WJC U20 2014 Sweden Roster

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
He has been injured a lot this season unfortunately. But recently he's been back playing and from what I've seen he's pretty much back to his old form now. I doubt it will be enough to get a spot at WJC though.

Ya, figured that was a contributing factor in his omission from the rosters above as well. Thanks for the info.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Oscar Dansk
Marcus Högberg
Jonas Johansson

Robin Norell
Christian Djoos
Jesper Pettersson
Ludwig Byström
Linus Arnesson
Arvid Lundberg
Gustaf Olofsson
Robert Hägg
Lukas Bengtsson

Jacob De La Rose
Alexander Wennberg
Ludvig Nilsson
Sebastian Collberg
Andreas Johnson
André Burakovsky
Filip Sandberg
Nick Sörensen
Gustav Possler
Edwin Hedberg
Erik Karlsson
Anton Karlsson
Lucas Wallmark
Oscar Sundqvist

Filip Forsberg, Elias Lindholm if released

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Clubs with most players on this roster (only including those who have played at senior level this season):
Frölunda HC: Collberg, Johnson, E. Karlsson, Wennberg
Modo Hockey: Hedberg, Hägg, Possler
Djurgårdens IF: Arnesson, Norell
Erie Otters: Burakovsky, Dansk
Mora IK: Bengtsson, Högberg
Skellefteå AIK: Lundberg, Sundqvist

http://www.hockeysverige.se/article/14927880/har-ar-arets-jvm-trupp

This link only includes 25 names - no Arnesson...

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Clubs with most players on this roster (only including those who have played at senior level this season):
Frölunda HC: Collberg, Johnson, E. Karlsson, Wennberg
Modo Hockey: Hedberg, Hägg, Possler
Djurgårdens IF: Arnesson, Norell
Erie Otters: Burakovsky, Dansk
Mora IK: Bengtsson, Högberg
Skellefteå AIK: Lundberg, Sundqvist

http://www.hockeysverige.se/article/14927880/har-ar-arets-jvm-trupp

This link only includes 25 names - no Arnesson...

Anton Karlsson from Frölunda as well. Also have Söberg on Norway.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Gotta be one of the oldest teams we've sent lately, a lot of pro experience.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Anton Karlsson must have made a big impression at 4 nations

Probably, he's really cooled off in J20. Adrian Kempe has impressed me more, should have gotten a chance in that russia tournament too.

Glad to see Norell make the team, he's looked really solid this year. Still wish we'd see a Nylander or Kylington on this roster, young game breakers. Anyone know who the reserves are?

Dec 3, 2012
Do you think a non-drafted player could be on the team? like Nylander,Karlsson or Lindblom?

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
wooot happy for A J, go johnson! I have a feeling that the leafs got a steal in him, hes already looking beastly in the sel

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Saying stuff like Sweden will be weak based on roster is silly. I mean, in terms of roster Sweden is TOP 3 in the World. With the right coaching this roster should be enough to win Gold.

In 2008, Sweden had much, much weaker team on paper but it was the strongest junior hockey from Team Sweden I've seen, including Gold winning team.

Goalies are better than last year, defensemen too, offense is as good, but if F.Forsberg and E.Lindholm will be released, I would give this team a nod here aswell.

BPilgrim

Dec 14, 2010
Renberg on the swedish JWC Roster in Hockeykväll: "A lot of players I don't know but we'll get to know them the next couple of weeks". Embarrassing to have him as expert on junior hockey on swedish television.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Renberg on the swedish JWC Roster in Hockeykväll: "A lot of players I don't know but we'll get to know them the next couple of weeks". Embarrassing to have him as expert on junior hockey on swedish television.

Ever since Wikegård left the real expert has been Härenstam. Him and Marie seem genuinely interested in junior hockey, Renberg doesn't care much. That's mainly why I'm not totally against Viasat doing the olympics, don't want to listen to Renberg calling Jonas Brodin an offensive defenceman etc.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
I don't think Renberg watches hockey other than when he's in the Hockeykväll studio.

He had Grönborg explain to him what style of player Jesper Pettersson was, 41 games into his SHL career. Ridiculous.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Don't think I've ever heard anyone say they like Renberg as a commentator. He just doesn't seem to care about hockey at all. He's basically stealing a living at this point.

Wikegård was a huge loss. At least Chris is still there, the likable sports nerd that he is. And Lehmann's awkward interviews are the stuff of legends :laugh:

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Don't think I've ever heard anyone say they like Renberg as a commentator. He just doesn't seem to care about hockey at all. He's basically stealing a living at this point.

Wikegård was a huge loss. At least Chris is still there, the likable sports nerd that he is. And Lehmann's awkward interviews are the stuff of legends :laugh:

His emotions after the gold medal win two years ago seemed genuine enough to me.

He's not the right guy to do the job that he has, but saying that he doesn't care about hockey at all is not very fair to him.

The sad thing is I don't think there is any realistic alternative out there that would be much better. SVT can't afford to bring Wikegård back and most former players and coaches have about as much personality as a block of concrete.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
His emotions after the gold medal win two years ago seemed genuine enough to me.

He's not the right guy to do the job that he has, but saying that he doesn't care about hockey at all is not very fair to him.

The sad thing is I don't think there is any realistic alternative out there that would be much better. SVT can't afford to bring Wikegård back and most former players and coaches have about as much personality as a block of concrete.

Maybe I went a bit OTT, but if not uninterested then he's just ridiculously lazy, not bothering to read up on players, not watching a ton of hockey and so on. Also, for a guy who's had a long, impressive NHL career he doesn't seem to offer a lot of valuable insight. Though, I remember him saying how Iginla used to be an ass on the ice, that kind of thing is interesting to hear.

I don't really dislike him otherwise, I liked him as a player, I'm just tired of the incompetence for a guy in his position. Agreed that it's slim pickings though.

BPilgrim

Dec 14, 2010
The lack of alternatives becomes obvious when SVT brings in Pebben who must be the least talkative guy on tv. It's like swedish is his second language or something.

If Renberg were to hockey what Hasse Backe is to football it would be fun, with some anecdotes from his career as someone above posted.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah, Hockeykväll is pretty much unwatchable these days. On topic, can't believe A. Karlsson made the roster over Kempe, or many other guys for that matter. I don't even think he's the best 96-born on his J20 team.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Yeah, Hockeykväll is pretty much unwatchable these days. On topic, can't believe A. Karlsson made the roster over Kempe, or many other guys for that matter. I don't even think he's the best 96-born on his J20 team.

Engvall is flying under the radar and his potential is huge, but at this point he doesn't have an edge on Karlsson.

I think the Swedish brass have his performance at the U17 WHC in recent memory and like that he can add both offence and grit to a fourth line.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013

If that isn't caring I don't know what is!
I'm not saying that Renberg is better than Wikegård I'm just saying that Renberg cares a lot.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
If that isn't caring I don't know what is!
I'm not saying that Renberg is better than Wikegård I'm just saying that Renberg cares a lot.

He cares about sweden winning, yes. Even casual sports fans jumped out of their seats when that goal was scored. He could put a lot more effort into actually knowing something about junior hockey in general, the swedish players, the opposing teams etc. He just uses the same clichés every game. "Han går rakt på mål, det är något vi måste göra oftare i svensk ishockey", I think he says this every single game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad