Post-Game Talk: Woll/Devils 5 plus EN, Leafs 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
With all these injuries? I wouldn't expect them to win as much.

But I still expect a high level of compete. I would be "happy" losing if we put in a good compete and fell short; whereas what we have seen for the last 8 years is sleeping and showing up for 10 minutes a game (if lucky).
NO team in the NHL competes for 82 games. Everyone has stinkers. But the Leafs dont have the sound team game to fall back on. Thats the coach. Keefe cant even rein in McCabe who is all over the ice and the worst dman on the team.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Don't think it surely would have. Maybe it would have, maybe not.

Having him back is obviously an upgrade though. This team has put out pathetic efforts against non-playoff teams all season long with Marner in the lineup as well.
For sure, I obviously wasnt being serious.
Shirley no one thought I was.

They do look lost coming out of the tunnel though without him personally firing up each and every player.

Let me know if you'd ever consider selling playoff tickets. I'd love to see a playoff game in Toronto one day :naughty:
Most likely selling all of them this year.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Well maybe not 100% because the defence was awful, but Woll just can’t let that first goal in when we’re dominating, nor let rebounds out in the slot. A few saves on the many odd man rushes or breakaways would have been nice too.

im agree d could be better for sure and a lot of soft play in defenside end... but after 1 it should be at worst 1-1, after 2 should be at worst 3-2 in leafs favors...

his reaction time right now is pretty slow, his positionning is pretty bad... thats why he only had 1 win in his last 5 or 6 game... right now he doesn't look like an NHL goalie

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Can’t wait until One of Toronto, Colorado, Vancouver or Florida prove this stupid theory wrong. Because they are built very similar to Toronto and about to enter the same cap situation Toronto is in.
They are not built like Toronto. This year the big 4 forwards in Toronto take up 48.5% of the cap. next year it increases to 53.3%. Colorado is at 38.9% this year, will drop to 37.1% next year with increasing cap. Fla is at 36.4% of the cap, next year even if the gave reinhart 12m, they won't, it would only be 41%, Vancouver when petterssons extention kicks in will still be only 35.6% on top 4 forwards,

The Leafs are spending 10 to 12 % of the cap more on their top 4 forwards. what does that extra `10-12 % of an 83 to 87 M cap buy. In Colorado's case it buys a Makar, In Fla s case it upgrades goaltending to a Bobrovsky (not saying its a good spend but that's where they put it), in Vancouvers case it pays for a Quinn Hughes

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Seems like I was lucky enough to have the game blacked out on ESPN+.

Was Woll really as bad as last night's save percentage?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I mean we've had so many injuries, which includes our Goaltenders. No top teams have faced as many injuries as w have

They’re not playing poorly because of injuries. Their standards are just pegged to the strength of their opposition and they play as seriously or unseriously as they feel the opposition is. They are not a serious group. Very talented. Very capable. We know who they are.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I don't know about the future, but as of right now. Colorado, Vancouver and Florida have cap structures completely different from ours.

It's not that far off if you actually go and look at it. The only thing saving Colorado at the moment is the fact that Landeskog is on LTIR which means they were able to spend a little bit more on defense. But most of their cap is tied up in their top forwards as well and then Makar makes 9 million.

our situation is similar most of our cap is tied into our forwards then Rielly at 7 million. the rest of the money spent on defense is comparable to ours but they have obviously made better investments in terms of the players.

2023/24 TOP 4 Forward Cost
TOR - 33.543 million
COL - 34.975 million (that's including Landeskog)
FLA - 30.425 million (they need to resign Sam Reinhart)
VAN - 26.950 million

so yes all these teams are spending around the same this season on their forwards. This idea that Toronto is the only team to operate this way is false. The only difference is COL has benefitted from LTIR and same with Vegas, additionally their star players have out performed ours in the playoffs which is a factor that cannot be denied or ignored. If our star players play like they are paid, this formula can win you a stanley cup.

No, they really are not

yes they are I just posted the numbers. going on to cap friendly and looking is free.

Last edited:

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
It's not that far off if you actually go and look at it. The only thing saving Colorado at the moment is the fact that Landeskog is on LTIR which means they were able to spend a little bit more on defense. But most of their cap is tied up in their top forwards as well and then Makar makes 9 million.

our situation is similar most of our cap is tied into our forwards then Rielly at 7 million. the rest of the money spent on defense is comparable to ours but they have obviously made better investments in terms of the players.

TOR - 33.543 million
VAN - 26.950 million

so yes all these teams are spending around the same this season on their forwards. This idea that Toronto is the only team to operate this way is false. The only difference is COL has benefitted from LTIR and same with Vegas, additionally their star players have out performed ours in the playoffs which is a factor that cannot be denied or ignored. If our star players play like they are paid, this formula can win you a stanley cup.

yes they are I just posted the numbers. going on to cap friendly and looking is free.
You forgot to add Nylander its 40.5M this year, next year increasing to 46.6M

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
They are not built like Toronto. This year the big 4 forwards in Toronto take up 48.5% of the cap. next year it increases to 53.3%. Colorado is at 38.9% this year, will drop to 37.1% next year with increasing cap. Fla is at 36.4% of the cap, next year even if the gave reinhart 12m, they won't, it would only be 41%, Vancouver when petterssons extention kicks in will still be only 35.6% on top 4 forwards,

The Leafs are spending 10 to 12 % of the cap more on their top 4 forwards. what does that extra `10-12 % of an 83 to 87 M cap buy. In Colorado's case it buys a Makar, In Fla s case it upgrades goaltending to a Bobrovsky (not saying its a good spend but that's where they put it), in Vancouvers case it pays for a Quinn Hughes

sure, after the 2024/25 season Toronto's numbers will be significantly lower than any of the other teams. 2024/25 is the highest it will ever be for Toronto. I'm sure they knew that when assembling the plan, the only thing is the probably factored in they would have won a cup by this point or have a deep run, plus they expected the cap to be significantly higher. I don't think Toronto is/was the only team who wanted to use this method, but they are the only team that failed to adjust to the cap numbers and not change their method, while other teams have.

You forgot to add Nylander its 40.5M this year, next year increasing to 46.6M

Yes, you are correct, I missed Nylander;s number in there. Thank you for the correction, I'll edit my post

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
For sure, I obviously wasnt being serious.
Shirley no one thought I was.

They do look lost coming out of the tunnel though without him personally firing up each and every player.

Most likely selling all of them this year.
What, you spend most of your time trolling now? You post so much nonsense, how is anyone supposed to know when you're being serious?

TOR - 33.543 million

VAN - 26.950 million

This number is way off.

I mean if thats the narrative, why are you getting so pressed up about this Loss to the Devils
I've haven't heard the expression "pressed up" before, what does that mean?

I don't care much about any regular season game, I'm all about the playoffs. Win game 1 of the playoffs and last night will be a distant memory. It wasn't an encouraging performance though, that's for damn sure.

myleafs

May 25, 2021

TOR - 33.543 million
VAN - 26.950 million

So real numbers from capfriendly tell a different story...where did you get your numbers cause they aint even close?

top 4 forwards this season

tor 40+m-------- (in 24-25 45m+)
col 32 --------- 32m)
fla 30 m -------- 34ish m
van 27m --------- 29

so no, all these teams are not spending the same on the top 4 forwards.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Despite the defensive errors, we should have won that game based on merit. Jake Allen was unbelievable and Woll was average at best.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
So real numbers from capfriendly tell a different story...where did you get your numbers cause they aint even close?

top 4 forwards this season

tor 40+m (in 24-25 45m+)
col 32 32m)
fla 30 m 34ish m
van 27m 29

so no, all these teams are not spending the same on the top 4 forwards.

I missed the Nylander cap hit for this season when calculating the 2023/24

myleafs

May 25, 2021
sure, after the 2024/25 season Toronto's numbers will be significantly lower than any of the other teams. 2024/25 is the highest it will ever be for Toronto. I'm sure they knew that when assembling the plan, the only thing is the probably factored in they would have won a cup by this point or have a deep run, plus they expected the cap to be significantly higher. I don't think Toronto is/was the only team who wanted to use this method, but they are the only team that failed to adjust to the cap numbers and not change their method, while other teams have.

Yes, you are correct, I missed Nylander;s number in there. Thank you for the correction, I'll edit my post
What makes you say that? Nylander matthews raises, marner raise and maybe tavares half price...still the highest in the league for 4 similar non gritty forwards.

You keep saying other teams did the same thing by giving so much of the cap to 4 forwards but clearly they did not.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
We've been playing like this for years. How many more years do you figure it will take to get it our of their system?

We're not locked into 3rd, TB is looming large in the rear view mirror, all you have to do is look.
Things will look interesting if Tampa wins tonight, but then the moment they go on the road they turn into a different team. Their home and road records are light years apart, but I'm not sure why.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Despite the defensive errors, we should have won that game based on merit. Jake Allen was unbelievable and Woll was average at best.
Offense was not the problem Cheating for offence and not paying much attention to defense was IMO. Same old Leafs.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
What makes you say that? Nylander matthews raises, marner raise and maybe tavares half price...still the highest in the league for 4 similar non gritty forwards.

You keep saying other teams did the same thing by giving so much of the cap to 4 forwards but clearly they did not.

I don't think Tavares is being resigned at half at all. There's zero incentive to give Tavares 5,6,7 million. I think he gets the Stamkos treatment. 2 or 3 million or theres the door. I could also see them moving on from Marner, either letting him walk or finding a hockey trade for him. Tavares beinfg more likely

Reactions: ToneDog

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
Everyone thinks the Edmonton game was a great victory. Sadly it was much like the Carolina come back game. Edmonton was awful and the Leafs took advantage when allowed. Toronto didn’t play well against Edmonton. Toronto did a good job of getting in the lanes to limit passes and shots against Edmonton. It’s clear against Philly and this game the cross seam passes were as wide as the 401 going thru Toronto. This team had no attention to detail. I think this team is stuck between a group that wants to go will when certain guys are out and group that’s content to be average when together. No Tavares or Marner this group went full bore guys come back and get spanked by Boston guys go out really good in the play in fight and then out again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad