin play for the 2016-17 season? It should have little to do with developing a fan base or getting an arena ready.

From the article linked in post #26
“If I wanted to drop a puck for the 2016-17 season, that would give me three or four months to hire staff and start to generate revenue. I made a determination, along with the ECHL —their best practices say you need 12 months from the time of approval until you drop a puck, and while they don’t mandate it, if I’m trying to get approval and I’m going against their best practices, that’s probably not a great idea.

“Best practices aside, I didn’t want to show up here and immediately try to start selling tickets, start selling sponsorships. I don’t want to just do this, I want to do it right. I’m in it for the long haul. So I felt I’m going to need about a year to staff up, and integrate into the community.â€

If a successful businessman like Cliff Rucker wants to buy a team in a league where very few make money and has a plan that he thinks will help him succeed, I'm all for him doing it the way he wants.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
More time to build a relationship with potential sponsors and vendors. Better relationships = more money/trade.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
So with Worcester coming in. What could be the 30th team ? Oklahoma City ?

Someone posted in this section that this is the year Reno gets their team. Who knows if that's the case though. You don't really hear much about these expansions compared to the NHL expansion or if there is a group of people keeping up with this stuff and are more vocal about it.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
Whitehawks is........I don't want to say 'dumb' because I feel like that would be mean, but it doesn't make a ton of sense outside of alliteration.

Most ECHL teams have names that are off or have names you would never expect to see as a name of a sports team. Greenville Swamp Rabbits and the Orlando Solar Bears are two names that come to mind that have names that are "different".

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
If you think ECHL names are "off" or "different", take a look at Minor League Baseball. Some out there names everywhere. Just in the Southern League you have the Montgomey Biscuits, Pensacola Blue Wahoos, and the Biloxi Shuckers.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Most ECHL teams have names that are off or have names you would never expect to see as a name of a sports team. Greenville Swamp Rabbits and the Orlando Solar Bears are two names that come to mind that have names that are "different".

But they have regional ties to their name so it makes them cool. That's the best way to name a minor league sports team IMO.

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA

If you think ECHL names are "off" or "different", take a look at Minor League Baseball. Some out there names everywhere. Just in the Southern League you have the Montgomey Biscuits, Pensacola Blue Wahoos, and the Biloxi Shuckers.

Yeah I mean I know that the lower you go in minor league sports the more eccentric the names can become. That wasn't really what I was saying, I was pointing out that 'Whitehawks' doesn't make sense for Worcester outside of the fact that it starts with a 'W' because...

But they have regional ties to their name so it makes them cool. That's the best way to name a minor league sports team IMO.

...it has no tie to the area or the city. I'm sure there is something they could come up with that makes a little more sense as far as relating to Worcester goes. Something a little "off the wall" or whatever.

But as I've said before, I hope it won't matter and that they'll be the Worcester Bruins.

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
From the article linked in post #26

If a successful businessman like Cliff Rucker wants to buy a team in a league where very few make money and has a plan that he thinks will help him succeed, I'm all for him doing it the way he wants.

More time to build a relationship with potential sponsors and vendors. Better relationships = more money/trade.

Yeah count me in this camp as well. If it takes an extra year then so be it, more than willing to wait to watch a solidified team versus a scramble to get an organization off the ground in time for an earlier season. The latter will only lead to problems.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I wouldn't worry about who will be the 30th team. The league has quite a few franchises on sketchy ground to begin with that in two years time I'm sure you'll see some folds rather than being closer to 30.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Whitehawks is a pretty boring name. Nevermind the fact the bird is not indigenous to North America.

I bet it won't end up being the actual name anyhow......

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I would think that they would try to negotiate the use of the Icecats identity. White hawks is probably their plan B if they can't get it.

BigBadBruin8

@rsox1221
Jul 31, 2005
Shrewsbury, MA
I would think that they would try to negotiate the use of the Icecats identity. White hawks is probably their plan B if they can't get it.

Whitehawks might end up being plan D or E if people in Worcester don't like it. I think he trademarked a name just to have a last ditch option in case...

Like 210 said whoever owns this team (Rucker) may not want to use IceCats outside of a throwback night like they do now. That seems to work well in the community when they do it, just the right amount of nostalgia to make that night successful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad