Post-Game Talk: WOLL Stands Tall gives Leafs the Win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What kinda cooldown though lol

Are we getting Campbell’s .940 -> .914 where he was a .890 goalie for large stretches or just normal regression

Obviously there will be people who overreact to his eventual cooldown, but normal regression hopefully won’t be terrible and snowball into something worse

Woll is at .961% ... probably not anywhere near that. But hopefully he can maintain a good consistency and finish really really good. We desperately need that kind of goaltending in the playoffs.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Woll is at .961% ... probably not anywhere near that. But hopefully he can maintain a good consistency and finish really really good. We desperately need that kind of goaltending in the playoffs.

I think .910-.918 is right where the team needs their goaltending to be successful in the playoffs.

That’s not astronomical, but you consistently see those kind of performances winning playoff games

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think .910-.918 is right where the team needs their goaltending to be successful in the playoffs.

That’s not astronomical, but you consistently see those kind of performances winning playoff games

Bobrovsky just got extremely hot for about 3 weeks.

Last year:
1698424215431.png

1698424189542.png

Reactions: Strangle

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Klingberg's got his issues, but he absolutely is bringing positives on a regular basis

Also, yeah, WOLL. Talk about grabbing a starting role quickly
People keep thinking Klingberg has to be some rock defensively, sure he can be better. But he was brought in primarily to bring in offence from the blue line, mobility, breaking passes out and having another D man that can provide quality minutes on the PP. He's fine, just if you're expecting him to play like a top 2 D man defensively, you're gonna hate him.

He is what we thought we were gonna get with Barrie, I don't mind him. Some brain farts defensively but overall more positives than negatives.

Bertuzzi finally had a game where things went his way a bit more. He's a greasy player but he's really good around the net. That 2nd line of him, Nylander and Tavares has been consistently a threat.

Knies also keeps impressing, and playing with Domi seems like a good fit. Kampf can be shot in the sun though... He doesn't hit, win battles or show any sort of IQ or skill. He works hard and can win faceoffs, that's it.

I thought Klingberg had a great game and Rielly keeps having a Norris level season. Without McCabe though, this is gonna get spicy. Benoit sucks really bad.

Woll being great isn't a surprise. A good goaltender will give you these kind of stretches often. Just don't turn on the guy once he cools down, please?
I like Bertuzzi much better on the 2nd line, he has good chemistry with Tavares/Nylander and made some good plays. I feel like he tries to play too skilled with 34/16 and play their kind of game. When he's playing a grindy kind of a game, battling for pucks, making the simple pass and what not, he's been a lot more effective. His play down low to get Nylander the puck is under appreciated.

Reactions: CapspaceKiller

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
We keep bringing in offensive dmen.. if our defence is not good offensively and not good defensively, what are they good at?

Reactions: shaner8989

Spargon

May 31, 2019
We keep bringing in offensive dmen.. if our defence is not good offensively and not good defensively, what are they good at?
Legit question, what group of defense do the Leafs need before people stop acting like we ice an ECHL d core?

Before Dubas that was absolutely true. If you go through the years since Matthews you can see the defense being reshaped every year usually 2-3 new faces yet every year it's "hurr durr Leafs d bad" even years when we have tracked top 5 in all the defensive categories.

So please I would like to hear people's ideal d core that would make the narrative die and how you intended to obtain this group.

Last edited:
Reactions: kb

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Who needs defensive when Joe Woll is in net?

Does Joseph Woll remind you of another Joseph? Curtis Joseph
I don't see it. He's like a bigger Belfour, just makes it look so easy.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Legit question, what group of defense do the Leafs need before people stop acting like we ice an ECHL d core?

Before Dubas that was absolutely true. If you go through the years since Matthews you can see the defence being reshaped every year usually 2-3 new faces yet every year it's "hurr during leafs d bad" even years when we have tracked top 5 in all the defensive categories.

So please I would like to hear people's ideal d core rhat would make the narrative die and how you intended to obtain this group.
My ideal d core would not be shaped around offensively skilled players and then still come 29th in points.

Can we just stick to basic defence

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
Aki Berg the poster was a fun one in his day. In his stead, I would like to remind this board that until last year, the Leafs had never won a playoff round since Aki Berg left the team. Coincedence? I think not.
I, too, remember Aki Berg (the poster)

Spargon

May 31, 2019
My ideal d core would not be shaped around offensively skilled players and then still come 29th in points.

Can we just stick to basic defence
Doesn't answer my question. Name specific group of 6 d man that would make an acceptable d core in your eyes and how would you go about trading/signing them.

No matter the group of d on the team people whine. It honestly feels like we could have a d core of

Bobby Orr - Nik Lidstrom
Paul Coffey - Shea weber
Cale Makar - Victor Hedman

And people would still whine saying our d is shit.

I want to see the mythical d core that will make people happy.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Doesn't answer my question. Name specific group of 6 d man that would make an acceptable d core in your eyes and how would you go about trading/signing them.

No matter the group of d on the team people whine. It honestly feels like we could have a d core of

Bobby Orr - Nik Lidstrom
Paul Coffey - Shea weber
Cale Makar - Victor Hedman

And people would still whine saying our d is shit.

I want to see the mythical d core that will make people happy.
I’m sure it’s not easy to replace all 6..

Klingberg over schenn

What about my question? What’s the best way to describe our defence?

alliuk12

Feb 1, 2011
If woll is playing so good in goal why the hell is that dumb f*** playing sammi in net Saturday night and don’t tell me it’s to give woll a break he played 3 games well 2 3/4 games

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If woll is playing so good in goal why the hell is that dumb f*** playing sammi in net Saturday night and don’t tell me it’s to give woll a break he played 3 games well 2 3/4 games
In a row.....so yes, break time.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
In a row.....so yes, break time.
I'm not sure what's harder to grasp for everyone freaking out Samsonov is starting. That you can't run Woll into the ground. Or that in order for Samsonov to have value to the team or potentially any other team if it gets to that bridge, he needs to play out of his funk.

This isn't some Nick Aube-Kubel situation where you toss/give up on the player out of nowhere after a few bad games. This is an asset that has helped you before and can help you again. If he continues to be an issue, then maybe you take action.

Reactions: TMLAM34 and kb

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
can we stop with Kampf staring the OT. They never got the puck and he was on for too long.

Kleinburg better get 50 points cause the D side is Aki Berg/Brett Lebda level bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad