WNBA considering Bay Area, Nashville, Toronto, Austin, Denver, Charlotte, Philadelphia, Portland for expansion

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Though, it was over a decade and a half ago, but there's nothing new to suggest that Charlotte would all of a sudden be huge supporters of a WNBA team.
If it was a bigger market WNBA probably should give it another go. But Charlotte ain't exactly NY or LA. So probably not worth the gamble.

Reactions: Reaser

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
So the meeting in Denver took place. The WNBA Commissioner met with Robert Cohen, Navin Dimond, Ashley Dimond, the Mayor of Denver, and the Governor of Colorado. They toured Ball Arena and DU's Magness Arena.

Navin is on the DU Board of Trustees, so if that's where the team plays my previous concerns about potentially high venue rent/ticket prices are gone. You'd have to imagine a Trustee can get a good deal on the arena. And that's if they don't get a Kroenke on board as a minority investor. Even if they don't, there's still a chance they'll play at Ball as Cohen serves on the Visit Denver sports committee alongside a Kroenke Sports exec, Matt Bell.

So, very quickly I have gone from seriously doubting Denver's chances to believing Denver is the clear favorite to be the next expansion franchise announced. The fact that they have an ownership group willing to put their names out there and meeting directly with the Commissioner, Mayor, and Governor while touring venues puts them far ahead of anybody else. Toronto would be my pick for the 2nd expansion team, given they sold out that preseason game this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad