Woll or Scott

Who do you think has the better career?

• Total voters

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Either way, both were genius picks. So many posts stating conventional wisdom -- young goalies are hard to predict. Well, Leafs scouting picked these 2 guys when they were significantly younger than they are now, and they both seem like they are hits. I remember Scott seeming particularly random. Big props to the scouting.

Question from a noob: Do Leafs have specialty goalie scouts? Or are the regular guys responsible to stick their necks out on a tender? tia

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd lean Woll, he's been more consistent, and is more proven at a higher level. He's also only 6 months older than Scott. I love Scott's raw tools, but I have more worries about how he'll transition to the next step as pro-hockey, as he only had a half season so far of elite (or even good) play at the WHL level. Woll has 2 years of good play in Hockey-East and is having a year of elite level play. Woll was also the better player pre-draft.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Everyone has to pick a side right now so when we get to 2023 and the arguments are in full force we can all be stuck in our 2018 opinions and know which of the 2 we have to pick apart and which of the 2 we love unconditionally.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I am just going with high end... so Scott.

I think Scott could become a better goalie overall.

I think Woll is more likely to reach his potential and be consistent in the NHL. I think Woll is as close to a guarantee to be at least a backup as you can get out of a goalie prospect at that stage of his development.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Lets hope management doesn't choose prematurely and we have a Rask-Pooge situation again.

Although to be fair, by the time these guys are ready to step in, our current players will be towards the end, if not passed, the cup window.

Unless Scott pulls a Carter Hart or something

Reactions: Mork

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Lets hope management doesn't choose prematurely and we have a Rask-Pooge situation again.

Although to be fair, by the time these guys are ready to step in, our current players will be towards the end, if not passed, the cup window.

Unless Scott pulls a Carter Hart or something
Reilly is our oldest core player and he’s 24... I think we have another decade.

Reactions: stickty111

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Reilly is our oldest core player and he’s 24... I think we have another decade.

It's not necessarily about ages, it's about being able to afford all these elite players when they are ufas. Guys like Rielly and Andersen aren't going to take 5 million dollar contracts again. A lot changes in 5 seasons.

I can't predict how they'll cut and glue pieces together to keep the team contenders but we can't possibly keep them all forever.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm going to say Woll for now because it seems like he's been methodically following the Thatcher Demko development path for a few years now, but Scott seems to have some interesting upside. Hoping for more Carey Price and less Justin Pogge.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's not necessarily about ages, it's about being able to afford all these elite players when they are ufas. Guys like Rielly and Andersen aren't going to take 5 million dollar contracts again. A lot changes in 5 seasons.

I can't predict how they'll cut and glue pieces together to keep the team contenders but we can't possibly keep them all forever.

Well keep in mind when you're already paying a player $5 million plus, the jump to $8-$9 million isn't as dramatic as going from an ELC to potentially a $10 million salary. Plus there's enough inefficient contracts on the team that can be cleaned up before you start cutting deep into the core.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Who the hell knows.

Both may have great careers. Both after bombing out of an orgainzation or two. Both could be nothing.
Far, far too much road ahead to tell.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Is Woll just another Sparks?

Is Scott just another Pogge?

Let's just not trade either one of them to Boston, please and thank you!

Last edited:

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
Voted Woll. I want to see Scott play well for more than half a season before I buy in.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
If either one of them becomes a goalie for the Leafs, I'll be thrilled. Both look to at least have a shot at this point.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Why not try in their respective drafts would they go a round higher. And would they be the first goalies pick from their draft year.?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
You can have a career at 18? There is no answer to your question. The question is who do you think will have a better career over the course of their lifetime. At this point way too early. Forget Pogge, that's a low blow to the kid. Right now I vote Scott as better than Woll longterm.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
And then there's 21 year old Mario Culina who's currently 5-0 for the Growlers (star of the Kitchener Rangers playoff run last year) with a .934 save percentage.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad