Post-Game Talk: Woll/Devils 5 plus EN, Leafs 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Some people are completely LOST if you think this game was on Woll, sure the first goal you would like to see saved, but the other 4 goals against were completely atrocious.

The worrying part is, you think the team would start to get into playoff mode, start tightening up with 10 games left in the seaon, and they come out and give the Devils 10 quality high end scoring chances

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Some people are completely LOST if you think this game was on Woll, sure the first goal you would like to see saved, but the other 4 goals against were completely atrocious.

The worrying part is, you think the team would start to get into playoff mode, start tightening up with 10 games left in the seaon, and they come out and give the Devils 10 quality high end scoring chances
I don’t think it has anything to do with 10 games left or tightening up, I think this is just what the team is. This is what they are.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
As someone who followed Woll throughout his AHL career I’m not surprised to see games like this. His hot start was what it was, a hot streak. Hopefully Samsonov is ready to go for playoffs

Reactions: TopCheeseShotta

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I don’t think it has anything to do with 10 games left or tightening up, I think this is just what the team is. This is what they are.
Maybe they are.. Which in the end is good for us cause it should lead to a coaching change and a revamped D-core for next season.

Reactions: ToneDog

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
There were arguably 3 bad goals in this game and Jake Allen let in 2 of them.

Woll was bad on 1st Devils goal.
Allen wants the Nylander one back - great shot but you see it you have to stop it.
Allen probably wants the Matthews one back too.

Other devils goals
2nd one you allow a 2-1 and then allow the pass - that is not on Woll
3rd one you leave Timo meier alone between the hash marks
4th one 5 Leafs standing around the crease and no one bothers to cover Willman to knock in the rebound
5th one a break away

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
I feel like Woll is the same category as Robertson, due to their extended injuries, just lacking pro experience. They both need way more games under their belt (same with Lilly although he's playing more finally).
Unfortunately we need championship quality goaltending for the next three months. Is that Sammy? Maybe.

I don't blame Woll for most of those goals last night, horrendous team play in front of him.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
24 shots 5 goals, 790 goaltending.

you will go to ANY length to blame ANYBODY but goaltending.

790 is on goaltending

Must but weird living in such a black and white binary world making judgments with no context. Not all shots are equal - this should be obvious.

Goaltending was not great but it was the sloppy play in front of Woll that was a much bigger factor.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
I thought that the leafs played hard and deserved a better fate. Jersey definitely capitalized on their chances and we didn’t. I don’t understand why we still have as many bad defensive plays as we do, the system Keefe uses is flawed.

Also after a commercial break why does Keefe insist on playing the Kampf line. 5 minutes left in the game, coming off a commercial and the 4th line is out. Keefe needs to go, he can’t get this team to play smart hockey and that’s his job.

Injuries are starting to pile up also and I hope that a healthy lineup is available when playoffs start

Reactions: OddyOh

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
What was "Immature" about last year night's game? I didn't understand this comment.
its a Keefism. Like playing "selfish". Probably just means they made bad decisions but the Devils are fast so you gotta play fast.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
the leafs give up waaaaaaaaay more odd man rushes than any other team we play.

Is there a stat for that ?

Woll gives up one stinker. The first one.
The rest were the usual in front of the net scrambles.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That was... by far the best Keefe postgame I've ever heard.

Called out our captain. Directly by name.

Called out our stars. Directly by name.

Called out how crap they've been defensively over the years in big moments.

Beautiful!
He sees the writing on the wall. Only a matter of time IMO. Dead man walking

I guess I’ll keep hoping they get dialed in before the playoffs but they sure don’t look to be making progress. I get that playing conservative/attention to detail hockey isn’t as much fun as the freewheeling chase the highlight reel style they prefer but shouldn’t team success after so much failure become the main priority?
They’re all(Willy starting next season) paid more than they’re worth so there shouldn’t be concern about running up big individual numbers for financial reasons. The crest needs to gain importance.

They’re a frustrating and puzzling group of individuals.
Expect first round loss. Hope for long playoff run. Good luck. This team and organization are proven losers on the ice.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
He sees the writing on the wall. Only a matter of time IMO. Dead man walking
I wonder what the line in the sand is on Keefe. I think it's easy enough to say that if the Leafs lose in the first round he will be let go, but if they win one round does he keep his job? Does it take winning two rounds? Three rounds? I thought for sure he was gone after last season, so maybe it takes winning two rounds this year for him to keep the job.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I wonder what the line in the sand is on Keefe. I think it's easy enough to say that if the Leafs lose in the first round he will be let go, but if they win one round does he keep his job? Does it take winning two rounds? Three rounds? I thought for sure he was gone after last season, so maybe it takes winning two rounds this year for him to keep the job.
They need to get to second round and make it a series. A repeat of last year is not enough IMO.

Reactions: HolyCrap

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
As someone who followed Woll throughout his AHL career I’m not surprised to see games like this. His hot start was what it was, a hot streak. Hopefully Samsonov is ready to go for playoffs
Be careful what you wish for. Sammy is a delicate flower, he seems to exaggerate injuries and we all know he’s capable of completely melting down

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Impotent offense, pre-season level defensive awareness, joke special teams and dogshit goaltending. All on display tonight.

This team is ready to take on the Panthers and Bruins more than ever.

Special teams is a coaching change away. Motivation etc as well.

Reactions: PromisedLand

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

Goals - March 26, 2024 Devils 6, Leafs 3​

The only Woll stinker was the first one.

JT lying on the ice because he wasn't fast enough after we lost the race to the puck on a 6-5 situation.
sad.

1711544604104.png

Reactions: PromisedLand

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I thought that the leafs played hard and deserved a better fate. Jersey definitely capitalized on their chances and we didn’t. I don’t understand why we still have as many bad defensive plays as we do, the system Keefe uses is flawed.

Also after a commercial break why does Keefe insist on playing the Kampf line. 5 minutes left in the game, coming off a commercial and the 4th line is out. Keefe needs to go, he can’t get this team to play smart hockey and that’s his job.

Injuries are starting to pile up also and I hope that a healthy lineup is available when playoffs start
That is the problem right there. You don't see Edm putting the 4th line on in that situation. You know Kucherov lines is out there, Pasta and Marchand are out there.

Keefe can't read the flow of the game.

Perfect example. Matthews scores to make it 3-2 then instead of coming back with Tavares or even the 3rd line he comes back with the 4 lines vs their top line and boom 44 seconds later game is tied.

Read the room you just scored 2 quick ones to take the lead and then you say here ya go Jersey tie it up. He gets outmatched against guys who are better match-up coaches.

Besides the TB series last year, he has been outcoached in each series. Cannot make in-game adjustments to what the other team is doing to his team

He is the one part of the Dubas regime that has to go. Bring me in a proven NHL winner who will have the respect of the players as he will coach the right way especially in the playoffs.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
its a Keefism. Like playing "selfish". Probably just means they made bad decisions but the Devils are fast so you gotta play fast.
I thought overall the Leafs were the better team especially in the 1st period. Defensively they weren't great, but they were better than New Jersey.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We play like last night and we are all in for a 4 game straight 1st round defeat .. yes there was a terrible goal against for sure by Woll .. but our compete level defensively was like a regular season pre XMAS game .. when your best D last night is Brodie then you are in deep sh*t .. Lily and Timmer folks they were awful .. bottom line not playoff worthy in slightest .. McCabe had a bad game .. Benoit too .. and backcheck was non-existent .. we were an easy beat .. very disappointed in that effort level and defensive play .. as i keep telling you guys offence dries up in late regular season hockey and games get won on D .. 3 goals for against Devils is enough .. but not with that defensive approach and effort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad